No announcement yet.

Is this blueberries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it’s an elbow bush how do you reconcile “they are sweet” with “not palatable?”

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
      If it’s an elbow bush how do you reconcile “they are sweet” with “not palatable?”
      Cause I ate one, didnt read the internet. Whatever these are, they are sweet like a brown fig. Im just going with what I been told and read.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Calrob View Post
        Green wild plums next to this other fruit.

Blueberries I'm used to seeing on my Dad's bushes. He has like 100

Comment

My guess is channel cat.

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
            My guess is channel cat.
            Maybe needs another year?

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post

PH and macronutrients greatly effect fruit flavor.
              Whoever wrote the anecdotal “not palatable” may have been in an area with soil conditions not conducive to good tasting Elbowbush fruit.

Unfortunately, most wild plant books simply parrot what book came before them, without properly sourcing the information themselves. So, the idea that they are known to be “not palatable” may literally be from a single person’s perspective, and taken with incomplete knowledge of the species.

I have found many things to be much better than described in plant ID books, simply by figuring out when that specific plant might taste best in my region. Wild ramps and garlic come to mind. Taken too late in the spring, and they could choke a cow. Eat them just after bud break in the spring, and they are awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Another year, they only bare fruit every five years. So you mean it needs fives years.

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
                  Another year, they only bare fruit every five years. So you mean it needs fives years.
                  I aint waiting 5 more years. They're tasty right now. Whatever the chickens dont eat, Im eating.

Comment

New Mexico privet ( New Mexico olive) , or desert olive is for sure what it is. Birds eat them, but not sure about people.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                      PH and macronutrients greatly effect fruit flavor.
                      Whoever wrote the anecdotal “not palatable” may have been in an area with soil conditions not conducive to good tasting Elbowbush fruit.

Unfortunately, most wild plant books simply parrot what book came before them, without properly sourcing the information themselves. So, the idea that they are known to be “not palatable” may literally be from a single person’s perspective, and taken with incomplete knowledge of the species.

I have found many things to be much better than described in plant ID books, simply by figuring out when that specific plant might taste best in my region. Wild ramps and garlic come to mind. Taken too late in the spring, and they could choke a cow. Eat them just after bud break in the spring, and they are awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      I absolutely dont believe what a scientist or the wiki page says, I need to find out for myself. Your post is most appreciated. What I have is sweet and very palatable. Thanks for the post.

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
                        Yea, this isnt very fun. I like em. Ill be like that pet coon we've all heard about tomorrow.....

Comment

seeds will be the next best clue

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                            seeds will be the next best clue
                            I think we've solved it without needing to take it to the stool sample review level.

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
                              Elbowbush. Even consuming a small amount results in male pattern baldness and impotence. Other than that, there are no real side effects.
                              Hmmnn, I don't remember ever eating any of those. Must cause memory loss too.......

Comment

Originally posted by Calrob View Post
                                I ate one, it's really sweet.

Mevican Plum or a Wild plum of some sort. Not Blueberry.

Comment

Working...
                                X