No announcement yet.

What to do? My chicken killin dog..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a lab and a bluetick get into our chickens. Ziptied the deads ones to their collar for a few days and thought problem solved. Nope. Next time I tanned that ace with a tree limb. That worked.

Currently have 3 jack russels of different ages. Each one got after the birds once. I actually have one that will 'herd' them back into the coop when I tell her. But she wont bite them

Comment

I'd like to tell you there is a way. Some dogs might respond to the whippin but most wont. Keep your dog or your chickens penned up. Or decide which, chickens or dog, you want around.

Comment

My understanding with the tie to collar method is you have to leave it until it rots off.

Shock collar and hide out, every time you see it get near a chicken light it up
        Sounds better than smelling a dead chicken

Comment

The only thing that worked on my chicken killing do was a bullet.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
            My understanding with the tie to collar method is you have to leave it until it rots off.

Shock collar and hide out, every time you see it get near a chicken light it up
            Sounds better than smelling a dead chicken
            The beeping of the collar now is enough to make my dog pee!

Comment

Shock collar-
              Long probes-
              Long ride on the lightning and not just a bump- I stopped a Jagd Terrior. Broke my heart doing it as he took about 4-5 rides. He stayed 20 yards from chickens and if they came to house he went and laid in yard.

Comment

I tied the last one my lab killed to his collar. Worked great, he’s 10.

I was also worried about it affecting his retrieving, so the dead chicken on the collar thing was my best option. He still retrieves no problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Strap knives to the chickens wings. See who ends up victorious.

On a serious note, hope you get it sorted. I remember my grandfather talking about tying one to the dogs collar like others said.

Comment

Originally posted by Benno View Post
                    Had that problem with my lab years ago. Once we ran out of chickens, she never killed another one.
                    Lol

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Comment

Keep the dog and chickens separated...

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                        I don't know if it'll work every time, but I had a black lab/mutt that was a chicken killin' sun gun. My dad got tired of it, took the dead chicken in one hand, the dog's collar in the other and beat the dog with that dead chicken until his arm hurt.

Dog never went near a chicken again.
                        I've been successful with this method on two dogs. My method is to catch them in the chicken pen and shut the door behind me and not come out until the dog has a good understanding.

Comment

We had a heeler that killed chickens like crazy. Beat her with the chickens… nothing changed.

Made a cable run out by the barn, tied a chicken to her neck, and left her out there for 3 weeks. Didn’t get close to her other than to feed/water her; but even then, gave her zero affection or attention.

Once she got done with that stint, she never so much as looked at a chicken.

Comment

I appreciate all the replies. And I’ll do whatever I have to to keep the chickens safe. The issue, is that the dog, is my only livestock guardian dog. Her mother died (complications from getting spayed,most likely)when the puppy was about 4 months old and didn’t get a chance to fully train her pup. I’m hoping that I can correct the dog, so that she will do her job. If not, the dog won’t be around much longer. I’ll let y’all know how it goes. Last chance.

Comment

You have a few things to try .
                              Dead chicken around its neck untill it rots off and fall off by its self. This worked for my dog .
                              Shock collar
                              Keep the birds cooped up
                              Or get rid of the dog .

Comment

Our male German Shepherd recently started after our chickens for some reason, after a long time of him living with them. We keep them in their pen and a large run, but one will get out every now and then. I have beat the crap out of him multiple times and he continues to stalk them when we are not watching and busy around the house. I guess it's time to break out the shock collar. And for the statement that chickens are cheap, think again. A grown laying basic Rhode Island or Sex Link sells for $20 each around me. That's around $1,500.00 in birds at my house, plus high protein feed is now $14.00 a bag where we buy it. It is a lot of birds, but my wife sells the eggs as a side hustle and does pretty good at it.

Comment

Working...
                                X