No announcement yet.

LRGV La Sal Del Rey Youth Hunt thread semi-live 20201204

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

30 mins out from the campsite there's a large fresh dead Nilgai on the side of the road. Now we're getting excited!

Comment

Well we may have a good time afterall.
      Attached Files

Comment

Oh boy did we find a highway good lord! 3 trails converge and looks like i10 with poop speed bumps.
        They have some easy walking places out here too, easy cart rolling if needed.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
          30 mins out from the campsite there's a large fresh dead Nilgai on the side of the road. Now we're getting excited!
          Was this passing the checkpoint? Saw it there on Sunday evening heading north looked like a cow

Comment

Good Luck to your son . I’ll be following

Comment

Well 1st day scouting in the books and boy was it a time. We saw 30+ Nilgai, two big bulls the big one being full contrast dark with white throat patch, man those things are impressive. We managed to get to the two spots I wanted to look at even with the short time, OnX clocked 2.5 miles to the furthest one. Interestingly enough the further back we went the less Nilgai and sign we came across. We stayed back til dark and walked out to find the game warden and two Sherriff vehicles waiting for us. Turns out the land owner with the blind in the middle of the field on the other side of the highway doesn't like trucks parked there because he puts paid hunter in the blind to shoot Nilgai that walk up that road and cross the highway. Had it out with Officer Cantu pretty well for about an hour. He actually said I'm from out of town and he has to take care of his locals in the area, no joke he actually said it. Then he told me to get the **** out of here in front of my 16 year old son. That was about a half hour in so I decided to get the roast going some more, it was a good time. I did get nervous at some point later when I noticed he turned his body cam off. Sherriff's were chill and just hanging out. By the way, I was literally parked on the GPS coordinates sent to us by USFWS and have emails from USFWS going back and forth stating we can park anywhere on the side of Chapa road. Officer Cantu refused to give me a business card, can't imagine why.
              Here's some pics, 1st is the dude's blind across the highway, 2nd is what most of all the front end of the unit looks like, and 3rd is the poop piles that are quite honestly everywhere.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by justletmein; 12-02-2020, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Following along! Been waiting to be drawn for the RGV Refuges for years!

Comment

So I just got off the phone with Officer Cantu, he apologized profusely so we're all good now no harm no foul. Edit: I have no idea how he got my number, but I did talk to a USFWS warden about it after it happened because I need to know the law so I guess she called him.
                  Last edited by justletmein; 12-02-2020, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Well 1st day scouting in the books and boy was it a time. We saw 30+ Nilgai, two big bulls the big one being full contrast dark with white throat patch, man those things are impressive. We managed to get to the two spots I wanted to look at even with the short time, OnX clocked 2.5 miles to the furthest one. Interestingly enough the further back we went the less Nilgai and sign we came across. We stayed back til dark and walked out to find the game warden and two Sherriff vehicles waiting for us. Turns out the land owner with the blind in the middle of the field on the other side of the highway doesn't like trucks parked there because he puts paid hunter in the blind to shoot Nilgai that walk up that road and cross the highway. Had it out with Officer Cantu pretty well for about an hour. He actually said I'm from out of town and he has to take care of his locals in the area, no joke he actually said it. Then he told me to get the **** out of here in front of my 16 year old son. That was about a half hour in so I decided to get the roast going some more, it was a good time. I did get nervous at some point later when I noticed he turned his body cam off. Sherriff's were chill and just hanging out. By the way, I was literally parked on the GPS coordinates sent to us by USFWS and have emails from USFWS going back and forth stating we can park anywhere on the side of Chapa road. Officer Cantu refused to give me a business card, can't imagine why.
                    Here's some pics, 1st is the dude's blind across the highway, 2nd is what most of all the front end of the unit looks like, and 3rd is the poop piles that are quite honestly everywhere.

Sounds like the Valley compadre system in full effect.

Comment

Originally posted by SneakyPhil View Post
                      Lived down there for 5 years and ^^^^ 1000%

Comment

So I just got off the phone with Officer Cantu, he apologized profusely so we're all good now no harm no foul. Edit: I have no idea how he got my number, but I did talk to a USFWS warden about it after it happened because I need to know the law so I guess she called him.
                        Glad you spoke to the warden. Hopefully, he pulled Federal rank and told Cantu to stand down either directly to him or his superior. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by SneakyPhil View Post
                          I’m from here, still live here, and can say yes, 1000% lol

Comment

We hunt very close to La Sal Del Ray tons of Nilgai in that area. Good Luck.

Comment

I have a lease I hunt (not this year) on, off chapa road there is lots of nilgai and deer but that is true the landowners are very **** and think because they are there they own the road as well majority of the land there belongs to the Garza family, but it’s a public road and you can do as you please if you pay close attention on chapa rd/ Ted Garza road there is a big open field with blinds on it and that’s what they do wait for the nilgai to cross the street from the refuge and they shoot

Comment

Kinda worried about the truck getting broken into/vandalized now.

Comment

Working...
                                X