No announcement yet.

Deer Ducking Arrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting observation, Rick, about the arrow sound provoking ducking of the arrow. Seems to be little doubt that this arrow noise could be a significant factor, and worth trying to reduce -- especially considering the lightning-fast reactions of whitetails.

Also, not sure we can rule out the effect of the approaching arrow's movement. I wonder if the best solution would be to shoot as quiet a bow as possible with the quietest possible arrows AND shoot at a drastically quartering-away angle to minimize the effectiveness of the deer's extreme peripheral vision to pick up the arrow? (Basically, like a pass-rusher "blind-siding" the quarterback.)

Of course, it wouldn't be practical to put blinders on deer to "scientifically" test the peripheral vision effect. BUT, I would imagine there is plenty of video footage by hunters shooting from all angles that could be compared for the effects related to picking up arrow flight visually. The same footage would likely have audio to measure bow noise and arrow noise as well.

Comment

Here’s a question I honestly don’t know the answer to. It would seem to me that compound bows would shoot a quieter arrow in flight due to less paradox and typically smaller fletch and smaller broad heads. Is that flawed logic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Y'all are seriously over thinking this.

Gary

Comment

Why not not like I ha e anything better to do tonight

Comment

Originally posted by Dkincaid View Post
            Here’s a question I honestly don’t know the answer to. It would seem to me that compound bows would shoot a quieter arrow in flight due to less paradox and typically smaller fletch and smaller broad heads. Is that flawed logic?

I don't think the logic is flawed, but they are faster (generally), and although I don't know for sure, it makes sense to me, that a faster arrow might be a little louder simply due to the forces of wind resistance being increased.

Rick

Comment

Blazers fly quieter than feathers though. So faster, quieter should equate to less string jumping.
              Just get them close and you don't have to sweat it.

Comment

I'm not trying to convince anyone.

I'm simply sharing my belief based on personal experience, and asking the following question:

Since the arrow is undoubtedly the last thing (certainly after the bow sound) the deer will hear before it strikes, why not try to make it as quiet as possible also?

Rick

Comment

Not if it compromises flight stability.

Gary

Comment

Shooting from the shelf doesn't lend itself to shooting blazers.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                      Not if it compromises flight stability.

Gary
                      I agree completely, and am not suggesting anyone do that.
                      I certainly won't. I just work with my tune, until I get an arrow, that does not require a lot of flecthing to stabilize the broadhead flight. Of course I take it a step further, and shoot vanes, but that too is all in the tuning.

Shooting from the shelf doesn't lend itself to shooting blazers.

Gary
                      None of us are shooting machines, but if we were we could use any vane from the shelf with no problems at all.

Shooting any vane from the shelf requires a real good tune.
                      But, even then the vanes we choose to use need to be soft & flexible enough to compensate for the occasional human error factor during the shot.

Rick

Comment

So it's your postulation that I could shoot vanes and the paradox would keep the vane from hitting the shelf just like it does for the cock feather in?

Comment

So it's your postulation that I could shoot vanes and the paradox would keep the vane from hitting the shelf just like it does for the cock feather in?
                          Yes.

I shot vanes off my Blackwidow PMA almost exclusively. The shelves on the BW's are almost perfect for it.

Even the bows not having an ideal shelf for it, can be easily modified (at the shelf) to allow for good vane tuning & flight.

Cock feather in works quite well with any fletching, but is almost a must for vanes.

Rick

Comment

Okay. I'm going to try this. Actually though I'm not ready to modify my shelf so hopefully it will work without that. I already shoot cock feather in.

Gary

Comment

Okay. I'm going to try this. Actually though I'm not ready to modify my shelf so hopefully it will work without that. I already shoot cock feather in.

Gary
                              Which bow?

When I say modify the shelf, I don't mean doing anything permanent.

I can help you figure out what to do with the shelf, that won't alter it in any way. It'll just get the arrow setting a little different to help get the clearance you need.

All I did on my BW was to put a 1/4" bump under the shelf covering, and it was all I needed.

Rick

Comment

I have two. The Tall Tines and the new Primaltech. I'll try it after hunting season.

Gary

Comment

Working...
                                X