No announcement yet.

The Official 2020 TBH/APR Special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was thinking 6.5SS but now wondering if 6.5PRC and the time savings of factory ammo is good enough. I already have a 300NM for bigger game, just looking for lighter weight and recoiling rifle for medium size game.

Realize reloading gets me more bullet options. It is nice though to not have to spend the time to work up a load and then loading up for shooting. Are most people here using factory ammo or handloading? Is loading as time consuming as it seems it'd be?

Comment

Robert, is this fluting an option? Still looking through all the build pictures but this caught my eye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
        I could go that route also in a shorter barrel. I think most of my stuff is 24 inch to 26 inch barrels.

.243 and .308 Sako and Tikka may be 22 inch barrels.

I did a 20” 7-08 last year and it is sweet!!

Comment

Can we put down the deposit and then sort out the final specs later?

Comment

Originally posted by kc5rkg View Post
            I did a 20” 7-08 last year and it is sweet!!
            Me too and its awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post

Yes as long as it's not past the cutoff date I belive.

Comment

Originally posted by peterp63 View Post
                Will the faster twist .257 barrels be able to shoot the factory loads (110, 115, 120, etc)??
                The faster twist .257 barrels will be ok with most of the bullet selects in the 110-120gr range such as the ELDX, Accubond, etc

I can PERSONALLY attest that my .257wby with a 1-7.5 (built by APR) runs the 115gr Bergers just fine.

Comment

Does anyone have any experience with a 6.5 PRC vs .300 PRC? Pros & Cons of each? What would be the ideal barrel length and contour for each to get the most long range performance? I do plan on shooting suppressed some of the time, but not all of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post

I would say yes, as I was nocking down the door and got the 1st order in. Still doing research, but deposit is in.

Anybody have any input on a short 6.5PRC - 20" +/-? Other thought is a 18" 7-08 as I want to run suppressed most of the time.
                    Last edited by bmac; 01-10-2020, 11:29 AM.

Comment

My 7-08 started with a 24” Shilen. I cut it to 22”. Going to cut it back to 16.5” real soon to run a suppressor. It’ll still carry enough energy and velocity to take deer out to 500 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by bmac View Post
                        I would say yes, as I was nocking down the door and got the 1st order in. Still doing research, but deposit is in.

Anybody have any input on a short 6.5PRC - 20" +/-? Other thought is a 18" 7-08 as I want to run suppressed most of the time.
                        My thought is that unless you go with a long barrel you won't get any more performance out of a 6.5 prc than you would a 6.5 creedmoor. I think the 7mm-08 is a great choice for a short barrel.

Comment

Originally posted by bmac View Post

I will be doing a 20" or 22" PRC
                          Sure you'll lose 200-300fps but Length is more of a priority when shooting suppressed. Should still be a hammer out to 600 yards

Comment

thanks for another great deal robert

Comment

My plan is to go with the 6.5 PRC in Option 2, with a 24" long carbon barrel and a AB Suppressor. I can't stand the thought of de-tuning the performance of the PRC into that of the creedmoor. I'm a high performance minded kinda guy and I am already stepping way down from what I'm accustomed to, but I'm convinced that the 6.5 PRC is a highly efficient and effective round that is factory ammo friendly and it will likely work to fill a gap for me. I predict that it could very well become one of my go to hunters, this side of mountain hunts for elk and mule deer, where my long range 28 Nosler trumps simply due to the shot distance that often must be overcome.

Anyway, I believe the AB Suppressors that Robert and Garrett & company at APR have been testing are going to be somewhat of a game changer on this barrel length dilemna that we suppressor users face. Having a lightweight can that "by design" adds less overall length to the barrel will ease the pain of running the barrel length needed to utilize a cartridge's potential. That's what I am thinking and hoping to see happen at least. I'm sure there's more to come on this subject...

Comment

Oh yeah, I'm pretty sure that I placed the first order on this year's build, but that wasn't what was on my mind when I called APR right at opening time Wednesday morning...

But making sure that I didn't miss out on this year's build WAS!

I think it gets better every year.

Comment

Working...
                                X