A year in the life of a farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GLM View Post
    How do we find your videos on You Tube? I can’t find them under Elgato. Thanks!
    Well.....that is a great question. I am creating a few videos as we speak but waiting on our millennial to show me how to create a channel and maximize viewing. Might take another week or so but thanks for your interest.

Comment

Originally posted by HappyM View Post
      Elgato, so I appreciate this thread and it has really made me rethink a number of “practices” we have used for quite a while. I have not sold my disc ... yet, but I am starting on my notill journey this spring. We have a number of resource limitations but I believe the 2 most deficient are organic matter in the soil and infiltration rates. Would you have any suggestions for a starter blend that has worked for you ?
      Thank you,

An easy 'starter ' summer blend might be cow peas, soy beans, sunflower...and maybe grain sorghum. For fun you go to a site called " Green Cover Seed"
      They have a mix calculator thats neat to play with .

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
        Thank you,

An easy 'starter ' summer blend might be cow peas, soy beans, sunflower...and maybe grain sorghum. For fun you go to a site called " Green Cover Seed"
        They have a mix calculator thats neat to play with .

Good luck
        Elgato, have you ever looked into the "three sisters" approach for a summer blend? I've been reading a bit about this old time agriculture approach of complementary crop planting.

Comment

Well.....that is a great question. I am creating a few videos as we speak but waiting on our millennial to show me how to create a channel and maximize viewing. Might take another week or so but thanks for your interest.

Mr. Baker, I watch a lot of u tube, a great learning tool (and entertainment)for a GOF like me. Please post when your videos are available. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I can’t wait for videos

Comment

First shed of the year 87 4/8" with 24 6/8" mass A 5 yr old I think
              That mass is insane. Really like that palmation in the G2 as well. Incredible shed for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by camoclad View Post
                Elgato, have you ever looked into the "three sisters" approach for a summer blend? I've been reading a bit about this old time agriculture approach of complementary crop planting.
                Yes, we planted about 10 acres of that [ squash beans corn ] on a property I'm involved with up in north La. Did great. The deer busted open the squash eating the inside . I suspect coons, coyotes and hogs helped. But what was interesting to me was the doves poured in for the squash seed that was left. Made for good opening season dove hunting. Didn't see that coming.

Comment

My 23 yr old son comes to town in town from LSU in about 10 days and we are going to set up a you tube channel. I have questions?????Should I have one channel and post video from both the farm and the ranch? If so what is a good name that would fit the project? Life on a recreational farm?? Life on a wildlife farm? Or any other ideas that connect the title to the content?

Or should there be 2 channels??? A year in the life of a farm? { I wonder if this has enough connectivity meaning to make sense to a larger audience'? The bucks of El Gato? Though this one seems narrow to me.

Any thoughts, ideas or help for both title and anything else from those more experienced with youtube and related types media appreciated.

My intention is to show video of all the activities and lifestyle we do on the farm as seen on this site as well as including video taken from the ranch as well. Ranch stuff is mostly hunting/bucks though I can expand that as the new year unfolds.

Thanks in advance for any input

Comment

My 23 yr old son comes to town in town from LSU in about 10 days and we are going to set up a you tube channel. I have questions?????Should I have one channel and post video from both the farm and the ranch? If so what is a good name that would fit the project? Life on a recreational farm?? Life on a wildlife farm? Or any other ideas that connect the title to the content?

Or should there be 2 channels??? A year in the life of a farm? { I wonder if this has enough connectivity meaning to make sense to a larger audience'? The bucks of El Gato? Though this one seems narrow to me.

Any thoughts, ideas or help for both title and anything else from those more experienced with youtube and related types media appreciated.

My intention is to show video of all the activities and lifestyle we do on the farm as seen on this site as well as including video taken from the ranch as well. Ranch stuff is mostly hunting/bucks though I can expand that as the new year unfolds.

Thanks in advance for any input

This is going to be good!!

Comment

I’m not good at this sort of stuff so I’m not much help. Since the two places are such different places and different management then two separate channels may be best. Especially for someone who isn’t as aware that you have two places. For me though, one would be great since it would be easier for me to follow along. Either way though I can’t wait to subscribe!

Comment

Last edited by Puncher51; 02-13-2019, 04:27 PM. Reason: Double post

Comment

I’d say keep all content under one name. It will be very easy for the viewer to check out all your videos with ease. Your video titles should make it very easy for the viewer to figure out what you’re doing and where you are.

Comment

Yes, we planted about 10 acres of that [ squash beans corn ] on a property I'm involved with up in north La. Did great. The deer busted open the squash eating the inside . I suspect coons, coyotes and hogs helped. But what was interesting to me was the doves poured in for the squash seed that was left. Made for good opening season dove hunting. Didn't see that coming.
                            sweeeeet

Comment

Originally posted by LHPanther View Post
                              I’d say keep all content under one name. It will be very easy for the viewer to check out all your videos with ease. Your video titles should make it very easy for the viewer to figure out what you’re doing and where you are.
                              agree

if this was a typical hunting show production on one of those channels you would have to name it "The Farm - Extreme Soils Exposed" or "A Year in the Life of a Farm - Pro Edition. Extreme" idk, something like that with electric guitars and jacked up 4x4's and such... Seriously, your doing stuff very few hunter/conservationist are doing (or at least very few people are sharing) so the title should reflect that. maybe "A _____ County Almanac", "____ Acres and a No-till Drill", "Soils to Antlers, Diary of a Modern Conservationist Farm". not very good at this

Comment

Mr. Baker, I think one channel with a format similar to Dr. Woods’ channel, Growing Deer TV, would work. Of course, his channel has a commercial lean due to the sponsors. Good luck, keep us posted.

Comment

Working...
                                X