James Daughtrey Gun Deer Management

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

James Daughtrey Gun Deer Management

I got drawn for 12/8/ - 12/10. Anyone else in this forum get drawn? Thanks!

Yep!!
    Me, brother, his son, and son in law. Except we hunt 12/1 - 12/3.

Comment

Anybody know which compartments are the bigger ones? Being we have a full group, figure we might get one of those.

Comment

Pretty good place.

Comment

If you can get in a compartment with the San Miguel or the Frio on it, there are some monster deer there. Have seen several 160+ along the river while fishing.

Comment

Dec 15-17. Me and my BIL.

Comment

We got drawn for 12/8-12/10 also.

Comment

I got drawn for 12/1, but also got drawn for archery deer at Chap on 12/1. I'll be bow hunting. good luck guys. I've good things about Daughtry.

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
                  Anybody know which compartments are the bigger ones? Being we have a full group, figure we might get one of those.
                  Few years ago my son had unit 9 which was north side of lake. Easily had enough room for 3 or more setups. He shot nice mature buck. If wet weather will be long walk though if don't have good 4 wheel drive or atleast then would have been.

Comment

I hunted compartment 4 last year for this hunt and it's big. It had 4 stands already set up in it, but the better spots were back by the branch of the river that was dried up (north boundary of compartment.)

Comment

Did this hunt two years ago at the Choke Canyon South Shore State Park. It was run with the Daughtrey management hunt. Shot a doe. Saw a monster 10 that I couldn't shoot.

This makes it tough to get a buck:
                      Must have 7 or fewer antler points with an inside main beam spread of at least 12 inches.

Comment

Congrats. I hunted there in January. I believe compartment 4 is the best spot which is the one I hunted. However, the order of compartment selection is predetermined by the TPWD. TPWD picked me first so I got the first pick of the compartments. Didn't get anything but I did see one big 10. The full moon and 80 + degrees weather didn't help but it was still fun. I made a map in pdf format for the hunt. Bring a handsaw and lots of corn. PM if you have any other questions.

Comment

What did y’all do for lodging?
                          I want to camp, brother wants a motel room. But pending on compartment we get would depend where I would camp. And I want to set up camp before orientation, but then, we might get put on a pasture clear on the other side of the lake. Kinda hard to plan.

Comment

I stayed at a cabin in Calliham State Park in the lake.

Comment

Err, on the lake.

Comment

Working...
                              X