No announcement yet.

Who eats wild boar hogs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've eaten boars we killed in the hill country that wasn't bad. If they are over 75 lbs here in the swamps of southeast Texas I leave them for the buzzards. I try my best to pick out a sow instead of shooting boars.. I don't really care for rutting buck meat either.. I'll shoot a doe to eat before I shoot a small buck..

Comment

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
      as i hunter i'll never understand why anyone would purposely shoot an animal in the gut, much less advertise it. Every animal deserves to die in an ethical manner, even a pig.
      As a hunter idk why anyone would care what happens to a wild pig. They’re a nuisance and cause damage to properties. And they’re a pain to drag off when you shoot a bunch of them out of a group. But I don’t see animals the way most people do so that might be a difference as well. Every farmer/rancher I know guy shoots them so they’ll run in woods and die and not in their fields to tear up farm equipment if they run over them. Animals have more rights than humans these days and it’s sad

Comment

I prefer them to deer. We keep all sizes. The largest I have personally kept was a 300+ lb (scale only goes to 300) boar. As long as you clean them as soon as you can AND get the hide off as quickly as possible they are good. Also age for at least two weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

boars ... mostly not, maybe if it was veewy, veewy small.

Comment

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
            as i hunter i'll never understand why anyone would purposely shoot an animal in the gut, much less advertise it. Every animal deserves to die in an ethical manner, even a pig.

What about rats? I'm pretty sure they suffer and die when I poison them or catch them on a glue board. I love hunting hogs and kill and eat my share of them but I completely understand using any means necessary when pests are destroying your livelihood or property. I also understand using all means at your disposal when they are ruining your hunts for deer on the lease that you paid thousands of dollars and many hours of travel and work for.

Comment

Originally posted by CastAndBlast View Post
              I prefer hog over WT deer personally. The only hogs I won’t eat are the ones that still stink after skinning. I have had 200# boars have zero odor and taste great, but have also had sows smell horrible and taste like ***.

I don’t necessarily have a size limit on what I eat, more of a smell test.

Yep, me too...

Comment

I hunt primarily with intent to eat what I kill and never wanted to mess with a hog. This relates back to when I had abundance of locations to hunt they were not so many hogs and a lot of deer. I now Bow hunt public lands and Hogs offer more opportunity than deer so learning. Thanks for comments. All the hog meat I have tasted so far was great and common sense a younger sow would be better than a big boar so listening to you folks and if I get a choice, it will be 100lb or under miss piggy. I assumed they all stunk to high heaven!

Comment

Originally posted by sotx View Post
                  My deal is I hate having to handle the filthy stinking things. In my younger days I killed the hell out of them and ate them all. I am not that hungry anymore I guess. These days its gut shoot and let run off.
                  This should stir something up.

I believe it's wrong to intentionally gut shoot any animal to have it suffer a miserable death. It's just lazy in my opinion. Kill it quickly and get off your lazy butt and go dispose if it if you dont want to eat it. I get they are a nuisance animal but they still shouldn't suffer intentionally. As hunters, we're better than that.

I'm ready for my chastising now.....

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

We’ve eaten some boars from Coleman county that we’re fine. We cut the backstraps out of one killed (quickly and without struggle) in Young county. My buddy carried them into the shower house to wash off and I went to get a beer. Came back in the shower house to wash off my knife and the smell nearly knocked me down. Just awful, maybe could have soaked it out of it, but I didn’t want that stank in my cooler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rolylane6 View Post

I believe it's wrong to intentionally gut shoot any animal to have it suffer a miserable death. It's just lazy in my opinion. Kill it quickly and get off your lazy butt and go dispose if it if you dont want to eat it. I get they are a nuisance animal but they still shouldn't suffer intentionally. As hunters, we're better than that.

I'm ready for my chastising now.....oh and boars eat just fine. I've eaten plenty

Comment

I've never had a bad one, maybe I've just been lucky? I'll eat em all.

Comment

I have never had an issue eatin a boar. I have never killed one bigger than 300lbs though. My rule is if I am not dry heaving trying to skin it I eat it.

Comment

I'm sure you'll get some but I'm 100% with you for the nothing it's worth.

Bad shots happen but to intentionally be cruel is not acceptable at all and against everything a responsible hunter should stand for.

With that said I've eaten a quite stanky boar before and it was tough but still tasted fine. I've really never had wild pig that was bad.

Comment

same

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                                Small ones are fine. The big ones I usually just pull the backstraps in the field. I have eaten some 250+ pounders that were fine my old *** just doesn't want to clean them anymore.
                                Bingo, accept for the old part....

Comment

Working...
                                X