Who eats wild boar hogs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bowhuntertex View Post
    Almost any wild hog if the meat is handled properly is very tasty, boar or sow. I have killed and eaten 2 boars that field dressed a tad over 260 and they ate just fine. No one ever knew they were that big and all liked the flavor of the meat.

This. It is all in the prep.

Comment

I have eaten lots of hogs and have not had a bad one, don't eat them if they smell nasty though. I have had a 300lb boar and it made lots of good meals. I also have no issue shooting them and letting them lay, coyotes and hogs will get my led even if I don't have a good shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
        Elk pee all over themselves and roll around in pee and poop water.
        All mammals are filthy and stink.
        Yessir. Its all in the prep. Elk are nastier than pigs! lol!

I brine the #### out of everything.

Comment

Originally posted by rolylane6 View Post
          If they cause you that much trouble I would think you would really want to make sure they were dead.Why not one good shot to kill them. You know a gut shot animal can sometimes survive, right?......especially a pig.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
          150 gr. 30-06. Ain’t no pig gonna live through that through the guts

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
            All of which is a perfectly good justification for getting rid of them, but not intentionally gut shooting them.
            Agreed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 88 Bound View Post
              Who doesn't?
              People who believe everything the read on the internet... or from their buddy who knows a guy who swears that this and that are gospel without any real context.

The reality is, there are a lot of factors that play into the quality of the meat off an animal. Time of year, their diet, and whether or not they are under stress, or fighting off an infection you can't see.

I judge each animal based off of the conditions and what I can tell when I get them up on the skinning rack.

Comment

I think anyone that says they don’t like the taste of a boar either doesn’t like wild game meat, or hasn’t ever tried it. I clean everyone I kill and butcher myself or give them away. I killed three boars over 250 last year all three tasted great. The loins taste almost identical to tame pork. I do soak them in ice draining the water daily for a week or so before I butcher.

Comment

I don't eat wild hog unless it's a 20-40lb that I trapped and corn fed for a little bit.

Comment

Originally posted by rolylane6 View Post
                    If they cause you that much trouble I would think you would really want to make sure they were dead.Why not one good shot to kill them. You know a gut shot animal can sometimes survive, right?......especially a pig.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
                    He's just trolling. No way he's dumb enough to believe what he's trying to sell.

Comment

I eat them all and actually prefer to shoot hog over deer.

I've never had issues with boars vs sows.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Ate plenty boars...Hang them feet up.give bath with Dish Soap (Dawn/Joy etc)Rinse well ...Start skinning one leg once you get to steak area..Cut in and get a steak.Pound/tenderize season and flour FRY...If its good continue skinning your prize...

If its FUNKEY ...Then its Yote/Buzzard chow

I have found most to be great...but now and then there's a funky one

That bath makes cleanin a Joy...Instead of a Mess

Comment

I have eaten many of them. They did not all taste great, some did, some did not. I have been told it's largely how you gut and skin them, not sure on that. I was told not to touch any meat, with hands that have touched the outside of the hide. Don't know if there is any truth to that or not. I was told to do that, since I killed the last pig I killed, have not found any in probably seven years. If I ever kill another, I plan on trying that idea out.

Comment

If the nuts dropped it stays, if not it's in the truck.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntertex View Post
                              Almost any wild hog if the meat is handled properly is very tasty, boar or sow. I have killed and eaten 2 boars that field dressed a tad over 260 and they ate just fine. No one ever knew they were that big and all liked the flavor of the meat.

This is pretty much my findings also.

Never had anyone turn down seconds on the Cuban pulled pork I made outta them either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by slayer View Post
                                We eat them all, no matter the size. Why waste the meat, you dont want it, donate it. That's just plain stupid to leave a game animal there and rot.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
                                Feral hogs are not game animals. They are domestics gone wild years ago. That’s why you can shoot them at night, with no hunting license, etc., and I’m pretty sure the powers that be don’t care where the bullet goes. I never intentionally shoot an animal anywhere except for a quick kill, but if a hog is running and I hit him in the gut, I do not care. Most anybody that does must not own land that the stinking bastages continually root up, run through fences, run off deer, etc. I have no empathy for wild hogs and no desire to eat them, but I kill every one I can.

Comment

Working...
                                X