No announcement yet.

Time you won’t recover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We make a calendar every year off Shutterfly so we can look on last years memories. We then keep them like year books. Give them your time and don’t over book yourself with activities.

Comment

This day and age everyone wants to "capture" things on their phone...especially their kids. Look at sporting events or concerts. We are guilty of it as well.

I think we should do a better job of putting the phones down and just soak it in. Be Present!

Comment

Originally posted by MisterB View Post
        There is one thing I wish I had done. Most of my photos are on digital media, taken and stored on SD cards and computers. Over the past 60 years computers have crashed, jump drives and SD cards have been lost or misplaced; many were on floppy drives etc that I cannot even view anymore because my newer computers can’t read them. I wish now I had had my pictures printed and put in photo albums. The Cloud is nice and easy but at the time those little 4inch floppy’s were easy too, so were 8 tracks and such. My suggestion would be print your most valuable visual memories and put them in albums. You won’t regret it I promise. If you get lucky and live to be my age, those albums will be invaluable to you and your kids and grandkids. Take the time to preserve your memories as hard copies.

X 2 That is good advise

Comment

Originally posted by Wood Man View Post
          Just spend time with them. They don’t care doing what usually. Some of the things I did was things my wife and I also loved like camping, fishing, hunting, etc. Attend all their events and just let them know your always there for them.
          I'm not a father yet, but I have been deprived of time with my father while growing up so I do know how it effects the children. My dad was traveling for work 3/4 of the time. As I got older, when he did come home, we would work around the farm. I learned so much from him, cattle, fences, built our barns, house etc. I do credit him for teaching me how to work HARD.

But as I look back at genuine memories one specific day comes to mind. We went fishing early one morning in a 14' jon boat that my grandfather gave us so that we would spend time together. I was probably 8 years old at the time. I remember cutting through the waves, feeling like we were going 100 mph, soaking it all in. I believe that was the one and only time we took it out but I never had so much fun with my old man before and would've gave anything to stay in that boat with him forever. I'm not sure if it was being on the water or just being with my dad that embedded this memory into my mind.

To this day, him being so consumed with work (still is) has negatively impacted our relationship. We don't talk much, maybe once every 6 months and when we do it's a bit awkward.

So in short, I agree that time is key. Time is the most expensive thing each of us have and it is overlooked by the majority.

Comment

Originally posted by deerplanter View Post
            Pictures and videos are good but don't get caught up in trying to catch every moment on film. Spend good quality time with them and build memories that will last a lifetime.
            This. And I like annual events and family traditions
            I missed some time with the kids, but most of it was working
            Never missed games & practices or dance recitals & competitions.

It goes super fast.

Comment

Originally posted by MasonCo. View Post
              This is good .

I agree good thread.

I do not take many pictures but hopefully make many memories. We do many day trips locally and several times a year take a multi night trip somewhere. I keep hoping they will remember the memories. We often reminisce about the trips but never go and pull out the pictures.

Comment

Working...
              X