Why do we lie to our kids?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andre3k View Post
    When we let them believe or even propagate the belief in Santa Claus at Christmas time. I'm guilty of it, but it feels weird to teach my kids the importance telling the truth and honesty and then lie to them about Santa Claus.
    You might as well go ahead and Squash the Easter bunny, Tooth Fairy and their imagination while you at it.

Comment

the world is not so cut and dry..... Lots of grey area. This is one that is widely accepted socially. Is it ok to tell a lie to save someone's feelings? Don't overthink this with your kids. Let them believe and they will figure it out on their own at some point. Or you can be honest with them now and create a jaded 6 yr old......

Comment

My kids are all jacked up now. Years of psychobabble in their future. It all goes back to them busting me moving that dang elf on the shelf. They realized it had no magical powers and mom and dad touched the poor thing and not only did that not zap him of his powers; he never had powers to begin with! They had “My parents are FRAUDS” t-shirts made and rarely leave their rooms during what was formerly known as Christmas season. Parents have sought counseling, Eastern spiritual guidance, hot yoga and chiropractic care. Sadly, nothing has worked.

Comment

Because kids are pure and as a parent, we hope to walk them into the reality of how cruel life can be and not just kick them into the deep end of the pool.

It's our job as parents to lead our children into becoming stand up people. Same as teaching them to manage money, build a foundation to earn a living, etc....

Comment

Its a story for kids that makes growing up fun........not for grumpy adults hung up on absolutes....

Comment

To all you people who say "is it deer season yet?", I give you Exhibit A. It doesn't matter. In fact, some of the posts are even weirder DURING season.

Comment

When we let them believe or even propagate the belief in Santa Claus at Christmas time. I'm guilty of it, but it feels weird to teach my kids the importance telling the truth and honesty and then lie to them about Santa Claus.
                Or you’re way over thinking it and they are just children. Go watch Peter Pan and take it down a notch. Lol biggest Derp post ever
                Last edited by Fmjag64; 11-16-2022, 08:43 AM.

Comment

C'mon man

Comment

When our kids were little we wanted them to believe in Santa but after praying about it with my wife we no longer want them believing in Santa and want them to really focus on Jesus Christ instead of Santa and presents.

We worried that if we told them this lie of Santa that they would then mistrust the bible. The bible isn't just a book of stories, they were real people and Jesus is real.

What are some of the ways your family brings Jesus back to Christmas for your kids and not just all the things of this world?

Comment

So how old are your kids?

Comment

I didn't think telling your kids the truth would be met with such resistance.

Comment

Best thing is the fat man gets all the credit for your hard earned money!! [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We've never messed with santa or easter bunny at our house. Christmas and Easter are about Jesus.

Somehow, against alot of y'alls points above, my boys seem just fine with life and these holidays.

Comment

Originally posted by chastings77 View Post
                              When our kids were little we wanted them to believe in Santa but after praying about it with my wife we no longer want them believing in Santa and want them to really focus on Jesus Christ instead of Santa and presents.

We worried that if we told them this lie of Santa that they would then mistrust the bible. The bible isn't just a book of stories, they were real people and Jesus is real.

What are some of the ways your family brings Jesus back to Christmas for your kids and not just all the things of this world?
                              And this is what I'm getting at. My kids already know that Jesus wasn't born on December 25th.

Comment

The lie that Santa Claus is real and delivers gifts to every child in the world in one night. Is that not a lie that is told to kids? Whats a good lie, vs a bad lie?
                                You mean he aint real?

Comment

Working...
                                X