Originally posted by Shinesintx View Post
    556 is almost .224, but not quite.

.223 is .223

556 is .001 larger than .223

What the what?

This is why the internet is dangerous [emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

A mini 14 is labeled 223. It will shoot 556.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
        What the what?

This is why the internet is dangerous [emoji1787]

Dangerous because many internet readers are unable to comprehend what they are reading, ie lack of reading comprehension.

The 556 NATO round is actually 5.71mm, which is .224 inches. The .223 is .223 inches. The size difference is .001. How is that dangerous information?

Edit: 556 supposedly has higher pressure, to that, I do not absolutely know.
        Last edited by Shinesintx; 01-23-2021, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Dangerous because many internet readers are unable to comprehend what they are reading, ie lack of reading comprehension.

The 556 NATO round is actually 5.71mm, which is .224 inches. The .223 is .223 inches. The size difference is .001. How is that dangerous information?

Because the .223 Remington is actually a .224 caliber. And 5.56 is loaded to a higher NATO spec pressure.

Comment

They are exactly the same except for pressures and a 556 rifle has a slightly longer throat.

Comment

Originally posted by LWD View Post
              Because the .223 Remington is actually a .224 caliber. And 5.56 is loaded to a higher NATO spec pressure.
              What does the pressure mean? More powder? I don’t understand that part.

Comment

All modern 22 centerfire pills mic at .224...219 zipper / 220 swift / 221 fireball / 222 rem / 223 rem / 224 valkyrie / 225 win

5.56 is basically just a hot 223...do they even offer hunting rounds??

Comment

What does the pressure mean? More powder? I don’t understand that part.
                  SAAMI spec for the .223 Remington is 55,000. There’s a European spec for the 5.56 that’s 62,000 and change. NATO ammo that’s marked with the circle cross headstamp (think circle around a plus sign) may be hotter than that. A 5.56 chamber has some small differences that allow the higher pressure that would be over pressure in the .223. A .223 Wylde will handle both. The higher pressure will get you 100+ fps over the .223 depending on the bullet.

Comment

I’m not going to bust your balls but the bullets are exactly the same. There are no .223 bullets. They are all .224

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                      I’m not going to bust your balls but the bullets are exactly the same. There are no .223 bullets. They are all .224

I now understand it. I was wrong...by about .001 of an inch....but wrong nonetheless

Comment

I now understand it. I was wrong...by about .001 of an inch....but wrong nonetheless
                        Size matters...and this who time I thought you were a guy??

Comment

They both fire .224 projectiles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I know that shooting generic 556 vs quality LEO issue 223 is quite different....the 223 has a a much greater report.
                            For what it's worth, IMHO.

Comment

Again with complete respect to all, your original comment was that you are downsizing your gun/ammo inventory. If your are downsizing, and going to one rifle, then the 556 would be the way to go with zero argument as to what you can or cannot shoot out of it.
                              Last edited by Kgert; 01-23-2021, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kgert View Post
                                Again with complete respect to all, your original comment was that you are downsizing your gun/ammo inventory. If your are downsizing, and going to one rifle, then the 556 would be the way to go with zero argument as to what you can or cannot shoot out of it.
                                Yep.... or sell both and buy a Wylde chambered rifle.

Comment

Working...
                                X