Atascosa 2019!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Txfire409 View Post
    Ebikes will do the same thing as they will allow hunters to go in further than they normally would. I am 50 years old and not in the best shape (I know that's my fault) but also have not so great knees from crawling thru burning buildings for more than twenty years. My ebike is more of a peddle assisted thing rather than just running off the battery. It definitely lets me get deeper into the woods than I would be able to hiking or with a regular bike.
    I hope the e-bike isn’t allowed. (Only allowed for those impaired and need it)It will definitely lessen the crowding But I don’t want others going further. I go to unit 3 and will continue. It’s a trek to back where I hunt and only a few seem to go that far. With an e-bike, Laguna becomes a tiny place. Regular bike, you know and feel the size of Laguna.

Comment

Originally posted by Romulan View Post
      I'm not a huge fan of ebikes either - other than the physically disabled - I don't see the benefit in buying one - if a person isn't able to bike than it's probably time to get on a bike and start losing weight. Anyway, do any of yall know when the 2nd drawing happens?

I was there last year and the impression I got from the staff is it's almost like the refuge doesn't like dealing with allowing hunters - I'm curious to know how much money is actually spent on keeping those 17 or so Ocelots going
      2nd drawing is tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Txfire409 View Post
        Ebikes will do the same thing as they will allow hunters to go in further than they normally would. I am 50 years old and not in the best shape (I know that's my fault) but also have not so great knees from crawling thru burning buildings for more than twenty years. My ebike is more of a peddle assisted thing rather than just running off the battery. It definitely lets me get deeper into the woods than I would be able to hiking or with a regular bike.
        I hear ya - my initial reaction when I hear Ebikes is to think of the cost (haha) and to jump the gun and think it's just the lazy that's created a market for it. You're right about the knees - I had a knee issue not too long ago and it kept me off of my bike and running.

Comment

While I'm not longer in the best shape weight wise, I still would use a regular bike. There will come a day when, if I want to continue, I will have to adopt some help. I'm already planning on llamas for hunting out west and adding days to the trips because I will be slower. I'm not excited about ebikes either, but ask me in five or six years when I'm near 70 and my attitude will change. Yes, that's inconsistent. I'll dislike them until I have to use them. Then they will be one of my favorite tools.

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
            While I'm not longer in the best shape weight wise, I still would use a regular bike. There will come a day when, if I want to continue, I will have to adopt some help. I'm already planning on llamas for hunting out west and adding days to the trips because I will be slower. I'm not excited about ebikes either, but ask me in five or six years when I'm near 70 and my attitude will change. Yes, that's inconsistent. I'll dislike them until I have to use them. Then they will be one of my favorite tools.
            lol, well I love mine. Another advantage to the ebike (obviously) is it's less strenuous. I'm all about scent control, especially while bow hunting. If it's warm weather and I ride a regular bike to the back parts of the refuge I will be sweating my butt off by the time I get to my spot. More sweat = more stink. The ebike is still work but not as much so I dont get as sweaty.

Comment

I'm fully drenched in sweat at minimum 4 times a day on those hunts, sometimes all day. Scent control is out of picture. Just gotta play the wind right.....ain't no hiding that stank!!! Or roll in a big pile of nilgai skat!

I step all in it when I find it nice and slimy.[emoji2957]

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
                I'm fully drenched in sweat at minimum 4 times a day on those hunts, sometimes all day. Scent control is out of picture. Just gotta play the wind right.....ain't no hiding that stank!!! Or roll in a big pile of nilgai skat!

I step all in it when I find it nice and slimy.[emoji2957]

That explains it, you did always smell like sheet when I ran into you. But good tactic, smell like the animal you’re hunting.

Comment

I just want to see people stepping in nilgai poo this time![emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Comment

I just want to see people stepping in nilgai poo this time![emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

that's awesome! lmao

Comment

Best tactic is to bury yourself in the pile and take a Texas heart shot when they are backed up to it. Works every time.

Comment

Got drawn for 10/25-10/29. Pumped for this one, it will be my first time out there.

Comment

Good luck out there.

We drew but passed on the October hunt. Between being busy at home and the required orientation, it was too much.

I really wish they'd figure another way for orientation, like an email, or cancel it all together.

Comment

I dont think ebikes will change the game so I am not opposed to them. Most of the ones that are marketed to hunters are way more than guys are willing to pay.

Comment

I also hope they dont do ebikes. LAGUNA is supposed to be a hard hunt. If you are one of the few willing to put in the effort to get to the untouched places of the refuge it should be to your advangtage. I ramp up my fitness quite a bit for a couple months before this type of hunt so that i can have an advantage over the out of shape guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomahawk54 View Post
                                I also hope they dont do ebikes. LAGUNA is supposed to be a hard hunt. If you are one of the few willing to put in the effort to get to the untouched places of the refuge it should be to your advangtage. I ramp up my fitness quite a bit for a couple months before this type of hunt so that i can have an advantage over the out of shape guys.
                                Agreed

Comment

Working...
                                X