Whitetail Deer Movement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whitetail Deer Movement

Can anyone simply a day in the life of a whitetail deer doe/buck?

The more I read the more confusing it seems to get.

Leaving out moon phases, weather patterns, rut, etc.

A deer does what during the day time and what during the night time. Then what during dawn and dusk.

When does a deer bed down and when does a deer feed?
    How often do they move?

Thanks

Originally posted by TXHunter12 View Post

A deer does what during the day time and what during the night time. Then what during dawn and dusk.

How often do they move?

Thanks
    If you want to leave out moon phases, you cant get an answer.

Comment

I like this thread idea. Why not? Let’s all share the most basic of whitetail/hunting knowledge. Who knows who all might read this thread and truly gain something from it. Think about all the newbies who might be too shy or embarrassed to ask the simplest of questions. It could be a hugely successful thread.

Comment

Sleep Eat Sleep Eat Sleep Eat
        About every 4-7 hrs they need to eat depending on what they’re eating.
        Sometimes they have to travel a long ways between bed and food. Sometimes they don’t. Rut changes things. Not as much eating or sleeping for the bucks.

Comment

I read an article last summer written by a professional hunter or wildlife biologist, I cant remember which.
          He and his friend did a 15 year study of deer movement. 5000hr in the woods and they concluded that normal deer activity was determained by the moon. He said that if the moon is on the horizon either going up on down the deer would be on their feet. If the moon was straight over head they would be on their feet, day or night. Actually this was not about phases just moon position. But phases did play a part. This year I planned just about every hunt on this article. Some days the moon would rise at 10 so I'd get in the stand ar 9. I'd see deer from about the time I got in for about 2 or 3 hours. This happened more often whether I was in the hill country or east Tx

Comment

Originally posted by BolilloLoco View Post
            Sometimes they have to travel a long ways between bed and food. Sometimes they don’t. Rut changes things. Not as much eating or sleeping for the bucks.
            I thought it was Eat. Sleep. Fish.

Comment

How often do they move?

Thanks
              Moon position and phases affect deer movement, feed patterns. So to answer your question all of that would have to be included.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                I read an article last summer written by a professional hunter or wildlife biologist, I cant remember which.
                He and his friend did a 15 year study of deer movement. 5000hr in the woods and they concluded that normal deer activity was determained by the moon. He said that if the moon is on the horizon either going up on down the deer would be on their feet. If the moon was straight over head they would be on their feet, day or night. Actually this was not about phases just moon position. But phases did play a part. This year I planned just about every hunt on this article. Some days the moon would rise at 10 so I'd get in the stand ar 9. I'd see deer from about the time I got in for about 2 or 3 hours. This happened more often whether I was in the hill country or east Tx
                Yessir, pretty accurate

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                  interesting. any discernible pattern on doe sightings vs. buck sightings at these times?

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                    interesting. any discernible pattern on doe sightings vs. buck sightings at these times?
                    I dont recall anything that stood out. Most of my hunts this year were on the ground in a ghillie suit with hand corn. I had a lot of deer every sit during the hour i mentioned above.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post

I’ve read different studies saying different things on the moon. Not disagreeing at all. That was the only reason I said leaving the moon phases out just to simply things. But I think they are important to the discussion as well.

Comment

Originally posted by BolilloLoco View Post
                        So do they sleep in their feeding areas at night and eat in their resting areas during the day?

Comment

Interesting topic

Comment

So do they sleep in their feeding areas at night and eat in their resting areas during the day?
                            Yessir. We all know they prefer to move in low light situations. Everything I’ve read claims mature deer will travel further to feed at night than they will in the daytime. They will rest near the nighttime feeding location at night. Then move to their daytime bedding area in the morning. They feed close to the daytime bedding area during the day. In South Texas/Mexico they usually don’t have to travel too far for food. So they could spend day and night in same bed if they like the groceries nearby. This is how I interpreted it anyways.

Comment

https://www.qdma.com/10-things-know-...uck-movements/

I’ve read different studies saying different things on the moon. Not disagreeing at all. That was the only reason I said leaving the moon phases out just to simply things. But I think they are important to the discussion as well.
                              I've seen that and the one showing how the moon phase had no affect on rut timing too.

I've been running cameras in 3 different counties for 6 years or so and can probably count on my hand how many mature buck pics I've had between 10am and 3pm. Sure they could be up and moving midday but being bow spots, if he ain't on my camera I don't have a shot anyway. If I was a rifle hunter I would no doubt be inclined to sit a lot longer.

It's an interesting topic, one of my hunting buddies swears by the moon... He also swears by ozonics and will hunt bad winds telling me how many deer he still sees, all young bucks and does, he has yet to kill a target buck and was complaining yesterday how he's only ever seen 1 mature buck in person

Comment

Working...
                              X