No announcement yet.

Flashlight recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a Coast flashlight that is subcompact and fairly bright but eats batteries faster than Oprah eats bonbons.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
      I too have several Fenix, 2 Olights, a tiny streamlight, petzl, Coastal, and several other assorted brands, but day in and day out I use my Thrunites more than any others.
      The TN 36 you mentioned goes everywhere with me, and never leaves my truck.
      When you flat out need to light something up, no floodlight does it better.

The TN 42 stays with me constantly as well.
      When it comes to distance, it is the farthest shining "usable" light you can buy as far as I know, and has plenty of usable light in the immediate area.
      I use it for almost everything.
      As advertised you can light someone up at a mile, I've done it, and it will burn non-stop until the batteries are dead(36 will to).
      TN 50, wow!, but not a usable.
      Not what the op is looking for I'm sure, but I'm bit of a flashlight junkie, and TN has won me over.
      Just wanted to give them a nod since you mentioned them.
      We were working a major crime scene about three years ago. It was about 2:00AM and the crime scene unit needed some photographs of the front of the house. The technician went to put the camera on the tripod and… the tripod was broken. It was so dark she could only shoot at about a one second shot so it had to be on the tripod.

I told her hang on, let me go get my flashlight. She said the flashlight is not gonna work because the whole thing has to be lit up and a narrow flashlight beam just won’t do it. I came back with the TN36. Her comment was, Oh My God!

It literally lit up the entire house from the street and the house was sitting about 70 feet off of the roadway. She was able to shoot the photographs in about one 1/20 of a second.

I’ll look at the TN50 and being a flashlight junkie, I kind of want it but I don’t buy flashlights nearly like I did when I was still working at the police department. I think it is a little over 16,000 lumens. I have a harder time dropping $200 on the flashlight, even one that stunning. If I was still working, I would have one by now.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
        Fenix flashlights. Expensive but BRIGHT!

This is my go to brand.

Comment

Geez, $200 for a fleshlight...

Comment

Love my stream light.

Comment

Originally posted by jaime1982 View Post
              One that might light up 2 city blocks? Yes.

Comment

I have a Sniper Hog Light headlamp. I love it and prefer my hands be free.

Comment

I’m a Fenix fan too. Most used one while in the field is my Fenix headlamp. Hands free and adjustable brightness.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post

I’ll look at the TN50 and being a flashlight junkie, I kind of want it but I don’t buy flashlights nearly like I did when I was still working at the police department. I think it is a little over 16,000 lumens. I have a harder time dropping $200 on the flashlight, even one that stunning. If I was still working, I would have one by now.

Just know that when you start getting into these ultra bright lights, there is a threshold that once crossed, makes the light nothing more than a toy, "unusable".
                    TN walks a fine line with the 36 & 42, in the fact that they will run on the brightest setting until the batteries die.
                    Once the lumens get so high, the heat build up cannot be dissipated fast enough, and these crazy bright flashlights will start stepping down or shut off all together.
                    The 50 will make it about a 60 sec on turbo s before it steps down to 3000 lumens, 2 min on turbo before it steps down to 3000 lumens, 10 min on high before it steps down to 3000 lumens.
                    Meanwhile the 36 will burn continuously at 11000 lumens until the battery dies, but it will be so hot you cannot touch it, and it will melt plastic, or just about anything it touches its so hot.
                    We are making progress on that though.
                    The exception to the above being flashlights like the W30 that use a laser to excite phosphorus.
                    2 hr runtime, 500 lumens, will throw almost 2 miles, but again unusable as the beam has 0 stray light.

Comment

Nitecore

Comment

But it’s ribbed.

Comment

Originally posted by RedYote View Post
                          I own streamlights w/ replaceable batteries. I have a buddy with a rechargeable streamlight that is crazy light for how bright it is.

I carry 2 of these rechargeable Streamlights with me and and 2 smaller ones with lithium batteries and a cylinder of extra batteries. I also carry a handful of green chem lights just in case I get that strapped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Tag...

Comment

I appreciate all the information gang. Leaning towards Fenix but looking at some of the others mentioned as well. Anything is going to be an upgrade from what I have now. Thanks!

Comment

And it doesn’t talk back are keep asking you for money

Comment

Working...
                                X