No announcement yet.

any good disfunctional family christmas stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We spend Christmas at my mother-in-laws. Always have, always will.We do a big Christmas eve dinner every year to celebrate. And this is where my brother-in-law, who also married into the family comes in. He has got to be the loudest human in the world.

It starts the second he comes in the door, Christ is risen, joyous day, it goes on and on. No problem with that, except he hasn't set foot in a church of 10 plus years. Some Christmas past he was helping with their contemporary service by playing electric guitar. Now this Bama boy is pretty good on the six string. This Christmas round about 2010 he gets filled up the the spirit, or maybe spirits, turns his amp up to 11 and goes full Jimi Hendrix for 20 minutes. We were sitting up front, and did not notice that the whole church had almost completely cleared out. And this was in the middle of service. He was asked not to be in the contemporary band, and quit church soon after. If'n them folks can't handle the true spirit working thru me, eff em!

So yesterday we have the family gift exchange. Us older dad's are always the last to exchange gifts. It is really more behind the scenes. I gave Bama a dozen or so cigars and he gives me, no lie, a bottle of Maker's Mark. I'm pretty impressed. Set it on the table, and one of my college boys, says dad, check it out, this bottle has been opened. It was short about three fingers from full. I just shook my head. Eh, no big deal.

The first thing he does after gift exchange is FaceTime each of his six kids from his first and second wives. He starts youngest to oldest, and goes around the room and re-introduces each of his "good hard working kids," to everyone at the house. (It is hard work filing unemployment and or government assistance, and it is all Trumps fault.) This means I get to say hi to "the kids" on six different phone calls. I don't know them, maybe met them once. About the last call I get the nod from my wife...It's time...

One of my Christmas (traditions,) aka, duties is to take uncle Bama out on the back porch and smoke a cigar and have a drink with him. Now over the years, these stogies get longer, sometimes two. This is all just keep him away from the rest of the family and off the roads. Two or three hours is appreciated by all. Especially by my MIL who can't stand the sight of him, much less listen him.

Each and every year I get to hear about one variation or another about all the jobs he has ever had, Lumberjacking, Sports Editor, off shore Tuna captain, ASE certified mechanic for Lexus, you name it, he done done it. He lost his millions in the stock market while out of the country and was unable to place sell orders until it was too late.

Yesterday he told me he was recruited to be a helicopter pilot in Afghanistan because some four star General saw how good he was on the drums while he was on tour with Stevie Ray. You see it takes a certain amount of skill to do four things at once, he would have been maybe 20 at the time, and try as you might, you can never seem to see any photos of him on stage.

Next, I got to hear about all things NASCAR. He knows Joe Gibbs, and Danika Patrick, personally, I tell ya! Look here are the pitchers... Okay, here you are with a pit pass posing with different racers as they do their walk thru, all on the same day.

Worst part of Christmas day yesterday, my whole bottle of Maker's was gone, and I had only two shots out of it. And his wife is mad at my wife for me gettin him drunk. I get to do it all again next year, and love every minute of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Davoh View Post
      First Christmas after I married my wife. All of my in-laws are pretty great, other than my wife's brother. A real "piece of work", he would spend all his money on his vehicles, then refuse to get anything for his parents or sister. The only reason he got something for his mother, was (and I quote) "Shut [her] the f*** up" (spoken to her face).

Wife and I had just found out that parenthood for us would be a certified miracle, so all the family talk at dinner Christmas Eve, about "when's the kids coming?" was really wearing thin on my wife. Her brother, posts a message on Facebook(while we're at the dinner table, knowing the entire situation) about how happy he is for his sister and her new family, and that he was looking forward to our having kids. And he tags her on facebook, so everyone we know on both sides of the family is getting this notification about it. Both of our phones start blowing up with people saying "OMG CONGRATULATIONS!", to which we have to explain the situation.

My wife at this point is crying, really upset, which leads him to make more offhand comments about how stupid she is. I'm a pretty level headed guy, but admittedly I get a little hot tempered when someone hurts my wife. I start closing distance, when their grandmother(who's 75+ y/o, about 4'10", and maybe a 100 lbs soaking wet) steps in front of me, and quite loudly says(prompting me by my full name), "It's Christmas Eve, so you'll have to just turn the other cheek... (and turns over her shoulder) even if he is being complete ***hole..." This from one of the sweetest little old ladies I'd ever met.

Fast forward nine months, we hadn't spoken to him since that 'event'(a big deal since he and my wife up till we got married, would talk multiple times a day...). We run into him at their parent's place. Apparently he had unplugged a freezer that I'd been keeping in their garage, full of groceries and venison(which all spoiled). She confronts him, and that is responded to with him punching her. I'm not sure how it got to that point. I just hear her from inside the house, scream out "stop, get off of me". I look out to see him man-handling her, throw her face first into the side of his truck(hard enough to for me to hear the "thunk" from inside the house), and punch her in the head. While yelling obscenities about her. I step outside already mad, and yell at him 3 times to get off her, his response was laugh, and hit her again. The 4th time i ordered him to let go, it was backed up with my pistol being drawn. Now that I had his attention, and he was threatening me, the pistol went back in the holster, and placed on the hood of the car.

