X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer Ducking Arrow

Deer Ducking Arrow.

Best viewed full screen:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
    I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO

Even though I'm a hunter, I also enjoy simply setting & watching animals just as much.

What really turned me on to the arrow quietness theory is from watching deer, and how they react to birds flying in toward them, or closely by over them.

The deer often hear the birds coming at them, and they duck just like they do when we shoot an arrow at them.

A friend of mine, and I also started playing sound games with the deer, then comparing notes of what we were seeing when we did.
    We would actually clack things together "loudly" to see what reactions we would get from them.
    We seriously were making clanking clacking sounds much louder than even the loudest of bow shots.
    While those sounds definitely got the deer's attention, they seldom did anything other than just look toward the direction of the sound. The closer they were the more earnest they were in their attention to the sound, and they might "violently flinch", but they seldom ducked. They just looked our way, and we conducted those tests from as close as 10 yards

That prompted me to start paying attention to the noise of my arrows in flight, and I quickly noticed, that the quieter my arrows were, the less the deer ducked, AND consequently the more success I started having with my shots.

Deer don't see well at all, but their hearing is phenomenal (to put it mildly).
    There is no doubt in my mind, that they hear the arrow coming toward them long before it gets there,
    and the quieter the arrow is in flight, the less likely the deer are to duck, and/or otherwise move.

Rick

I agree mostly except the whole deer don’t see well. The ones I hunt do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

So all I need is an arrow going faster than 1,125fps...... It always amazes me when I watch video of a deer ducking an arrow. Darn things are like furry ninja.

Richard

Comment

Deer see movement on a scale that is far beyond he human eye. This is due to the makeup of their eyes and how wide their peripheral vision is. I believe they hear the sound and notice the movement causing their reaction. One thing is sure we will never really know what a deer can see or hear but we can make educated guesses. Less sound is good less smell is good and less movement is good.

Comment

So is the difference in a shield cut feather and a parabolic cut feather significant enough in sound or arrow stabilization to choose one over the other?

Gary

Comment

From the testing I have done, I can offer 4 suggestions/opinions:

(1) Parabolic fletching is quietest in flight

(2) An arrow tuned well enough to achieve good flight with a broadhead & "minimal fletching" will be quieter in flight.

(3) Minimal offset/helical will be quieter in flight

(4) Parabolic vanes are the quietest of all

(5) Thick wall, or solid shafts will produce the least amount of harmonic sounds in flight

Rick

Comment

I started to order new shafts and a set of feathers as well then decided to ask first. I've been using shield cut as that is what came on the original arrows I bought. Thought about changing but don't want to sacrifice fight for a minimal sound savings.

Gary

Comment

I don't know... I'm not following the logical jump, and the math doesn't work either, for the deer to have heard the arrow in flight before it heard the bow.
                Since the conclusion that quiet arrows are beneficial is based on a false premise, the whole thing is a house of cards. Better to have a quiet bow.
                Also, long before the arrow arrives the deer could and would have noticed movement, and even your tests suggest that a loud sound without quickly approaching movement do not alarm deer. Seems like they are more likely reacting to movement caught with their eyes than the sound of the bow.

Also your link doesn't work for me so here:
                [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDBLw0-vh74"]Deer Ducking The Arrow - YouTube[/ame]

All you have to do is copy the YouTube url from your browser, paste it directly into your post, and take the "s" out of "https." Voila!
                Last edited by meltingfeather; 12-05-2018, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                  I don't know... I'm not following the logical jump, and the math doesn't work either, for the deer to be hearing the arrow in flight before it heard the bow.
                  Also your link doesn't work for me so here:
                  Deer Ducking The Arrow - YouTube

All you have to do is copy the YouTube url from your browser, paste it directly into your post, and take the "s" out of "https." Voila!
                  The deer didn't hear the arrow in flight before it heard the bow. They (both deer) heard the bow almost instantly at the shot, AND ignored that sound. Then, the deer being shot at ducked at the sound of the arrow as it got close.

Thanks for the tip on embedding the video. TBH changed something a while back, and I haven't been able to make video embed since.

Rick

Comment

Think about it:
                    at 25 yards the sound takes 0.07 seconds to travel from the bow to the deer.
                    In that time the arrow has covered 13.3 ft.
                    The sound of the arrow at that moment will reach the deer another 0.05 seconds later, or a total of 0.12 seconds after release.
                    No matter how you slice it or what time period you look at, the first sound to reach the deer is the bow, not the arrow in flight.
                    This is easy to check with your phone on slow-mo... I've done it.
                    Record slow motion video from your phone adjacent to your target. You hear the bow first, then the gradually increasing sound of the arrow as it approaches.

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
                      The deer didn't hear the arrow in flight before it heard the bow. They (both deer) heard the bow almost instantly at the shot, AND ignored that sound. Then, the deer being shot at ducked at the sound of the arrow as it got close.
                      Oh I gotcha... misunderstood the first time.
                      Interesting theory.
                      I also love to watch deer and am constantly testing little things out (mostly drawing and letting off), when I'm watching non-target deer.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                        Think about it:
                        at 25 yards the sound takes 0.07 seconds to travel from the bow to the deer.
                        In that time the arrow has covered 13.3 ft.
                        The sound of the arrow at that moment will reach the deer another 0.05 seconds later, or a total of 0.12 seconds after release.
                        No matter how you slice it or what time period you look at, the first sound to reach the deer is the bow, not the arrow in flight.
                        This is easy to check with your phone on slow-mo... I've done it.
                        Record slow motion video from your phone adjacent to your target. You hear the bow first, then the gradually increasing sound of the arrow as it approaches.
                        That's exactly what I said - the deer heard the bow first, and ignored the sound, but when it heard the buzzing of the approaching arrow it ducked.

Rick

Comment

Or saw the shaft in flight or the movement of the bow hunter or bow

Comment

Originally posted by Dkincaid View Post
                            Or saw the shaft in flight or the movement of the bow hunter or bow

Possibly. I'm not saying other things could not have been in play, but for me & my thinking after observing, and testing it for a long time, they do duck the sound of the arrow.

I just watched a video on deer study two nights ago. An in depth study of their habitats, behavior, and their physical capabilities.

That study concluded, that compared to human vision, the deer are virtually blind. They primarily only see angular (horizontal, vertical, diagonal) movement , and even that movement is difficult for them to see if there isn't a good backdrop for it to contrast against.

Now, with that study in mind - an incoming arrow doesn't have much angular movement. It's likely to have some wobble, but that wobble is relatively small in scale compared to whatever backdrop there may be.

Could the deer see the arrow coming. Maybe. I won't argue it couldn't, but what I will present as pretty good food for thought is - They may not perceive the arrow as something approaching them if it is quiet (or quieter as it were).

Rick

Comment

Rick, what do you suggest for getting the arrow quite?

Comment

Working...
                              X