What to do? My chicken killin dog..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
    I don't know if it'll work every time, but I had a black lab/mutt that was a chicken killin' sun gun. My dad got tired of it, took the dead chicken in one hand, the dog's collar in the other and beat the dog with that dead chicken until his arm hurt.

Dog never went near a chicken again.
    When I was about 16, my dad's Lab killed the neighbor's chicken while Dad was out of town. I tried the ol "beat em with the dead chicken" routine. That's the only time I've ever been really seriously dog-bit. It really hurt when they scrubbed on it at the emergency room.

Comment

Red Ryder BB Gun, lock him in the coop and when he goes for a chicken shoot his ***. I just shake the gun now and my dogs scatter.

Comment

I've gotten rid of mine that did it.

Comment

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
          My grandfather swore by the tie a dead chicken to the dog theory. It seemed to work on one of our dogs.
          This right here.

Growing up my Doberman started killing my turkeys. He wasn’t eating them, he was just catching/playing with them but killed them. I wire tied one to his collar and left it on there until it literally started rotting apart. Swear to you he never looked at one again.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray McGaughey View Post
            When I was about 16, my dad's Lab killed the neighbor's chicken while Dad was out of town. I tried the ol "beat em with the dead chicken" routine. That's the only time I've ever been really seriously dog-bit. It really hurt when they scrubbed on it at the emergency room.

What did your dad do when he got back in town?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Take the dead chicken and hot shot/ cattle prod....cut a hole I'm the chicken where the prongs will stick out. Tie the dog up good and rub him with chicken...hit him with the electricity. Rinse and repeat. It broke two of our dogs from it. They would go run and get on porch if a chicken came near them.

Comment

Originally posted by dpg481 View Post
                Our male German Shepherd recently started after our chickens for some reason, after a long time of him living with them. We keep them in their pen and a large run, but one will get out every now and then. I have beat the crap out of him multiple times and he continues to stalk them when we are not watching and busy around the house. I guess it's time to break out the shock collar. And for the statement that chickens are cheap, think again. A grown laying basic Rhode Island or Sex Link sells for $20 each around me. That's around $1,500.00 in birds at my house, plus high protein feed is now $14.00 a bag where we buy it. It is a lot of birds, but my wife sells the eggs as a side hustle and does pretty good at it.
                That’s where we are. Last Summer I was able to sell around 10 doz eggs a week. Feed prices keep going up. We got the Puppy’s mother strictly as a livestock guardian dog. And she did a great job. Twice now, the neighbors hound dog has snuck over and bred her. That’s why we had her spayed…
                Our chickens are free range to somewhat offset feed costs.

Comment

Chicken runs are easy and cheap. But takes time to build. You can get rid of your dog or make a chicken run. We live in city but have foxes that like to kill chickens. Had to pen them up and then let them out when we can watch them.

Comment

How does one tie a dead chicken to a dog so that it cannot eat it? I guess it has to be snug?

Comment

Originally posted by Shinesintx View Post
                      How does one tie a dead chicken to a dog so that it cannot eat it? I guess it has to be snug?

That’s what I was wondering about too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by MUZZYSLINGR View Post
                        That’s what I was wondering about too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I just tied both legs to the collar with paracord.

Most of the chicken had fallen off within about 3 days but I left the legs for a week or so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

RIDE THE LIGHTNING!! nothing better if u know how to properly use this method. It is important to let them commit to attacking the chicken. It takes patience on your part. My son's dog thinks our chickens are 220v.
                          Last edited by pafdrn; 11-29-2022, 01:25 PM.

Comment

My sheepdog killed a couple of chickens and I watched it on replay from the security camera. He wasn’t trying to kill or it it just playing way to rough. I used a shock collar and took the time to watch him and after 3 or 4 zaps he is perfect around them and will attack any opossum or raccoon that gets near them.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                              Shock collar. Tie a chicken to the dog snd hit the button on high. Had a cat killing dog and after a one good session the dog thought cats were electric.
                              Dang good idea! Wonder if it will work on Jacks?

Comment

Use the same tactics they use in "snake training"... Let the dog actually go after the chicken and hit that sucker full on with a shock collar with long probes on high... He'll turn inside out every time a chicken even comes near him. Probably won't take more than once or twice and he'll be done with chicken!

Having said that, I had a lab once that got after my neighbor's chickens.. crippled one, so I paid the neighbor for his prize chicken, but I retained possession of it. I flat wore that dog out with that chicken. Beat him severely 'bout the head and shoulders with that chicken... Never had another issue of her messing with chickens... didn't hurt her retrieving one bit... but a chicken live or dead, she wouldn't have anything to do with it!
                                Last edited by SaltwaterSlick; 11-29-2022, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X