Balcones 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have Unit 8 drawn for early December.

I scouted out there yesterday around noon as the front was moving in around my parking spot, then also drove the loop.

4x4 is a must, several spots after my assigned location (F) where I thought to myself, this will be tough if its raining/muddy.

Thick with cedar and some live oaks. Acorns are on the ground under the oaks though, so that's encouraging. I didn't spook any deer bedded down and only saw a couple of game trails and hoof prints, but they looked like hogs.

If your parking spot is in the middle of the thick stuff with no clearings around, it's going to be a tough hunt bc you'll need to walk/hike quite a ways to find decent shooting lanes. It's very rocky and the brush is a little shorter than knee high. If you aren't watching where you are walking, you are going to step on a rock at a funny angle and roll your ankle.

No running water that I could see, but visible arroyos and creek beds that will have water when it rains.

Really neat country, but I can see this being extremely difficult to hunt. I was only out there for a couple hours before the front blew through and figured I should walk back to the truck.

Comment

Thanks for the updates. Hopefully we have some good weather, and everyone can easily access their areas.
      If anyone else is staying in turkey bend let me know. I looked at all the spots, think I am gonna go with campsite 17 or 18, look a little closer to the restrooms and showers.

Comment

My son and I will be hunting in unit 1 this weekend. I wasn't able to make it out and scout but have a few areas pinned that look promising. Hopefully will have a good report.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Who all is heading up today for the youth hunt noon orientation?

Comment

I'm about 30min out.

Comment

Originally posted by erikbeagle View Post
              Hey gents, I got unit 7 spot H for the 6-8 Dec hunt. Looks like the biggest tract and they assign 10 hunters to that tract. Hoping for safety and success for all! Look forward to seeing y'all there!
              I'll be solo there the December 13-15 I just happen to get 7H as well. Any and all advice is appreciated.

Comment

Man, I thought this was a Balcones Bourbon post!

Comment

We are back in Unit 12 this morning. My son shot a pretty good size pig and the other hunter in our unit killed 2 does yesterday evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Rounder View Post
                    We are back in Unit 12 this morning. My son shot a pretty good size pig and the other hunter in our unit killed 2 does yesterday evening.

That’s awesome!

Comment

Pretty good size is an understatement. Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by Rounder View Post

Good news Rounder, Glad the kiddo hooked up. I'll be there early Dec. Unit 3.

Comment

Nice hog. Glad some people were able to harvest a few animals. Hoping to see a few more post on how everyone weekend went.

Comment

We saw 1 nice buck, a few does,and a few yotes in the far back of unit 1. Lots of sign but due to the thick cedar back in the rocky canyon area we were hunting it's hard to see very far except on a road. Had a great time with my son though.

Comment

My stepson Maverick hunted in Unit 4 this past weekend. The front half of the Unit is all burned out and really open. They did plant rye grass in places or maybe the whole thing idk? Another family hunted that part and saw some does and a 10pt, but no luck getting him. We hunted in the back half and most of that was so thick you could have bow hunted it. We went to the very back part where my 9 year old would have a chance to get on an animal before they disappeared. The first evening we saw a couple does too far away for a shot.

The next morning, we saw 6 or an 8pt but it came out on my side and he couldn't get repositioned in time. So after 9, we got out started walking around scouting for a new area. We didn't get 75 yards away from the stand and saw a buck with his nose to the ground. There was thin brush that had been burned everywhere and we needed to move if he was going to get a shot. We crouched down and went about 15 yards and the deer saw us. I supported the gun and whistled at the buck when he got in our lane. The buck stopped and right as he shot, the buck took a step and he hit him a little far back. The buck ran about 100 yards and tried jumping the fence to the neighbors place. He eventually did and we backed out.

I called the Game Warden and he showed up right away. I showed him where he jumped the fence, blood and hair all over the wires. He looked at it and said yeah he jumped here but I don't know those new neighbors so we can not go over there. I will let you know if I hear anything.

So that evening, we moved closer to the middle of the place where there was a small clearing. We set up about 2:30 and were going to stay till dark. One neighbor was playing music and another was cutting up a tree with a chainsaw. It was noise but the deer had to be used to it. There were acorns everywhere and lots of sign. About 4:00, was when it got interesting. The neighbor started off with a few shots from an AR. Before it was over he had ran through 7 full mags. Then he started in on tanerite or something? It was mini explosions. So I called it quits around 5 with the shooting still going on the whole time we were packing up. This was about 200 yards behind us. It was crazy.

The other gentleman in the front with his daughter had a similar experience. He had a guy shooting near him and riding up and down the fence with a 4- wheeler. He left Saturday evening too.

I wish I could have recovered the deer, it was his first deer-buck to ever shoot. I figured the game warden didn't need permission to hop a fence to look for a deer?

Comment

I hate to hear the neighboring property owners acting in that fashion. Hard to believe that adults cannot just act responsible.
                                I am glad you got to see a few animals, and spend time with the kiddo in the outdoors. Wish it would have turned out a little better for you. Did other areas also see game?

Comment

Working...
                                X