No announcement yet.

Freeze aftermath

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There were about 25 cows that died on our place during the freeze in Red River County. They all look just like that.

Comment

Freeze got'em.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
        There's a reason African animals don't do good in Texas.

Lol. Theres a reason there's so many exotics in Texas....because they do exceptionally well here! Aside from once ever 50 year record freeze in which most did just fine.

Comment

Wow! Thats a shame to see that.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Man that is awful. Would make alot of nice euro mounts on the bright side.

Comment

I think like the rest. I don't think those died 90+ days ago.

In this heat, the decay would be worse I think

I could be wrong

Comment

Originally posted by Raleigh View Post
                Man that is awful. Would make alot of nice euro mounts on the bright side.
                I'm hoping somebody will do something with them. We didn't have time this trip as we had to make a rush exit right after they were located.

Comment

Bummer

Comment

I'm going with the freeze got them.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
                      I'm going with the freeze got them.

What is your idea regarding the lack of decomposition over 90days?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

There is no question they died from the freeze. There was no poison; no flux capacitor cable nearby. It got cold--they froze--they died--then they really froze. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
                          What is your idea regarding the lack of decomposition over 90days?
                          It's common in that country (Schleicher/Sutton/Edwards area) for animals to mummify like that and hang around for months (or longer). We seen this happen in summer, much less after a significant freeze event. There aren't enough big scavengers in those places to dispose of them quickly. Foxes and birds will pick some, but the carcasses just don't disappear or get drug off like they do in other areas. It's not uncommon for us to find a dead axis buck or two after the rut in the summer, and it takes forever for them to decompose, even in triple digit temps.

Comment

I lost 14 blackbuck during the freeze and they all look just like that.

Comment

Originally posted by MooseontheLoose View Post
                              It's common in that country (Schleicher/Sutton/Edwards area) for animals to mummify like that and hang around for months (or longer). We seen this happen in summer, much less after a significant freeze event. There aren't enough big scavengers in those places to dispose of them quickly. Foxes and birds will pick some, but the carcasses just don't disappear or get drug off like they do in other areas. It's not uncommon for us to find a dead axis buck or two after the rut in the summer, and it takes forever for them to decompose, even in triple digit temps.

Hmmm....makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Why all the cows die? I'm thinking starvation got the animals. I only lost one calf due to being born in the middle of freeze.

Comment

Working...
                                X