No announcement yet.

Yet another caliber question - first rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or a 7-08. I know, not on the list. Good luck with your search!

Comment

Guys - all of you are terrific. Thank you for all the advice and guidance. I should have been a little more clear. The gun platform I'm looking at only has the calibers listed available. It's a 28" barrel, bolt action, but I don't know the twist. Maybe that helps.

If I was going to take 'bigger game' such as elk and bear off the list but go all the way down to a varmint gun - shooting yotes and bobcats - what would you suggest of what's listed? Maybe the 6.5 (though I hate to say it)?

Comment

Originally posted by LiftAndShoot View Post
        Guys - all of you are terrific. Thank you for all the advice and guidance. I should have been a little more clear. The gun platform I'm looking at only has the calibers listed available. It's a 28" barrel, bolt action, but I don't know the twist. Maybe that helps.

If I was going to take 'bigger game' such as elk and bear off the list but go all the way down to a varmint gun - shooting yotes and bobcats - what would you suggest of what's listed? Maybe the 6.5 (though I hate to say it)?
        Depends if you're wanting to save fur or not but a ,.223 is my go to for varmint huntin as well as a 22-250. The 250 is a little rougher on fur at times but if that's not a concern then I'd go with a 22-250.

Comment

28" is really long & not needed for the 6.5...I would take a look at some other options or even consider a custom build if the budget fits.

The good ole vssf remington in a 22-250 or swift is pretty tough to beat if you want a heavy varmint rig.

Comment

22-250 all the way. You have everything else covered to perfection.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
              6.5 PRC is a good in between for what you have, or a fast 22 varmint gun.
              This would be my choice also.

Comment

Dang.. what guns come with a 28” barrel? That’s longggg

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                  28" is really long & not needed for the 6.5...I would take a look at some other options or even consider a custom build if the budget fits.

The good ole vssf remington in a 22-250 or swift is pretty tough to beat if you want a heavy varmint rig.
                  X2. What gun are you looking at? That will help identify your budget and open up a lot of options.

Comment

Originally posted by kkp005 View Post
                    Dang.. what guns come with a 28” barrel? That’s longggg
                    I misspoke. One caliber configuration of the gun I'm looking at comes with 28, but not the 6.5. My fault.

Originally posted by freerhunter16 View Post
                    X2. What gun are you looking at? That will help identify your budget and open up a lot of options.
                    Call me a fanboy, but I'm looking at the weatherby vanguard meateater edition. Link here: MeatEater Edition

Comment

Well you have time to make up your mind as most of those seem to be 30 days out and thanks for make me look again, just wonder if the 6.5-300, i.e. .264 Win Mag Plus, is a barrel burner

Comment

of what you listed the 308 would get the nod ,,,, but anything with a 28" barrel is going to be left behind more often than not,,,, but i would add the 7mm08 and if the rifle i was thinking about didn't come in that caliber... i would be thinking about a different rifle all together.....

Comment

I know is not on your list but look at the 7mm-08. Out of the selection you already have, the 7mm-08 would be the one to add to the collection.

Comment

I like the 300 Weatherby, it's a nice caliber. But with 24" and 26" barrels, it's not much more than a 300 Winchester Mag. The Weatherby uses noticeably more powder, but can't burn all that extra powder with a 24" or 26" barrel. I have one, that I plan on putting a 28" barrel on. Same would go for the 6.5-300 Weatherby.

If you want a caliber you can buy an factory rifle and it work good, I would probably look at the 7mm Rem. Mag. with a 26" barrel, likely some 5R rifling, such as a older Remington 700. If you are doing a custom rifle, a 28" barrel 300 Weatherby would be nice, with some 4R or 5R rifling.

A 308, is a nice round, but never been crazy about all of the bullet drop, of a typical 308 round, yea, you can get scopes with bullet drop compensator turrets, but the bullet drop is still there. But out to only 300 yards, the bullet drop of a 308, is not really a big deal. Also, now that I am thinking about it, if you are only shooting out to 300 yards, you are just getting started in a 300 Weatherby Mag's range. Really the same goes for the 7mm Rem. Mag., yea you can use a 7mm Rem. Mag. at closer ranges than 300 yards, but a 7mm Rem. Mag. with some good ammo will do some serious damage inside of 300 yards. Just like a 6.5-300 Weatherby Mag. and a 300 Weatherby Mag.

The 6.5 Creedmoor, is not a bad little round, that would have very little bullet drop out to 300 yards. I would say the 6.5 Creedmoor or the 308 Win. would be your better choices for the ranges listed. The 7mm-08, would also be a good choice.

Comment

25-06

Comment

Over thinking it.

Model 70. blued, walnut stock with jeweled bolt in 270

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X