No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great info Bill, thank you. Question, do you practice drawing from the Serpa attached to the waist belt of the pack? How efficient is the draw cycle? I use the Serpa also and I'm really good from my pants belt but can't seem to get comfortable with it on the pack belt so I've been looking at other options, but I don't like any of the other options lol. Great tip with the duct tape.

Comment

It works for me. I’m just used to pushing the Serpa tab in to release the pistol.

The cross chest holsters are popular here. I just can’t seem to get it to work with a binocular pouch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

In Colorado…. Are bow sights with the rheostat light battery case removed still not legal for use? Manual under (f) says “or battery-powered device”.

If no battery or battery housing its not battery powered…wherein still battery powered capable but housing will be left at truck or in TX. Ive a several year old Trophy Ridge React 5…and apparently theyre still being made and sold at local TX archery shop…Id rather not have to buy a new sight before going CO OTC Archery.

Thanks for any help Hunters.
        Attached Files

Comment

Call their DOW customer service number. I don’t know.,

Comment

Yes Sir. Ive got their number saved in my phone contacts for a Monday phone call. I tried calling today before I posted…didnt figure amyone would pick up. Ill let Yall know what I find out.

Comment

Get psyched for western huntin’ boys.

The pronghorn archery-only season opened this morning. Sitting on a ridge glassing 2 basins and the saddle.

An opening-day prayer and swig for Concho Man and all the other TBH folks no longer with us.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                Get psyched for western huntin’ boys.

The pronghorn archery-only season opened this morning. Sitting on a ridge glassing 2 basins and the saddle.

An opening-day prayer and swig for Concho Man and all the other TBH folks no longer with us.

Good luck sir !!!!!

Definitely psyched here. Had to add bear spray and some hard cast ammo to my normal list. I usually don’t carry anything in black bear country but headed to grizzly country for first time. Headed to your state !

Comment

Very nice Bill. As I stated in the FART thread I miss your California hunts in July as they were the kickoff to hunting season for me.

I did a 4 mile hike this morning, spending 3-5 days a week on exercise. I'll ramp up in mid September in preparation for October 30th in New Mexico for elk second rifle.

Best of luck to ya.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Pinky up! Cheers!

Comment

No pronghorns yet, watched 15 elk leave an alfalfa pivot before sunrise. 1 legal rag horn bull in the group.

Take a Stanley thermos with a sealable top and a little Krylon camo paint. Nothing like a cup of hot coffee and a snack!

Comment

Good luck Mr Bill.

I called CO Hunt Planner today. The super nice guy on the phone confirmed with someone and said that since the bow sight light, light housing which houses the battery can and will be removed completely…it will be legal gear. Super cool.

Im finalizing breaking in my Kenetreks with the help of a 50 lb bag of calf creep in the pack whilst doing farm chores.

Comment

Little FYI for those coming to NM for Elk.

Prepare yourselves for mask mandates while out using local businesses.
                          The governor put her mask mandates back in place starting 08/20/21.

In an effort to curb the rising number of COVID-19 cases, the governor announced a mask mandate for all public indoor spaces, regardless of vaccination status, which she was hopeful would be enough to blunt the spread of the COVID-19 Delta variant.

“We’re going to use masks and vaccines to blunt the spread of COVID and see if we can’t rebalance where we are as a state, particularly given the Delta variant,” Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham said during a press conference on Tuesday.

The mask mandate will go into place on Friday, Aug. 20 and last until at least Sept. 15
                          Last edited by ladrones; 08-18-2021, 08:27 AM.

Comment

I had a feeling this we were headed for it.

I'm headed out for a light scouting trip in Sept and can't wait to put some boots on the ground.

Comment

I’m still figuring out how pronghorns.

Yesterday morning I watched between 80 and 100 elk leaving an ag pivot before sunrise. 2 spikes, the rest cows and calves. They filled a hillside going up towards the public land.

……. 3 miles from our house. God blessed us retiring here.

Comment

good to know thanks, getting to red river on the 27th then going into valle the 31st for two weeks, this is our second trip up there been incredible times and looking forward to cooler weather minus the rains haha.

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
                                Little FYI for those coming to NM for Elk.

Prepare yourselves for mask mandates while out using local businesses.
                                The governor put her mask mandates back in place starting 08/20/21.

In an effort to curb the rising number of COVID-19 cases, the governor announced a mask mandate for all public indoor spaces, regardless of vaccination status, which she was hopeful would be enough to blunt the spread of the COVID-19 Delta variant.

“We’re going to use masks and vaccines to blunt the spread of COVID and see if we can’t rebalance where we are as a state, particularly given the Delta variant,” Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham said during a press conference on Tuesday.

The mask mandate will go into place on Friday, Aug. 20 and last until at least Sept. 15

Comment

Working...
                                X