No announcement yet.

Diabetics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone drink Coke Zero? It supposedly has no sugars. The only thing I see on the label that is not good is 440 gr sodium.

Comment

I was diagnosed last summer with Type 2 and a 7.2 A1c; had been borderline for several years with 6.4-6.5 A1c. Doc put me on Metformin. I cut carbs almost out, cut stuff with sugar, reduced alcohol intake, ate lots of fruit, nuts, and salads and cut my intake volume down. I lost 25 lbs in a few months, then hit a floor, so I need to start burning calories to take my weight down to the next level.

What are the problems you guys have had with Metformin?

Comment

Originally posted by BowPro73 View Post
        I tried the low carb, high fat diet along with metformin. I wanted to get off of metformin and I just followed the "Mastering Diabetes" guideline for the most part. I eat tons of fruit daily, brown rice and beans, sweet potatoes, and vegetables. I'll usually throw in the meat food twice a week. Breakfast is usually a bowl of steel cut oatmeal with chopped bananas and blueberries and ground cinnamon. I don't take metformin any more. On the low carb diet, my morning readings were usually 180's and up before even eating. Now it's usually 80's or 90's. You just have to dive into it and go at it this plan. Your blood sugar will go up at first, but you'll be amazed at the results once it cycles in. More energy for one, and much steadier low glucose readings. Here's the link.. and there's a video on the page along with reading info, recipes, and so on. I eat tons of fruit (carbs) daily.
        https://www.masteringdiabetes.org/re...-presentation/
        Pretty much what I do also. People freak out when I tell them I eat lots of carbs and now have normal readings. One of the many books I read: The Starch Solution.
        Last edited by AndyTX; 12-07-2019, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
          I was diagnosed last summer with Type 2 and a 7.2 A1c; had been borderline for several years with 6.4-6.5 A1c. Doc put me on Metformin. I cut carbs almost out, cut stuff with sugar, reduced alcohol intake, ate lots of fruit, nuts, and salads and cut my intake volume down. I lost 25 lbs in a few months, then hit a floor, so I need to start burning calories to take my weight down to the next level.

Check into intermittent fasting by Dr. Daniel ????

Comment

Originally posted by awry View Post
            If one can do it, can fasting bring down the numbers relatively quickly?
            Yes it can. But be careful if you are on diabetic medication. You will most likely have to reduce your meds or it can bring them down too low which is dangerous.

Comment

I'm a Type 1. Have to take insulin. Insulin shots are my pancreas. Producing little to no insulin vs insulin resistance is a bit different. I just try to stay away from carbs and when I do have carbs I count the servings and dose insulin accordingly. It was a huge PITA at first now its just a way of life. Diet and exercise should fix your problems and keep you off medications. Everyone is different but I can tell you my sugars are best when I do a big breakfast no lunch and a small and early (by 6p) dinner. This keeps my sugar in a very normal range for a large portion of the day.

Bottom line - no bread, no pasta, not soda, no beer, no potato, no candy no nothing good. lots of proteins and and lots of green veggies (white/yellow = sugar)

Comment

My son has been Type 1 for the last three years. Go to the classes and listen to your doctor. We have learned to read every label on everything we buy. After a while you remember how many carbs are in each item. Buy a set of measuring cups from Walmart and measure everything. A good App is Calorie King. Many snack bars and snack size items are 18 to 20 carbs which works well for a 15 year old in between meals.

Comment

Cut the carbs sir, it is very important to healthy life as a diabetic.

Comment

Originally posted by tex4k View Post
                    Check into intermittent fasting by Dr. Daniel ????
                    Done that. Lost a few. Will try again.

Comment

The whole point of fasting is to correct the root cause of the disease (insulin resistance stemming from too much glucose). Some glucose is critical, too much is toxic to the body, too little is fatal. Your red blood cells for example cannot create energy from any other substrate as they lack mitochondria, hence they must use glycolysis to create ATP. The remaining cells of your body are much more flexible. The brain and heart preferentially oxidize beta hydroxybutyrate (the main ketone body we produce in fasted state metabolism) over glucose. Free fatty acids and amino acids are also used. Your body will actually produce all the glucose it needs independent of carb intake. Certain amino acids (building blocks for protein) are glucogenic as is glycerol, the backbone of triglycerides (fats). But your body will only make as much as it needs to maintain homeostasis, as converting these substrates to glucose is metabolically costly, meaning you’ll essentially burn more calories eating a high fat, moderate protein diet than you would eating a standard (garbage) American diet.

