No announcement yet.

Deer processing: I have questions, gosh darnit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you decide to do it yourself then I recommend you go to Allied Kenco in Houston. They have what you need for processing and can help you with recipes

Comment

Thank you for the great responses! It's such a learning curve. I'm about to start a four hour drive back to Houston with my meat on ice. So I've got time to think on it.

I do have a grinder and sausage maker, so it seems like a no brainer to me. I like to get hands on. However... I'll watch videos first, lol.

I'll let y'all know what I do. Hardly slept last night reliving that shot in slow mo in my mind. Ok... I'm on the road!

Comment

Congrats on the deer.
        Glad you made the decision to butcher yourself. There is a satisfaction that goes from field to table when you do it.
        Sharp knives are your friend. Invest in a good boning knife like a Cold Steel one https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cold-Steel-...VyuJ:rk:2:pf:0

Camofire.com has been running a vacuum sealer for 39.99. It is a $80-100 unit. I have it, it is well worth the money. Pick it up if you can and get all set up to be your own butcher. Scraps are good for the dogs.
        Oh yeah...A good big teflon cutting board helps big time.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynda View Post
          Razorback, THAT is an excellent suggestion. It was on my mind... Thinking it can't be too hard. Have sharp knives, will slice.

Plus... I want to feel like I actually did some of the work besides loosing the arrow.

Thank you!
          Excellent how to.

Sent from my LM-X210CMR using Tapatalk

Comment

I like Aunties Meat Market in Pearland.

Comment

Buck Sticks....Oh hail ya!
              Last edited by Traildust; 10-10-2018, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Sooo... My grinder got tossed after the hurricane flood (along with most everything else). ��

Took my deer to Aunties Meat Market in Pearland, because it was just down the road, and it had good reviews. Thanks, txhunter007, for the pointer!

They're freezing the head for me. I'm going to boil it when I have a big ol' pot.

Now that I've got the bug again, I'll make sure to be better prepared to process it myself next time. Thank you for all the pointers. I'll take some time to go over all of the resources.

Cheers, gang!

Comment

Working...
                X