Any TBH Billiards Players?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
    Nah man, that's a dead place, for the most part.
    Remember the Branch Office days
    The Moose lodge has a tournament on Wed, the Elks have tables, as well as the VFW.
    There was a place out Summerhill that 2 diamonds bar boxes but haven't been there in 3 yrs or so.
    Do you know Yang(yangsta the gangsta)?
    Really cool Asian guy, frequents shooters, and probably the best player you will see around there.
    He's good as gold, and if you like pool, he's in the center of everything pool related around those parts.
    He won't be hard to find, and can point you to private rooms and tables.
    Last time I was in shooters, they had the simonis on that 9ft pulled so tight, it was like playing on glass!!

I’m probably too young for the branch office days. I hang around areas south of Fouke around Doddridge/Atlanta. 3 states area. Grew up in Doddridge. If I play, it’s mostly in ida la. Bar tables, but Covid put the damper on that.

Comment

Originally posted by SRK14 View Post
      I’m probably too young for the branch office days. I hang around areas south of Fouke around Doddridge/Atlanta. 3 states area. Grew up in Doddridge. If I play, it’s mostly in ida la. Bar tables, but Covid put the damper on that.
      Down there, you don't have many options.
      Shreveport or Little Rock will be your closest options, for a real pool hall..
      Covid is about to wipe out pool across the US .

Comment

I'm banking on it!!
        Anyone you've never seen play, should be of great concern .
        Underestimate no one in this game, because it does not require the same prerequisites as most other sports.
        It does not require you to be in good shape, young or old, short or tall, male or female.
        "That's why, we play the game".............

Comment

Originally posted by sailor View Post
          "That's why, we play the game".............
          Amen!

Comment

No worries, everyone does .
            Now what tip are you going to put on it?
            That's as bad as what broadhead to shoot
            Feels like I'm being set up

Probably Kamui Original Medium but that is based on some research, not experience.

Comment

Originally posted by tmurray View Post
              Found this old thread and have a question for you pros. I’ve always been an above average non-player. Just played a ton in college (15 years ago). My neighbor and I hang out quite a bit and he recently put a nice 8’ table in his house. We play fairly often but we’ve only ever had crappy sticks. The beat being a $50 graphite cue from Academy.

I want to get into a nice set of cues but don’t know what I’m looking for. I am fairly handy at putting English on the ball but need to be way better.

Should I be looking for 1 do it all cue? Should I have a fat tipped 25oz breaking cue?

Also, if I go to a billiards store can I demo them or am I better off listening to advice here and ordering online?

I tend to gravitate towards heavier cues when available, love a 21oz stick.

Take me to school please.
              Lots of good info but you did ask some specific questions that can be answered. You can call the billiard factory in Stafford and see if they’ll let you try their cues as I’m sure they will to get a general feel. Probably need to understand that this won’t be your forever cue probably. Generally I’d start with a medium tip and don’t worry about using English so much. I’d forget about getting a breaking cue and just use a heavy house cue. Lighter the cue the more action you’ll impart so something g around 19/20 is a good happy medium. I played for 20 years with a 15 and I can tell you the action will hold you back. Enjoy the ride and think more about your table planning after the break rather than worrying about max English. Hope some of this is helpful.
              Know when to hit them and when not to.
              Last edited by Leon County Slayer; 01-13-2021, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Probably Kamui Original Medium but that is based on some research, not experience.
                Nah it's preferance they all will work.
                I've always played with a hard or superhard, shaved down to about a 3/16 thickness with a pad under it.
                I don't like having much tip.
                Talisman is my go too.
                Like Snipers as well.

Comment

This thread makes me want to go home and watch The Color of Money tonight

Been a long time since I've played.

Comment

Stayed at the pool hall growing up but the game was snooker. Been many many years.

Comment

My Mother in law,and Father in law still play regularly.They live in N.Iowa..Both are very,very good.I don't even practice in front of them anymore.They play in lot's of tournaments.All over the Midwest.

Comment

I like a Kamui medium soft on a limber shaft. Get a pick and throw your old scuffer away. The tip will look ast yhpusandscof games.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                          Man you done gone and skeered me with all that pool info. I got me an ol 1980s Mucci poker to hit balls with. Bought me a custom OB Diablo with a rare #1plus shaft pro tapered to 13mm. Low deflection after shooting a high deflection 9.5mm shaft. Hated it. Played a Predator full carbon shaft. Hit great but just didnt have the feel of that limber old hoe handle . I'm back to th ge Mucci with a medium soft.

I'll never be all great. im too old and my back is bad. I will play you left handed though. 500 bucks race to ten if you give me 4 on the wire.
                          I see what u did there.

Comment

When's the tournament ???
                            and where ?

Comment

Any one ranked in apa?

Comment

Ok. Was on here earlier today and it kinda gave me the bug again. Accidentally stopped by the billiard factory on the way home and picked up a nice little Birdseye maple Lucasi custom with blue floating inlays. You just can’t afford to get on the green screen anymore!

Comment

Working...
                                X