Yet, I'm the one everyone resents, and no one will bother to talk to me about it.

*shrugs*
      I feel ya on this one...
      My wife's brother is a real peice of work. Totally dependent on mom n dad, unfortunately they just keep it going. He keeps getting jobs, then quiting. He once was working a cruise line, but got upset when he realized his job was to clean, not "help the captain". He proceeds to tell them he has a family emergency, get another free hotel in town and be flown back by helicopter before quitting.

Anyways a year after our son was born (after having two miscarriages) we went home to ohio. My wife really wanted to go hangout with her parents and I guess her brother tagged along. My son was in tow. Her brother is acting like a big child, wanting to see our son, blag blah, getting mad that we wont let him watch him, etc. He starts verbally being mean to my wife, and I think hit her. Ain't flying with me. I call and sternly say look, she ain't just your sister, that's my wife, do you understand. I'm about to say more when I hear some commotion, which apparently is him opening the car door and jumping out, running home, and locking himself in his room. He told his parents hes terrified I'm going to shoot him l, but wants to kick my butt. Lol. Well we go to their house to get some things and go see family. At first he stays hidden, but then I can hear him yelling at his mom. She tries to correct him, till he starts back talking her (mind you hes older than me. About 30). I jump in and make it clear, this crap ain't flying. No MIL or FIL deserves to be talked to like that, and I will beat the problem out of you, or you can come behave like an adult with the rest of the family. He shut up, walked back to his room, and locked the door. Did not hear from him the rest of the time and yet somehow I was the troublemaker for christmas the rest of the time lol.

Comment

Man.. I tell y'all I made really poor life choices by having decent jobs and not leeching off my family... lol

I could have had it MADE!

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
          Man.. I tell y'all I made really poor life choices by having decent jobs and not leeching off my family... lol

I could have had it MADE!
          Did I mention he gets to drive their mercedes, bmw, audi they buy new every year. Plus gets to keep his old 5.0 fox body. Lol mb we are the suckers...

Comment

Well I aint good at telling stories. So i will just have to slap a go pro on for yall next year.

Comment

Just more of the same from my side. I have a sister (older than me @50 about to be 51). She's gone off her rocker the last 5years. Shes a single mom who always did well. Had her own house and a great job handling cat claims for one of the big three insurance companies. She "lost" her job after having been there for 10plus years because she didnt get along with the new boss. She decided that she no longer wanted to do insurance and wanted to go into the corporate side to handle a companies side of the negotiations. She never followed up with the last training class she needed to be able to pursue that and has drained her retirement 401k, lost her house and now lives in a camper all in the last 5 years. She's also been a significant drag on my retired parents who are doing well on what they set up for retirement. Mom and Dad have had to cancel two annual vacations because they loaned her the money trying to keep her house. Its gone now. I feel bad for my niece. Anyways this year for Christmas she shows up late. (as usual). Didn't bring what she was for her share of the group Christmas dinner. Didn't have any presents for anyone. My wife and I "loaned" her $700 last month because she was delinquent on her storage unit that has the contents of her house. All Christmas Eve and Christmas day she laid around on her very largely growing *** and expected everyone to take care of her. Christmas Eve we went to a candle light service at my parents church that had snacks and treats after the service. She proceeded to gather as many cookies as she could at this event that all the nice old ladies had baked up, to make two "gift bags" she was going to give to two of her male friends. My dad and I had to leave for a while because we are both beyond ourselves. This is the point in life where my siblings and I need to be doing more to help our parents out. She is a drain on them, and Ive just about had enough. This Christmas was a disaster because of her. Mom is so depressed. Wont even talk about her. My younger sister has a great life and is in North Carolina so she hasn't been witness to this continuing downward spiral. Its gross.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
                Well I aint good at telling stories. So i will just have to slap a go pro on for yall next year.
                Please do!

Comment

Originally posted by chrisgunguy View Post
                  Just more of the same from my side. I have a sister (older than me @50 about to be 51). She's gone off her rocker the last 5years. Shes a single mom who always did well. Had her own house and a great job handling cat claims for one of the big three insurance companies. She "lost" her job after having been there for 10plus years because she didnt get along with the new boss. She decided that she no longer wanted to do insurance and wanted to go into the corporate side to handle a companies side of the negotiations. She never followed up with the last training class she needed to be able to pursue that and has drained her retirement 401k, lost her house and now lives in a camper all in the last 5 years. She's also been a significant drag on my retired parents who are doing well on what they set up for retirement. Mom and Dad have had to cancel two annual vacations because they loaned her the money trying to keep her house. Its gone now. I feel bad for my niece. Anyways this year for Christmas she shows up late. (as usual). Didn't bring what she was for her share of the group Christmas dinner. Didn't have any presents for anyone. My wife and I "loaned" her $700 last month because she was delinquent on her storage unit that has the contents of her house. All Christmas Eve and Christmas day she laid around on her very largely growing *** and expected everyone to take care of her. Christmas Eve we went to a candle light service at my parents church that had snacks and treats after the service. She proceeded to gather as many cookies as she could at this event that all the nice old ladies had baked up, to make two "gift bags" she was going to give to two of her male friends. My dad and I had to leave for a while because we are both beyond ourselves. This is the point in life where my siblings and I need to be doing more to help our parents out. She is a drain on them, and Ive just about had enough. This Christmas was a disaster because of her. Mom is so depressed. Wont even talk about her. My younger sister has a great life and is in North Carolina so she hasn't been witness to this continuing downward spiral. Its gross.
                  There comes a time when cutting (some) family loose is the right thing to do for your family. Nothing wrong with that!

