Is this a pond and if so what size?

Comment

Originally posted by Tbar View Post

It says in the OP that it is a 1 acre pond

Comment

Originally posted by Tbar View Post
        A pond right under an acre. Grandfather dug it in the 50's, dad said he's never seen anything like this before. We haven't added any fish in probably 7 years.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

It's been almost two years since I made this original post. I had just started to manage this pond and since then have been feeding, added tilapia, and culling bass. We have a much healthier fish population and larger bass than in the past.

I noticed a small bass with three spots last week. Have now seen a few more and found this little guy dead with the fungus today. Really disheartening. The last outbreak seemed to reset the bass population to square one.

I spoke to Overton's when it originally happened and they said whatever it is just has to run its course.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Man, that stinks. Hopefully it'll be a short course!!! Best of luck

Comment

Covid

Comment

I’m not a expert but those fish look stunted as well. I would Rotenon the pond as well as add copper and kill it all. If possible drain it and start over.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                  I agree. You need to have it looked at by a pro
                  I'll third this.

Comment

Our family pond that was similar in size had the same problem with that fungus years ago. We never found a solution. My grandfather spoke to someone and they told him to not touch the fish you where going to release, so it didn’t damage the slime membrane and allow the fungus to start to grow.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                      I’m not a expert but those fish look stunted as well. I would Rotenon the pond as well as add copper and kill it all. If possible drain it and start over.
                      This one is only about six inches. Almost all I've caught with size have been at or above weight according to the charts. If not I cull them.

I've thought about killing off and starting over. If I have a big die off again I'll probably just cull and forget the feeding and adding forage fish.

Comment

Originally posted by CEO View Post
                        This one is only about six inches. Almost all I've caught with size have been at or above weight according to the charts. If not I cull them.

I've thought about killing off and starting over. If I have a big die off again I'll probably just cull and forget the feeding and adding forage fish.
                        Either way you have to kill the parasite. I read copper kills it but not sure what that does to the bass. Again I would do a complete start over

Comment

Working...
                        X