Make your pitch for best dog breed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Artos View Post
    My two were/are every bit as intelligent as my labs were...they both have/had a more comical side to their personalities vs the other dogs which I appreciate. Seems they are always trying to get you to laugh.

They also don't have the overcoat / shedding issue or dog smell in comparison which is a big deal for us being indoor.
    I need a heeler that doesn't shed. I run two roombas!!!! lol

Comment

My Great Bernese is a good dog. Ours was a rescue and is very lovable and obeys well
      Only problem is he sheds like crazy. I keep him trimmed in the summer but this central texas heat is tough on him.
      Not a retriever but super with the family and travels well. Big enough to look dangerous, but good with small kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Twist View Post
        There’s going to be a whole lot of not wrong answers because several breeds fit that part above but to me, that almost screams Lab.
        This

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
          This thread is giving me the itch for a new pup.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	pup.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	24689036

Come and get him, he can open beer cans and track hogs.

Comment

Anyone have a Pudelpointer?
            Last edited by CEO; 08-24-2022, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Believe it or not I’ve had 2 different Rottweilers that would track deer and fetch.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
                I'm not ready just yet to get another dog as it's only been a week since we had to put our Aussie mix pound rescue down after 14 years with her.

I want to put some thought into our choice this time, so...
                With so many options, sell me on why you prefer your chosen breed.

FYI
                I'd like a dog that will travel well
                isn't aggressive
                isn't gun shy
                Prefer a medium or slightly bigger sized dog
                Not planning to train it for a particular job but it would a bonus if it could fetch up downed dove.

I'm sure I'll think of some other requirements as this goes on.

Another vote for a heeler.

-Travels well
                -50 ish lbs
                -Loyal. They generally want to stay by your side or keep you within sight as opposed to wondering off.
                -Raised mine around hunting 3 months a year for 5 yrs and she's now a good blood tracker.
                -They take a lot of time commitment early on, but months 2 though 6 (assuming you get a pup) they can learn an incredible amount if you have time to work them with commands and take them with you as much as possible for exposure.
                -They are dogs that like a job to do, but if you take them with you as much as you can then they understand that their job is to please you and follow your commands. I like to use hand commands along with the words, because their sight seems to outlast their hearing in those 13-16yrs. They get their feelings hurt if they think that (by your tone of voice) they let you down. Life expectancy 14-16 yrs. Very cool breed.

Comment

Vizslas all the way.

Comment

I loved my JRT. Bought my Wife a Corgi. I was really not happy about the choice at first.....I did not let my Wife know that.....He has been a great pup. Smart dog and he likes to swim in the pool with us.

Comment

So many great breeds to choose from and generally it is the owner in large part that makes the dog IMO. My shelter pound pups have all been fantastic loyal friends.

Recently picked up a Boxer pup from a TBHer. Grew up with a boxer and this one so far seems to be just as smart and quick learner.

Comment

Love my Blue Heeler [emoji3590]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bcmuzzy View Post
                          Love my Blue Heeler [emoji3590]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          same here. Got her from a TBH'er a few years ago when she was 6 yrs old.
                          Part of the family now.

Comment

German Shepard
                            I had one that came from Germany, she was a working dog and I would be dead if it was for her.
                            She would respond to verbal or hand signals, she would never bark. She would track, clear buildings and she could be as aggressive as needed, she had no fear. She liked to play football with the neighbors kids

Comment

Ran across this & thought it was fitting here for the dog lovers...

Comment

Dang you Artos! my wife made me promise I wouldn't go visit the shelter.

Comment

Working...
                                X