No announcement yet.

Who eats wild boar hogs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We eat them all, no matter the size. Why waste the meat, you dont want it, donate it. That's just plain stupid to leave a game animal there and rot.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
      NOt me, but I don't eat any of them. Coyotes and buzzards eat well around my place.

The same!

Comment

If it's healthy I butcher it.
        I have found that a sow that has a bag full of milk has a bad taste to her but she will usually be pulled down by the little ones and skinny. I don't butcher those. keep the meat very clean when you skin and quarter them don't gut use the gutless method (unless it's a small one and i usually split them in half and smoke them really slow).

Comment

I've never had an issue with meat quality on ones we have gotten to quickly. Last couple of bigger boars I just took the straps out of because I didn't want to mess with cleaning em. Meat was great

Comment

Originally posted by lodgepole View Post
            I prefer them to deer. We keep all sizes. The largest I have personally kept was a 300+ lb (scale only goes to 300) boar. As long as you clean them as soon as you can AND get the hide off as quickly as possible they are good. Also age for at least two weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
            Tell me how you age for two weeks.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Big Red 82 View Post
              150 pounds is my cut off. Let him sit in ice for 6 days.
              This but I do around 100lbs on boars.

Comment

Originally posted by rjtkdplus View Post
                What about rats? I'm pretty sure they suffer and die when I poison them or catch them on a glue board. I love hunting hogs and kill and eat my share of them but I completely understand using any means necessary when pests are destroying your livelihood or property. I also understand using all means at your disposal when they are ruining your hunts for deer on the lease that you paid thousands of dollars and many hours of travel and work for.

Using all means has nothing to do with purposely shooting an animal in the guts. We have property and mowing it is a pain in the *** due to what the pigs do but I still don’t go out shoot them in the gut. I don’t even understand the purpose. I’ve shot pigs, deer and other varmints while hunting and they never bothered the other animals that came by or to the feeder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

If they don't stink they normally taste great. If they stink when you walk up to them, don't bother.

Comment

Originally posted by slayer View Post
                    We eat them all, no matter the size. Why waste the meat, you dont want it, donate it. That's just plain stupid to leave a game animal there and rot.

Feral hogs are NOT game animals. But they are tasty. Although some places that will take donated meat will not accept feral hog meat.

Comment

Originally posted by slayer View Post

Nothing in nature goes to waste. Mine have fed turkey vultures, mexican vultures, golden eagles, crows, cara cara, coyotes, bobcats, hawks....

Funny everyone always wants them till you call them and tell them you have some ready to be gutted. Then everyone is always busy or they'll get them next time, or maybe if I'll gut it and bring it to them....... we killed close to 200 last year. I have zero desire to clean something I don't like to eat.

Comment

For those who never eat boars over +/- 100 pounds... Why?

I understand if you walk up to one and it stinks...But other than that assuming the boar didn't stink did you try to eat one?

It's ok to admit you simply like to kill things and let them lay. We are all hunters here and all have done it. I shoot hogs and let them lay periodically as I'm just too lazy to clean them.

Comment

No issues with boars I have eaten. Up to 350 lbs. I bring everything into hamburger and sausage. They smell and taste like any other pig when you get the hide off and clean them as soon as possible. Chops and such can be hit or miss that's why it gets ground.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                            For those who never eat boars over +/- 100 pounds... Why?

I understand if you walk up to one and it stinks...But other than that assuming the boar didn't stink did you try to eat one?

It's ok to admit you simply like to kill things and let them lay. We are all hunters here and all have done it. I shoot hogs and let them lay periodically as I'm just too lazy to clean them.
                            I cleaned and processed a 300 lber once and it was awful, gave it all to the yotes.

If I am picking out one to shoot and eat I will shoot the one that is around 100lbs either boar or sow. Its just a good size to clean and will go in a smaller cooler so less ice used. 100lbers have done me right on taste and so I stick to it.

I also have times where I do not plan to clean anything and will mow as many as I can down with my AR, they destroy our land and I do what I can to reduce the population even though I don't even put a dent in them.

Comment

Originally posted by rolylane6 View Post
                              This should stir something up.

I believe it's wrong to intentionally gut shoot any animal to have it suffer a miserable death. It's just lazy in my opinion. Kill it quickly and get off your lazy butt and go dispose if it if you dont want to eat it. I get they are a nuisance animal but they still shouldn't suffer intentionally. As hunters, we're better than that.

I'm ready for my chastising now.....

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
                              In the same boat.
                              I do not try to make anything suffer when possible. From Rabbits to deer and even pigs.

Comment

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
                                as i hunter i'll never understand why anyone would purposely shoot an animal in the gut, much less advertise it. Every animal deserves to die in an ethical manner, even a pig.
                                Not pigs in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                                X