Comment

Sounds like my brother and your sister would get along.. Spitting image

Originally posted by JLivi1224 View Post
                    There comes a time when cutting (some) family loose is the right thing to do for your family. Nothing wrong with that!

Comment

My 89 yr old mother has lived with my girlfriend and I for the past 14 years and if we take her out like to my daughters or sons for the day she gets very confused. So yesterday we were at my sons all day for Christmas and on the way home I could tell something was wrong. So we get home and she ask me what my girlfriend was doing there and I said she lives here and she looks at me and says well I'm not staying here if she is here. No I know what's happening, she thinks I'm my dad. I kelp calling her mom but she never understood and wanted me to find her a room to rent somewhere. Woke up this morning and everything is back to normal. LOL

Comment

I may have been the guy everyone complained about. My mom's side of the family Christmas is Sunday but turns out we have other plans. I always buy something incredibly dumb for Chinese Christmas ie 5 gallon bucket, toilet seat, etc. This year I planned to order one of those fake man buns from Amazon. My mom kindly reminded me that EVERY husband that married into the family on that side has a real man bun. I can only imagine the Facebook rants about insensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                          After I completed boot camp and my MOS training in San Diego, I called mom and told her I would be home for two weeks after Thanksgiving. Well I got home and did all the family tasks I was asked to do.

My uncle Bill told me we was going coon hunting, but I needed to ask my mom if we could use her 1972 Chevy Brookwood stationwagon. Mom did not care as long as we cleaned out the coon dog poop and did not throw dead coons in the floorboard .

They was me, uncle Bill, cousin Junebug and some other derelict I don’t remember riding around on the back roads drinking beer and homemade wine. We was road hunting the small patches of woods (20-40 acres). We would turn the dogs loose and let them hunt, we would stay at the Brookwood and drink.

For 7 months I had been eating military food and my guts was having a hard time with mom’s cooking. We dropped the dogs off at a woods patch and they hit a track. My guts was gurgling and bubbling from all that rich food mom was a feeding me. Them dogs treed and Bill says “lets go”. They was a ditch about 3ft wide and it was full of water,next to the road. I made a big leap and when both feet hit the other side I pooped my britches. It was an accident.

I let everyone one else get real far ahead of me and pulled my britches down and took my pocket knife and cut them drawers off. I threw them in the weeds and lit out after uncle Bill.

The dogs treed in a great big hollered out den tree . We loaded up and went home. Bill said we go hunting one more time before you leave.

About three days later we loaded up in the old grocery getter station wagon and went hunting. We turned them dogs loose at the same place I pooped my britches and they treed. Bill was running toward the treed dogs and all of the sudden he stopped and started hollering.

I was like dang he done found my drawers with a chit bisket inside them. They was boot camp drawers and had my name and social security number on them.

We all ran up to him to see what he was a hollering about and they was a possum laying dead with underwear elastic sticking out of its mouth and butt. Reckon it done consumed to much elastic and locked up and died. My name was not showing on them drawers, Bill said what kind of idiot would throw chitty drawers in the woods and kill possums.
                          Not sure how I've missed this thread over the years. It is all great, but this story from Radar had me laughing entirely too hard. I almost shat my britches

Comment

Originally posted by CEO View Post
                            I may have been the guy everyone complained about. My mom's side of the family Christmas is Sunday but turns out we have other plans. I always buy something incredibly dumb for Chinese Christmas ie 5 gallon bucket, toilet seat, etc. This year I planned to order one of those fake man buns from Amazon. My mom kindly reminded me that EVERY husband that married into the family on that side has a real man bun. I can only imagine the Facebook rants about insensitivity.
                            You should of told her that there is no such thing as a real man who wears a bun.

Comment

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
                              My 89 yr old mother has lived with my girlfriend and I for the past 14 years and if we take her out like to my daughters or sons for the day she gets very confused. So yesterday we were at my sons all day for Christmas and on the way home I could tell something was wrong. So we get home and she ask me what my girlfriend was doing there and I said she lives here and she looks at me and says well I'm not staying here if she is here. No I know what's happening, she thinks I'm my dad. I kelp calling her mom but she never understood and wanted me to find her a room to rent somewhere. Woke up this morning and everything is back to normal. LOL
                              Oh man that's just sad.

Comment

Not at all dysfunctional - just the FIRST Christmas ever with my sister.
                                Background: https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=739109

My dad gave us all t-shirts dealing with our 'shuffled' birth order. Photo attached.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X