Lesson learned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lesson learned

My 16 year old learned a lesson today. We were at the lease trying to get an axis, blackbuck...or just some kind of exotic. We had zero success but another guy was there and he shot a nice fat doe and brought it back to hang it up and clean it.
    He got it skinned an the front shoulders off and back straps off. He trimmed the neck and then split it open to get to the tenders and he was going to take the ribs as well. As he was taking the innards out, his wife was saying “eeww gross, that’s weird, what’s this part what’s that part, etc....
    She pointed to an object and said “what’s that” and he said “it’s her bladder and good lord it’s full”
    I was just hanging around doin this and cleaning up that but had to stop and tell him (much to his shock and I thought she was gonna pass out) “ummmmm, that’s not her bladder and it’s not full of urine, that is her uterus and that is amniotic fluid and an embryo”
    I picked it up and told my son “This....this right here is why I stress to you to take your doe’s early in the season”

He got the message

I took pics to show my other kids to help drive that point home but I hesitate to post them here

I’ve seen this in doe late in the season, actually had a deer in there..

Comment

Well, I must be dumb.. What's the message?

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
        Well, I must be dumb.. What's the message?
        Well the lesson I wanted him to learn was that if you kill a doe late in the season you are more than likely killing at least 2 deer
        Yes, I know if you kill em early they won’t breed and in essence you are still eliminating more than just the doe from the herd but at least there isn’t a viable embryo involved

May be a screwed up way to look at it but it is the way I look at it and want my kids to understand it to

Comment

Originally posted by randal View Post
          I’ve seen this in doe late in the season, actually had a deer in there..

Definitely a recognizable embryo in there. If enough folks want the pics, I’ll post em

Comment

Hunted axis for years and they are always pregnant....really doesn't matter what time of the year

Comment

I don't like it but don't see how it makes a logical difference.

Comment

Killing an unbred doe vs a bred doe has the exact same effect on the deer herd. There’s literally no difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Better than a full term fawn.

I had a co worker who thought he was shooting a really fat doe, on a Thanks Giving weekend in Llano back in the 1980s.

Comment

Tomato /tomato.

Zero net effect.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post
                      Killing an unbred doe vs a bred doe has the exact same effect on the deer herd. There’s literally no difference.

Really?

You kill a doe early and she won’t have a fawn (or two) next fall but if you kill the same doe later in the year then she won’t have a fawn...

I never understood the logic either.

A dead doe will not produce any more offspring no matter what time she is killed. I have hunted on an MLD on doe hunts and the biologist usually cut open the uterus of a doe no matter the time of year. One doe I killed very early in the season had twin fawns about an inch long. I guess if I would have killed her a few weeks later, it would have been more obvious but she would have been no more pregnant.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
                        Really?

You kill a doe early and she won’t have a fawn (or two) next fall but if you kill the same doe later in the year then she won’t have a fawn...

Yes really. You just explained it yourself.

Comment

I agree with y’all that it makes no difference it just SEEMS ( I know it makes no sense) different when there is a 6 or 7 inch embryo in there

Comment

Seems like a pointless message to teach the kid

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                              Seems like a pointless message to teach the kid
                              Good thing he ain’t your kid I guess. I’m sure a lot of what you teach your kids is pointless as well

Comment

Working...
                              X