Why do we lie to our kids?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andre3k View Post
    I guess my question really triggered a lot of people on here. It was a question that I posed to myself after I was discussing honesty and telling the truth with my own kids. My wife mentioned Elf on the Shelf and I wasn't feeling it this year. I just talked to my kids about being honest and not lying, and then I would turn right around a perpetuate a lie about an elf. It didn't seem right to me.
    In the colloquial language of the day, triggered or triggering a response has a negative connotation. To be triggered is to be angered.

Your OP is quite the opposite unless you want to imply that it has triggered comedy and amusement.

It appears that the person triggered is you upon finding out that almost no one has embraced your enlightened childhood at an early age.

Your conclusion tells it all… “I wasn’t feeling it”.

Absolutely!! Because you missed out on part of fond childhood memories, you want to pass on that missing enjoyment.

You’re entitled.

So are we.

I am not a psychologist but I slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night….

Comment

Southern Baptist Theological Seminary President Albert Mohler Jr suggested to Christian parents that they shouldn t treat Santa Claus as an imaginary figure

Dr. Mohler says it a lot better than I can!
      Last edited by Kirby86; 11-16-2022, 10:45 AM.

Comment

OP, do you believe in dinosaurs? Do your kids? Just curious
        Last edited by AntlerCollector; 11-16-2022, 11:02 AM.

Comment

What if you don't roll Holy, but still love Christmas?

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
            Andre... go watch Polar Express and chill out.
            Ruldoph The Red-Nosed Reindeer

I liked the Romeo and Juliet moment when Clarice found out that Rudolph had a red nose but fell in love with him and that made daddy reindeer mad and forced them apart.

But it didn’t work…..

Clarice then put on what might have been the cartoon move of all time when she told Ruldoph later that any doe would be lucky to be with you. She must have been enlightened at an early age about the rut.

Of course I am emotionally damaged since I found out it was all a lie.

Comment

Originally posted by Clearfork51 View Post
              Good grief don’t you have better things to consider?
              for real, who wakes and says hmmm.... i think ill post this random thought on a hunting forum. There are more posts about non-hunting related topics on here than there are hunting posts.

Comment

Originally posted by andre3k View Post
                As a parent I would hope that we want to teach our kids the truth. The truth about the birth of Jesus Christ as written in the Holy Bible and being able to discern that from man's traditions that have somehow crept in over the centuries.

To be a Christian parent and teaching my kids about Christ and the bible. It would seem unfathomable to include Santa Claus and reindeer into that narrative. But yet I have done it.

I can't teach my children the truth while telling them a lie.
                I can appreciate your purpose, but if you do some research, the Santa parable is actually based on a true Christian person. I feel like with my kids, we were able to enjoy the parable and still worship, follow, and share about the true story of Christmas of being Immanuel, "Christ with us."

Comment

Some people on here tell their spouses, friends and families they are bow hunters, What's the difference ?

Comment

Originally posted by rut-ro View Post
                    Some people on here tell their spouses, friends and families they are bow hunters, What's the difference ?
                    Boom goes the dynamite

Comment

Once upon a time, ah **** forget about it, never mind!
                      Chew, prayers up for your cousin, must have been a rough time being taking out by a rutting reindeer.

Comment

Originally posted by rut-ro View Post

[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by droebuck View Post
                          So when your kid comes to you at age 3 and ask where babies come from you give them the full birds and bees talk at 3? By your logic every question asked by your kids should be answered with absolute truth and that just doesn’t work with the evil world we live in. Unless you want them mentally scarred at a very young age.

Yes, they should be answered with the truth, but with answers only to the question asked.

Where do babies come from? From mommy (and ONLY from mommy…)

Comment

"Do these jeans make my butt look big?"

No idea what your wife looks like so not implying anything, just trying to make a point and you get my gist. Sometimes self preservation comes first
                            Last edited by rladner; 11-16-2022, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post
                              https://www.christianpost.com/news/h...weighs-in.html

Dr. Mohler says it a lot better than I can!

Great article, though I’m not sure I agree with all of it. The premise is that Santa Claus is a metaphor for the Christian values of giving and the importance of caring for our children.

Comment

Originally posted by CEO View Post
                                What if you don't roll Holy, but still love Christmas?

Then you should definitely celebrate, if for no other reason than that you are contributing to the most significant economic stimulus factor in a consumer driven economy! A rising tide lifts all boats.

Comment

Working...
                                X