X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck to y’all man. Hope to read some good reports

Comment

Originally posted by Cutthroat View Post
      I should have checked first. I got an email with the same information you just posted. If your email had addresses for people with the last name 'Dunn' then the 7-8 people are spread over all 4 dates listed on the page. That would be nice to only have 2 groups per hunt.
      No Dunn on the email list unfortunately. If you see a "screamingpotato" address on the list that's me lol. I talked to one of the other hunt parties tonight, super cool guy and he lives 20 minutes away. He's been out here scouting all week and seen some good stuff, got a popup in there somewhere but we didn't see a popup so hopefully there's some distance between us. We did run across a trail cam but it was right on the road, wonder if that's hunters or border patrol.

Originally posted by Zjesse22 View Post
      Was this passing the checkpoint? Saw it there on Sunday evening heading north looked like a cow
      I wanna say we were pretty far past the checkpoint but I don't fully remember. It was a big one and pretty dark.

Comment

Good luck!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed323 View Post
          I’m from here, still live here, and can say yes, 1000% lol
          Born and raised in the Valley. Moved away in 2013.

Comment

Good luck to you and your son, sounds like y’all are adapting well! Does the hunt start today or tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by JackRyan View Post
              Good luck to you and your son, sounds like y’all are adapting well! Does the hunt start today or tomorrow?
              Starts tomorrow morning, we're heading back in this afternoon after work/school to get a tripod setup and brushed in and maybe scout a little in a different direction but not too much. There's almost too many options to setup so I'm gonna start with easier and closer and branch out further if necessary.

Comment

Got the kiddo setup in his tripod and I'm off scouting. Almost got killed by a javelina, not because it's mean but **** near had a heart attack. I need a bear bell or something he was asleep in the grass and I could've stepped on him. I think I heard him dying in the brush from his own heart attack.

Lots more dung piles, they're everywhere. Haven't seen a Nilgai yet, probably ran them all oit yesterday.

One of the Federal wardens met me at the parking area, said if we need anything at all let him know and gave me his card. Class act for sure.

Talked to another hunter that said he drive by the regular parking lots on the way here and there were hunters getting ready to walk in. That's a no-no, hunters have to use the North boundary for entry.
                Attached Files

Comment

Too bad this is dry.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Good luck! Looks promising.

Comment

Most of the "thick" brush here looks like this. It would be pretty difficult to stalk anything in the thick stuff because they can see through it for so far.

Watched a nice 9 point thrashing a tree, well outside the ears. He wondered off obvious that I was 75 yards away.
                      Attached Files

Comment

One juvenile Nilgai spotted 800 yards out moving slowly all alone. It got cold last night, wonder if they all moved early today or if we spooked them out yesterday or other scouters went through here before I got here.

Hogs are squealing up a storm behind me.

Kiddo just text me and two mature cows walked the trail we setup the tripod on at 165 yards from him. Yes!
                        Last edited by justletmein; 12-03-2020, 05:30 PM.

Comment

I’m not experienced but they seem to just move and graze all day long. The few I’ve been around shot have been late morning and early afternoon

Comment

Another text from kiddo, two more same trail 165 yards. We rollin!

Originally posted by glen View Post
                            I’m not experienced but they seem to just move and graze all day long. The few I’ve been around shot have been late morning and early afternoon
                            Hmmm good to know. I bet we ran them out walking carelessly yesterday. We'll get here early tomorrow just to be sure we're first to the spot.

Comment

Originally posted by SneakyPhil View Post
                              Sounds like the Valley compadre system in full effect.
                              Yep, that is par for the course down that direction.

The worse TPWD hunt I ever went on was down there. All the hunt manager’s buddies just magically drew standby and then were given the best places to hunt.

Literally no hunter who drew under the proper system saw an animal, while the “standby’s” cleaned up.
                              Last edited by Greenheadless; 12-03-2020, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Not a bad sunset.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X