Type II diabetes is totally reversible with proper diet and lifestyle modification. After all, it’s largely a lifestyle/dietary disease. We’ve been told for decades that saturated fat was bad for us and that grains, particularly whole grains were good for health. Total BS. We’re collectively fatter and sicker than ever. This isn’t rocket science. If there’s too much glucose in your body, stop eating it (all carbs minus dietary fiber will ultimately be converted to glucose). Don’t take advice from anyone that has been a type II diabetic for years and hasn’t rid themselves of the disease.
                      Last edited by TwoHighways; 12-08-2019, 03:58 AM.

Comment

Metformin is bad on the bowels, diarrhea!
                        I lost 27 lbs in 5 months and cut sugar as much as possible. I need to add more cardio. Last A1c was 5.7 Glucose 120. Alcohol and Metforin equals diarrhea.
                        Lots of salad and vegetables. Chicken and fish are great but I do still eat red meat.
                        Lifestyle change for sure but it is manageable.

Comment

Metformin is bad on the bowels, diarrhea!
                          I lost 27 lbs in 5 months and cut sugar as much as possible. I need to add more cardio. Last A1c was 5.7 Glucose 120. Alcohol and Metforin equals diarrhea.
                          Lots of salad and vegetables. Chicken and fish is great but I do eat red meat.
                          Lifestyle change for sure but it is manageable.

Comment

My A1C was 11.3. I wasn’t put on medication but I had to completely change my diet. No sugars, breads, chips, vegetables that grow underground and even most artificial sugar. 6 months of that dropped my numbers to 6.1. My diet before was only sweet tea, any kind of bread, potatoes every day and lots of desserts. It was a change for sure but it worked for me.

Comment

As has been mentioned, fasting helps. You said you're 190 at 5'10"? Depending on your muscularity, that contributes to the problem as well. Fat is not your friend when it comes to insulin resistance/sensitivity. You want to become insulin sensitive so that your cells properly handle glucose.
                              I posted in TBh this year earlier when I had what seemed like heart attack symptoms. I'm 27, was running 30 miles a week easy, and ate well (6' 150ish lbs). Heart was perfect though. It turned out to be anxiety but also found I was prediabetic somehow. So I started learning about insulin resistance and sensitivity. I stopped doing late night runs for long distance and started doing sprints. I started lifting hard, even followed some lactic acid training stuff from poliquin. I was still kind of chubby in my stomach when I was 150ish (genetics and crap diet when I was growing up, I'm recovering from the first 14 years of life where my parents just didnt know nutrition), but since I started lifting intensely and sprinting, im a similar build body fat wise but far more muscular at 175ish, can still run 10+ miles, and my blood sugar is far more stable. Last time I went I had eaten 4 hours before hand and I still only ran about 60ish~. Previously when I was found to be prediabetic it was after 16 hours of fasting and was 103.5.

The other big thing was sleep! I had a habit of only sleeping like 4-6 hours and cramming everything I can ok into my day. Sleep is the most anabolic natural process you can give yourself. The late night runs and coffee I was drinking were spiking my cortisol when my body was trying to produce insulin, etc. Sleep is extremely important
                              Last edited by Hooverfb; 12-08-2019, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooverfb View Post
                                As has been mentioned, fasting helps. You said you're 190 at 5'10"? Depending on your muscularity, that contributes to the problem as well. Fat is not your friend when it comes to insulin resistance/sensitivity. You want to become insulin sensitive so that your cells properly handle glucose.
                                I posted in TBh this year earlier when I had what seemed like heart attack symptoms. I'm 27, was running 30 miles a week easy, and ate well (6' 150ish lbs). Heart was perfect though. It turned out to be anxiety but also found I was prediabetic somehow. So I started learning about insulin resistance and sensitivity. I stopped doing late night runs for long distance and started doing sprints. I started lifting hard, even followed some lactic acid training stuff from poliquin. I was still kind of chubby in my stomach when I was 150ish (genetics and crap diet when I was growing up, I'm recovering from the first 14 years of life where my parents just didnt know nutrition), but since I started lifting intensely and sprinting, im a similar build body fat wise but far more muscular at 175ish, can still run 10+ miles, and my blood sugar is far more stable. Last time I went I had eaten 4 hours before hand and I still only ran about 60ish~. Previously when I was found to be prediabetic it was after 16 hours of fasting and was 103.5.

The other big thing was sleep! I had a habit of only sleeping like 4-6 hours and cramming everything I can ok into my day. Sleep is the most anabolic natural process you can give yourself. The late night runs and coffee I was drinking were spiking my cortisol when my body was trying to produce insulin, etc. Sleep is extremely important

"60is"? I've been type one for 36 years and when I hit 60 I'm close to stumbling around. I think you mean 80ish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X