No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thats good stuff right there. Most people don't have that opportunity to be with their family

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats. Really nice bull

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Comment

3rd season bull tag for me starts tomorrow. Good luck to everyone hunting in the morning.

Comment

I think this is day 50 of my 4th season in Montana trying to kill an elk. Heard one shot below me, there were 2 hunters. I saw them at their truck told them there was a griz sow and 2 cubs known in that drainage. But I’m only a mile away.

I chased 35 elk yesterday, saw 500 a couple days before and 800+ before that. At least I have warm coffee.

I’m going out every day until it closes. Then, if nothing I’m questioning if I’ll hunt at all next year if I don’t pay for a guided archery hunt.

Good luck to you guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I spoke with my good friend and Cali hunting partner- told him 50 days hunting and no success.

After a pause, he said

“A heck of a lot better than 50 days working”.

It’s all how you think about it.

Comment

You're having too much fun Bill, keep the updates coming! I'm enjoying following along and the pics too.

Comment

Late to the party. Here is an elk I killed a couple of weeks ago in Montrose Colorado. Pictures just don't do him justice.
                Attached Files

Comment

Got my bull mounted and hung up yesterday. My wife could barely contain her excitement.

I told her that the good news was that the mount wouldn't get any bigger from here on out. Just the horns when I kill a bigger one! She wasn't amused.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Very nice, congratulations.

He needs a couple Christmas ornaments hung on him.

Comment

Dang Chad! Beautiful mount.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad_E View Post
                        Got my bull mounted and hung up yesterday. My wife could barely contain her excitement.

I told her that the good news was that the mount wouldn't get any bigger from here on out. Just the horns when I kill a bigger one! She wasn't amused.
                        That is a great mount, beautiful house as well!
                        Do you happen to know what form that is? I've got an elk at the taxi and haven't decide on a pose.

Comment

Hello fellas,

I believe this is the time of the year when people start putting in for elk bow hunt tags in several of the western states. This is something that ive always wanted to do. Short of hiring a guide which is very expensive from what i understand, i would like to do a DIY elk hunt. But instead of going solo, i'd rather hook up with anyone (or a team) that has already done these DIY hunts that may have a spot open.

So this post is to see if any of you more experience western elk hunters care to take a newbie along and perhaps make a new friend.

Thanks in advance.

Benson

Comment

Originally posted by Benson View Post
                            Hello fellas,

I believe this is the time of the year when people start putting in for elk bow hunt tags in several of the western states. This is something that ive always wanted to do. Short of hiring a guide which is very expensive from what i understand, i would like to do a DIY elk hunt. But instead of going solo, i'd rather hook up with anyone (or a team) that has already done these DIY hunts that may have a spot open.

So this post is to see if any of you more experience western elk hunters care to take a newbie along and perhaps make a new friend.

Thanks in advance.

Benson

Good luck on your search but I’ll say this…

Don’t let years go by without hunting waiting on a group. I finally decided last year to just do a solo hunt and it was an amazing experience. Was even able to tag a bull with my bow. Do tons of research, buy the best gear and dive off into it!

Comment

Need advice on negotiating

Originally posted by Chad_E View Post

You obviously succeeded in your negotiations for getting the Elk in the living room. Do you have any advice or tactics? My home office won't fit mine and I have a lovely rock fire place just like yours begging for an elk mount. LOL

Looks awesome. Congrats.

Comment

Did my first bowhunt for elk this past season in NM near Mora. Late Sept. It was too hot! we heard a few bulls bugling, not really responding to the call. One day I saw two young bulls and two cows. That was it. Fun trip, disappointing on the elk front.

In November we went back to Golden, CO for our third year. I had an OTC elk tag for the 3rd Rifle. They had a good bull on trail camera by the water hole. But other than that, not many elk sightings. Again too hot for the normal movement they see on that ranch. Well, the last day I got lucky. And got the one on camera. I thought he was big, but didn't really know what I had done. LOL The guides were super excited to say the least. One of the bigger bulls they have got on that ranch ever. Also, got a nice Muley.

Comment

Working...
                                X