Feeding free choice corn - straight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeding free choice corn - straight?

I could do some research, but it's more fun to get GS opinions.

So, our rancher texts me today and tells me he has filled my old 500# Monarch 2 port protein feeder with corn. I thought i had read in the past that straight, free choice, corn is a bad idea for deer? In addition, i dang sure don't want the beasts filling up at 3:00 a.m. And, i don't see the point of filling that type of feeder with corn for the dang corn bandits to rake out by the sack full! This seems like a bad idea on multiple fronts.

Thoughts? Mostly regarding the health benefits / risks. I don't want deer blowing up from the inside out. Whaddyathink?

I had a feeder spill 300 lbs of corn a few years back and it took 2 weeks to get cleaned up.

Comment

Looking for responses.

The old man on one of the places I hunt will only allow free choice feeders. Says that timed feeders are too much of a headache. He is of the opinion that the deer will still hit the feeders morning and evening despite all the night pics we have. Oh well, I hunt that property in exchange for labor.

Comment

Originally posted by Fargus View Post
        Looking for responses.

The old man on one of the places I hunt will only allow free choice feeders. Says that timed feeders are too much of a headache. He is of the opinion that the deer will still hit the feeders morning and evening despite all the night pics we have. Oh well, I hunt that property in exchange for labor.
        I would like to exclusively have free choice feeders, but keeping them full and financially accommodating as much would be the bigger headache in my view.

Comment

I run 2 free choice with corn and 1 broadcast feeder - all corn on our family farm. It’s the only way the bucks will come in to feed especially before a cold front. The hunting has been really hard over the years and it was a game changer once I did it...

Comment

Originally posted by gneimeth View Post
            I run 2 free choice with corn and 1 broadcast feeder - all corn on our family farm. It’s the only way the bucks will come in to feed especially before a cold front. The hunting has been really hard over the years and it was a game changer once I did it...
            For the good or bad game changer?

Comment

Originally posted by gneimeth View Post
              No issues w/ deer eating too much and making themselves sick?

Comment

We keep corn piles out pretty much year round. Haven’t had any problems. Put a camera on the feeder and see when they hit it.

Comment

Originally posted by BolilloLoco View Post
                  We keep corn piles out pretty much year round. Haven’t had any problems. Put a camera on the feeder and see when they hit it.
                  So you do a lot of night hunting?

Comment

Just started running feeders this year for the first time in about 10 years. Boss Buck Protein feeders filled with corn. No problems having mature bucks on camera during the day. Don’t really have a bad coon problem either.

Comment

Originally posted by deerwatcher51 View Post
                      So you do a lot of night hunting?
                      We just like getting the pics on our cameras. Not real worried about them eating at night and not showing during the day. Most deer are still huntable. Just gotta think outside the box a bit.

Comment

A lot of deer corn sacks are labeled with a warning against unrestricted access as overconsumption may cause digestive problems and even death. Not sure if this is just CYA or something to it. Seems like a company selling corn would want you to pile it up.

Comment

I keep it out and it seems like they know how much to eat. Most eat for about 5 minutes and leave

Comment

I've never used a timed feeder. Sure, you get some night pics but late morning seems to be the best time. My two biggest deer were both shot at 9:45am over free choice corn.

Have watched a ton of deer feed and never seen one gorge themselves.

Comment

I run gravity fed feeders for corn. The deer still move in the mornings, mid day and evenings. I did not see a pattern where deer moved more at night versus during the day because of the 24/7 access to corn. Most of the deer will feed until they are satisfied between 10-30 minutes and then move on. In certain scenarios I prefer the gravity fed because you don't have to worry about mechanisms not working. You do have to fill the feeder up more often so it is not the most cost effective.

Comment

Working...
                              X