Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weekend in East Texas

Ladies and Gents,

I have lived in Texas all my life, but have never really ventured much into East Texas. I am not really sure where those of you that live there call the "border line" of your area, but I would like to spend a weekend during the spring. I do not have a certain specific location in mind, but I am thinking Longview east along 20, and from that northern line, south to Huntsville and east to the state line as an area to check out. I know that is a big area to ask about, but I honestly do not have much of a clue. Sure I can google it, but I would rather have some direct info from those of you that live in those areas. What are the "must do's, must see's, must eat"? Where to stay, and use $200 or less per night as your guideline. I truly enjoy reading about those of you that live in that part of Texas, you have a lingo and lifestyle much different than this hill country cedar chopper.
    Thanks!

Check out caddo lake for sure.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Anthonysince94 View Post
      Check out caddo lake for sure.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
      Caddo Lake is very cool and Jefferson has a cool shopping area downtown. There is a cornbread place people line up for that I have never eaten at, due to not wanting to stand in line, but the BBQ place next door is very good and not much of a line. Gladewater has a cool downtown for shops and antiques. The Sabine National Forest is also a beautiful place to drive through. I would suggest staying away from Tyler due to the CRAZY traffic. Canton is fun with the wife and the tacos shop out by I-20 is amazing. On Target Archery is also just west of Canton and has a cool 3D range and virtual reality indoor hunting course, if yo want to take your bow along for the ride. If you get to Lindale you will have to eat at either BBQ Love of Bodacious BBQ.

Comment

I would recommend making it all the way to SH 87 and take a day to venture around Shelby, Sabine, Jasper counties. Not sure it gets more deep east Texas than San Augustine, Center, Hemphill, Jasper etc., etc. But I would be partial due to spending most of my teen years in Sabine County.

Rwc

Comment

Originally posted by Rwc View Post
          I would recommend making it all the way to SH 87 and take a day to venture around Shelby, Sabine, Jasper counties. Not sure it gets more deep east Texas than San Augustine, Center, Hemphill, Jasper etc., etc. But I would be partial due to spending most of my teen years in Sabine County.

Rwc
          This would be my suggestion also. I hunt that area and love it! Not mention your minutes from Toledo Bend and about 25 to 30 mins from Rayburn. Nacogdoches is right there also, oldest town in Texas
          Last edited by hogslayer78; 01-13-2021, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Caddo

Comment

Originally posted by Rwc View Post

Rwc
              This ^^^

While there's not much to do or see in Jasper (retirement town), we do have Sam Rayburn north of us about 12 miles. Spring time is the second best time of the year to fish Big Sam. There's a ton of RV places to stay at around the lake and some marinas have cabins you can rent at a fairly decent price. The Neches/Angelina River Dam B WMA is west of town about 15 miles. Bring a yak/canoe and spend a day or two paddling these rivers, it's well worth it.

Comment

Jefferson usually has several events over the weekends in the spring. I would probably pick there just because you're going to be new to the area and with a weekend (assume arriving Friday afternoon and leaving out Sunday afternoon early) as your time limit, you will want a variety of things to do without having to spend much time traveling. Having said that, Nacogdoches, Gladewater, or Lindale would all be good options as well.

Comment

Just as others have suggested.....

I'd start in Beaumont and start north up through Jasper, St.Augustine, up to Caddo and spend a day or two. Once the wandering journey is completed you'll have a pretty good feel for East Texas. The drive alone will do that, but, Caddo is like stepping back in time, a loooooooong way back.

Comment

Plan your trip for when the dogwoods are blooming.

Comment

Caddo is a must see. Take a boat tour. I believe the state park there has cabins.

Comment

Good advice so far. Might camp a night at Ratcliff Lake . If you like hiking there us a long trail from the lake all the way into Big Slough wilderness.

Comment

Originally posted by doright View Post
                          Plan your trip for when the dogwoods are blooming.
                          U beat me too it. Like the hill country bloom but in reverse. [emoji6]
                          Bodacious BBQ definitely with Caddo Lake.....the only natural lake in the Lone Star state. It reminds me of what I grew up in SE Louisiana........half of Caddo lake is actually in Louisiana. The drive north out of Jefferson/Marshall is nice also.....which would be between I-20 and I-30 that would make a nice loop thru east Texas. I covered all of east Texas for a decade with BASF as the forestry and "right away" chemical rep. It's pretty interesting and totally different than the national impression of Texas. Probably more like Central and North Louisiana honestly. Most mid size town now have Hampton inns, Fairfield inns, holiday inns, etc. Not hard to find very decent lodging at fair rates. Thx for the reminder as I need to geaux up to Hooks, TX soon to check on my wife's family land and ours since the neighbors have decided to hunt on it....lol[emoji854]

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Ishi&Elvis View Post
                            Ladies and Gents,

I have lived in Texas all my life, but have never really ventured much into East Texas. I am not really sure where those of you that live there call the "border line" of your area, but I would like to spend a weekend during the spring. I do not have a certain specific location in mind, but I am thinking Longview east along 20, and from that northern line, south to Huntsville and east to the state line as an area to check out. I know that is a big area to ask about, but I honestly do not have much of a clue. Sure I can google it, but I would rather have some direct info from those of you that live in those areas. What are the "must do's, must see's, must eat"? Where to stay, and use $200 or less per night as your guideline. I truly enjoy reading about those of you that live in that part of Texas, you have a lingo and lifestyle much different than this hill country cedar chopper.
                            Thanks!
                            Hiway 87 is a nice drive. SETx has some really nice wineries. Wild Azalea Canyons are pretty nice to see. If you decide to ride 87, go East at Milam, cross T-Bend at the Pendleton bridge and go to Many, La and see the Hodges Gardens. If you go as far West as Huntsville, go by Ables Ammo/Sporting. March, April is a great time to go.
                            Ifyou do go to Huntsville, take 105 to Cleveland, 1725 to Hway150(Texas Forest Trail) to New Waverly, then 45 to Huntsville, its a pretty drive.

You didn't say if you are going on motorcycles, but if you are all those are nice rides.

Hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by dpg481 View Post
                              Caddo Lake is very cool and Jefferson has a cool shopping area downtown. There is a cornbread place people line up for that I have never eaten at, due to not wanting to stand in line, but the BBQ place next door is very good and not much of a line.
                              Stay away from the cornbread place, but Riverport BBQ is legit.

Spend a weekend at Caddo. I know a guy that leases his house on the lake (think VRBO, but independently), it's a great place if you're interested.

Comment

Working...
                              X