No announcement yet.

Neck Shot Placement Diagram

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Theres a lot to be said for a thump and dump or a clean miss.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Comment

Neck Shot Placement Diagram

I made what I thought was a great placed neck shot with a 308, she wadded up on the ground and kept moving. She wouldn’t give me another kill shot untill she got up and did a zombie walk. Two shots to the neck finally did her in. Crazy will to live.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have done a couple of neck shots, both from the side, and both with 30-06. Midway between head and body, middle of the neck. Not too messy, and both right there. Also within 50 yds.
        The best buck I ever killed, was hit in the neck, but that wasn't where I intended. I saw him from 1000 yds off, and moved to the other side of the hill and went about a half mile fairly quickly. He didn't show up for a couple of mins, and when he did he was about 275 yds out. My 7 mag was sighted dead on at 200, so I aimed 2/3rds of the way up his shoulder. Sitting, using elbows on knees for a rest, I touched it off. Saw feet go in the air, and he fell over and quivered a bit, then was still. When I got down there I saw I hit him in the neck, about 6" from the shoulder. Didn't break the neck, or hit any blood vessels. I didn't find anything that told me it was a fatal shot.

Under normal circumstances the 275 yd shot was an easy shot for me, but the combination of double timing a half mile, and shooting at the best buck I had ever shot at, the bullet impact was a foot to the left of where I intended.
        I don't practice field position shooting near often enough, and almost missed the best deer I have killed, so far.
        I can admit to a bad shot, because I don't have an issue bragging about a good shot.

Comment

Originally posted by ATI View Post
          when I have to, I shoot right where the neck starts. In the area that's not exactly the shoulder or the neck. It has never failed, they drop like a brick.
          This is my preferred shot placement with a rifle. Base of the neck doesn't wiggle around like the head/top of the neck does. It's almost as big as the shoulder. Great target. DRT every time.

Comment

Originally posted by Raypo View Post
            ;o)

Yeah, I didn't have to peal anything back. That is what that 50 Cal one-oz 12ga solid copper hollow point slug with 4 petals does when it opens up.

Entrance hole was 50 cal size in the front. It lifted her completely off the ground for a complete back flip. Buckshot-73 helped me drag her out. Ain't my first head or neck shot with a slug gun. Just depends on the gun and the situation if I take that shot. Last one I shot with that particular slug gun was at the base of the neck like SC-Texas pic, at 85 yards. Nothing special except I had to shoot her left handed because they came in on my right. I'm right handed. And I couldn't get up and turn to shoot without getting busted. So I just shot here left handed. I used to switch shoot regularly at the range many many moons ago, both rifle and pistol.

Comment

Originally posted by SC-Texas View Post
              If they are head down eating, the shoulder forms a point to the best place to aim

Can you give me some details about that rifle? It’s a nice looking rig

Comment

Originally posted by 6.5CM View Post
                Can you give me some details about that rifle? It’s a nice looking rig
                POF P-308 20" W/ a Vortex Razor HD 5-25 gen 1 and a Surefire SOCOM762RC with a Rifles Only HAD suppressor Cover

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper View Post
                  Look at mine again Doc, there's no brain left, you're looking at the exit side. I should have mentioned I don't take head shots over 50ish yards. I like the neck roast and prefer not to destroy it if i can when I'm getting boom stick meat. But let's face it a carbon injection through the boiler room is more fun.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

You’re right, I see the bullet path up higher between the ear and eye. [emoji106]

I saw a deer that had been wounded in the jaw once. Never gotten rid of that image in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by DocHolliday View Post
                    You’re right, I see the bullet path up higher between the ear and eye. [emoji106]

I saw a deer that had been wounded in the jaw once. Never gotten rid of that image in my head.

Yea, that's a bad deal, but so is one that has it guts hanging out steppin' on them as they walk... A bad shot is a bad shot no matter where it is. I never recommend anyone take a shot at anything that is not one they have confidence in. Personally, I don't body shoot any deer or hogs when I'm meat hunting... Last year was my first year since 1995 to shoot a deer with a gun... been strictly bow for that period up until last year, but the 4 deer I shot last year were neck and head shots between 20 and 250 yards.

Comment

I will not tell a grown man where to shoot a deer. However, I will tell you that I have seen a deer with no Jaw after a father told his soon to shoot it just below the head. That kid does not hunt anymore. It took us a long time to find that deer and put it down.

Comment

That's when I quit head shots...went to pick up a hunting buddy & all I found was a hand full of teeth & jaw bones. He's a good shot / hunter too but that head can move fast while you are squeezing down. I never want to see that again either. Hideous death.

Comment

I got into neck shots about 5 years ago. I hunt very small property and shooting neck means I don't have to do any tracking at all, which is something I prefer not to do during rifle season. My maximum shot length is 62 yards with a .223 single shot break over NEF. One shot, one kill. I won't take it unless I am confident that it will be a clean shot. I've passed on many, many deer because they just wouldn't calm down or be still enough for me to pull on their neck. With that said, I've never suggested that anyone should take a neck shot. The pros are their just as much as the cons. You have to do what you feel is best for you in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by ATI View Post
                            I think you're over-analyzing it. If you have a "hunting rifle" and you hit the neck you'll be good.

Don't graze or hit the edges, hit the center where you know there are a lot of blood vessels and bone.

Here you go, these are my "Go To" spots:

https://www.gma.vic.gov.au/education...aking-the-shot
                            I shot a spike buck when I was around 13 years old and I hit him square in the white patch of his neck head on. The buck rolled over twice and got up and took off. It looked like a murder scene at the point of impact. When we tracked him about 2 hours later, I was going to put the finishing shot on him but a noise scared him off and he ran like he had never been shot.

Its not if you have a rifle, its if you have enough rifle to plow through the hide/muscle/bone and on that day, I didn't. The only thing I can think is that my little .222 was deflected by something and it veered off causing me to miss any vital blood vessels or bone. I know I pierced his trachea because thats how we found him, we heard him breathing. I firmly believe if I had shot him with anything bigger, he'd of been in the ice chest.

Comment

A little high

Last edited by SC-Texas; 10-19-2019, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SC-Texas View Post
                                A little high

Thanks. What I was looking for.

Comment

Working...
                                X