Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
    1st timer here as well for Dec 4-8.

Who wants to split hotel room? Up to 3 people total per room. Everyone has own bed.

Headed down this weekend to scout.

Justin
    I'd be down. It'd be good to know someone going into this ordeal.

I'm originally from TN as well!

Comment

I'll be down there for the January rifle hunt as well. Gonna be a good year.

Comment

Originally posted by Boom Scat View Post
        I'd be down. It'd be good to know someone going into this ordeal.

I'm originally from TN as well!
        Sent you a PM

Comment

Anybody who has hunted there in the past what was your method of coverage I will be rifle hunting in January and not sure to s&s, tripod or pop up blind or just sit with a folding chair and have versatility to move to different spots if desired, I will be using a bike to get around with a cart. Thinking of going out this weekend to scout and maybe meet some members on here. Now as I drawn for general deer I also have the option to hunt exotic and hogs I know the area has nilgai but what about hogs? Don’t know which caliber to use I’m between .243, 270, 30-06, 6.5x55 or 7 mag as well as 30-30 for nilgai what range will my shots be close to? I’ve shot them in the past from my blind around 100yds or so but not sure if I will be given an opportunity for further shots

Comment

Well, I haven’t been too productive at work today, but I did make a lot of purchases, lol.

I’ve got the Sherpa cart and bike mount on the way.

Millennium T-100 on the way.

I’m also booked at the Los Fresnos Inn 11/19-11/24. If anyone is staying in the area during that hunt weekend, I’d love to meet some fellow TBH’rs and share a beer and a meal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ok. I was feeling down because I didn’t get chosen for the archery hunt. Got my email today and I’m doing the rifle hunt!! Time to dust off the bike and cart and get in shape..

Comment

Originally posted by Zjesse22 View Post
                Anybody who has hunted there in the past what was your method of coverage I will be rifle hunting in January and not sure to s&s, tripod or pop up blind or just sit with a folding chair and have versatility to move to different spots if desired, I will be using a bike to get around with a cart. Thinking of going out this weekend to scout and maybe meet some members on here. Now as I drawn for general deer I also have the option to hunt exotic and hogs I know the area has nilgai but what about hogs? Don’t know which caliber to use I’m between .243, 270, 30-06, 6.5x55 or 7 mag as well as 30-30 for nilgai what range will my shots be close to? I’ve shot them in the past from my blind around 100yds or so but not sure if I will be given an opportunity for further shots
                Saw plenty of hogs when I was there last year. Could probably have shot a couple but they were not the target and looked a bit large.

Comment

My wife and I went last year and were successful enough to shoot two cows and seen a few hogs and deer but no bucks. I can’t remember the unit we hunted but it was off 106. We walked in about 2.75 miles and found a good spot to sit for the morning. We sat for about 20 minutes after I decided to get up and look around some trees and saw a lonely cow nilgai feeding. I ranged her and got set up and took the shot and connected at 283 yards. She ran 15 yards and folded up. Then the real work began from there. We finally finished up with her when we sat down to take a break and I look up across the open and see three more nilgai cows headed our way. I looked over at my wife and said “ok it’s your turn”. Well she knew she wouldn’t be able to make a long shot so she said for me to take the shot. I quickly ranged some brush I knew they’d walk by and got dialed in. First big cow came by that brush and I whistled to stop her when she did I squeezed off and connected again at 583 yards this time she took 3 steps and crumbled. I could’ve easily taken the other two but I knew we had our hands full already with the two cows we had on the ground. Definitely a really fun and exciting hunt for sure. Good luck to those of you that have been chosen this year hope to see some good pics.

Comment

Congrats on the cows. Don't know I could see that far. Good shooting.

Comment

Thank you sir! It wasn’t too bad they were coming across a completely open bare field so it was kinda easy to spot them.

Comment

Wife and I got drawn for the 1st rifle hunt Dec 11-13th. My dad and I used to bowhunt the refuge when we lived down there 15 years ago ( back then it was first come first serve 500 permits if memory serves me right ). We have putting in for the draw with a rifle ever since. We are pretty pumped. Good luck and stay safe to everyone that drew!

Comment

It's been raining all day down here (Port Isabel). At least a few inches. Good luck with scouting.

Comment

We made it. Staying in South Padre. Gonna get wet this weekend.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Whalerboy67 View Post
                              I’ve been looking forward to this season’s Laguna hunt since last one ended. Sucks I didn’t get picked this time. Will just have to live it by reading FyGuyy’s stories.

HaHa! I’m happy to oblige!

Been out elk hunting since the 9th and Just got back to civilization and getting caught up on this thread in a hotel. (That elk hunt may make for an even better story, if I can find the time I may type it up...).

Comment

Well I got drawn for a rifle hunt in January as well. Gonna be down there twice this year. Will be staying at Port Isla Inn again.

Comment

Working...
                                X