Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reloaders - what’s your favorite .270 recipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reloaders - what’s your favorite .270 recipe?

I have IMR 4064 on hand and 130 grain Barnes and Nosler BTs. Would consider buying another powder if you guys think it’s worth doing, but would certainly prefer to use what I have. Shooting a ‘83 Win. featherweight XTR. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My loads for the .270 have always been with IMR 4350. Basically the same charge weight of 55.0 gr/CCI 200 and just change the bullet. My original A-Bolt stainless stalker loves 130 gr. Sierra BT, 130 gr. Speer Grand Slams, 130 gr. Nosler BT. I changed over to the 140 gr. Hornady BTSP with 53.2 grains of IMR 4350 several years ago and haven't looked back.

Use what you have. I'm not sure what velocity you'll get, but if its an accurate load with the Barnes bullet I'd stick with it.

Comment

Necking the brass down to quarter cal.

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
        My loads for the .270 have always been with IMR 4350. Basically the same charge weight of 55.0 gr/CCI 200 and just change the bullet. My original A-Bolt stainless stalker loves 130 gr. Sierra BT, 130 gr. Speer Grand Slams, 130 gr. Nosler BT. I changed over to the 140 gr. Hornady BTSP with 53.2 grains of IMR 4350 several years ago and haven't looked back.

Use what you have. I'm not sure what velocity you'll get, but if its an accurate load with the Barnes bullet I'd stick with it.
        I use same powder with 130gr Speer. Not sure on amount but it’s shoots 3/8 group out of Tikka T3. Absolutely love this caliber and gun

Comment

4831sc 60 gr. The classic load for 130's in .270

nosler BT's ad accubonds shoot same poi.

Comment

55.5 gr IMR 4350 and a 130 Sierra hits like Thors hammer

Comment

56 gr IMR 4831, 130 gr SST and CCI 200 primer.
              Just started this year and the animals i have shot have not gone far. Doe dropped and buck only went about 20 yards but zero blood. Exit on doe was same size as entrance and bullet did not exit on buck.
              Might work on using a different bullet next year.

Comment

I also shoot 55.5gr IMR 4350 with 130gr Hornady spire point flat base cci/200... Shoot this load out of several different rifles and they all shoot it very well...

Edit: add that I used to shoot the Sierra 130 spitzer, but had issues with them coming apart on a hard bone hit. The Hornady has a heavier jacket and has held together much better for me.
                Last edited by SaltwaterSlick; 12-05-2018, 08:17 PM.

Comment

130 sierra gameking spbt.
                  57 grn imr 4831.

100 grn hornady spr pt
                  53 grn h 414
                  Last edited by steve morton; 12-05-2018, 09:08 PM. Reason: Second choice

Comment

Another one here shooting 55.5 grains of IMR-4350 with a 130 Sierra Gameking.

Comment

57 grains IMR 4831 , 130 Nosler BT

Comment

60gr H4831sc 140gr Berger VLD

Comment

Originally posted by DesertDug View Post

This here.........years ago I used the same load (regular H4831) and Partitions in my 22" barreled M700 Mountain Rifle. Ballistic Tips were too fragile for my tastes.

Stu

Comment

Originally posted by Cottonfish View Post
                            This here.........years ago I used the same load (regular H4831) and Partitions in my 22" barreled M700 Mountain Rifle. Ballistic Tips were too fragile for my tastes.

Stu

X3

H4831, 130 Partion or Accubond has worked well for years!

Comment

Originally posted by DesertDug View Post

Yep, mine loves 59 grains of 4831sc and 130 Nosler ballistic tips. In my rifle they are moving 3150 fps at the muzzle. from pigs and deer to elk and exotics they have all dropped like a sac of potatoes.

Comment

Working...
                              X