Need an opinion on a deer...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need an opinion on a deer...

This is for a high-fenced MLD place with introduced deer. Need to shoot some bucks this year per our counts. We have identified some real good deer to shoot and some to put on the no-shoot due to age. We've also identified some deer at least 3.5 that should be better and will be culled. Have one that I'm not sure what to do with. He was higher scoring last year due to being non-typical but this year is a an 8 with a couple kickers. He'd make someone a really nice trophy as a big 8. So would you shoot or give another year?

Last Year:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Crop 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	25161035

Name:	Crop 2.jpg
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	25161036

This Year:

Name:	TY Crop 1.jpg
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	25161023

Name:	TY Crop 2.jpg
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	25161024

Pass. I’d be willing to bet he explodes next year.

Comment

If you know he is 3.5 I would give him a pass for another year to see what happens.

Comment

What's his age just to clarify...

Comment

Give him another year, possibly 2.

Comment

If you’re trying to improve your herd to eliminate main frame 8s I would take him out. Great buck, no argument, but let the main frame 10s/12s do all of the breeding.

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter View Post
              If you’re trying to improve your herd to eliminate main frame 8s I would take him out. Great buck, no argument, but let the main frame 10s/12s do all of the breeding.
              This. I have him at 5.5 or older.................

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                What's his age just to clarify...
                I don’t know for sure. I’d guess he was at least 4 last year and maybe 5. Which means he’s at least 5 this year.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleCharlie View Post
                  I don’t know for sure. I’d guess he was at least 4 last year and maybe 5. Which means he’s at least 5 this year.
                  Gotcha, guess it depends on your management program. Sounds like its pretty intense, which would probably put him on the lower end of your 5 yr olds.. ..good luck with whatever you decide

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

I need to go back further than last year and see if I can find him and see if I can figure out exactly how old he is. He’s score wise behind most deer his age because of a lack of points but his frame is pretty good.

I tend to look for reasons not to shoot them. Ha. And that lack of aggression has us with needing to shoot some deer.

Comment

I would bet that non-typical rack was due to antler injury and not likely to show back up. only one way to find out though

Comment

I bet i could make a decision for you, without any hesitation!

Comment

Originally posted by JeffK View Post
                          I would bet that non-typical rack was due to antler injury and not likely to show back up. only one way to find out though
                          I hear you.

Comment

Kill him
                            Getting old

Comment

easiest way to decide to keep a deer or not is ask yourself, do you want to see more like him. I would shoot him. if he is on the lower end of his age class, that's an automatic ride to the cooler.

Comment

Working...
                              X