favorite catfish reel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by glen View Post
    PVC with pool noodle on one end and some nylon string has caught my biggest ones. And works about every time
    Honestly that’s the only way I can catch them. I’ve hardly ever caught them on rod and reel. We are going to try and break the ice for my nephew on catfish then move him to the salt...

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
      I catch catfish with the same equipment I catch trout and redfish on. I might use a little heavier rod, but for the most part I use the same reels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I would normally agree with you, I’m looking for a few setups to handle 30+ lbs fish.

Comment

Abu 6500 will do the same job as a 7000 but weights less and a little cheaper

Comment

I've caught them to 23 lbs on a 5500. Imo anything over 6500 is over kill. We always used 7000s for kings under shrimp boats

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

The combos I use for set ups and drifting for cats/stripers are pretty basic. I use the blue abu 5600's with clickers (usually 20lb line) and have had great luck with the cheap BPS flipping sticks in a heavy action. The rods collapse down into the handle and are easier to transport and are soft enough on the top end to use circle hooks. They extend to 7' or 7'6 or so. If in cover I up size my line. I also like to have a medium heavy spinning rod handy with a slip bobber rig on it for schooling channels and stuff like that.
            Last edited by SL1; 08-01-2021, 07:26 AM.

Comment

Anything you have laying around

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Abu 6500, 7000 or 7500. All have a clicker and are top notch reels.

Comment

I have a couple of these KastKing reels. Very well made, smooth and will cast a mile with 25lb mono. https://www.amazon.com/KastKing-Rove...64497522&psc=1

Comment

100 lbs test wrapped around a Calcutta cane pole

Comment

You can’t go wrong with a old Abu. Although about 6months ago I switched over to Lew’s LXLC60 reels. They can be bought on Amazon for under $70 and are very smooth and have done a excellent job bringing in some very big cats!
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Shaun View Post
                        You can’t go wrong with a old Abu. Although about 6months ago I switched over to Lew’s LXLC60 reels. They can be bought on Amazon for under $70 and are very smooth and have done a excellent job bringing in some very big cats!
                        That Ande is sho nuff some good stuff

Comment

ABU 6000 series reels with 25lb. big game for big catfish 10-50lbs. Anything goes for small ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaun View Post
                            I was looking at the lews glad you like them, that might just make me pull the trigger.

Comment

Surprised no one has said this yet. Zebco!!

Comment

Post 9 & 10, love those 888’s ����

Comment

Working...
                                X