No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You better call NM and ask, they have some rules on skulls and meat from CWD areas.

Comment

NM can tell you NM regulations, I’d be surprised if they told you Texas regulations.

Only quarters can be transported in Texas? If somebody boned-out an elk backcountry 5 miles from their truck to transport meat and not bones on their back, that’s not legal to bring into Texas in meat bags?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
        NM can tell you NM regulations, I’d be surprised if they told you Texas regulations.

Only quarters can be transported in Texas? If somebody boned-out an elk backcountry 5 miles from their truck to transport meat and not bones on their back, that’s not legal to bring into Texas in meat bags?

I'm not packing out bones!

Comment

A boned out quarter is still a quarter.

Comment

Almost time. Anyone want to rent a spot:

Comment

Make sure you go into the setup menu to change the contact emails and texts, plus your personal msg that goes to the 911 dispatch center.

Or, you can buy an earlier Gen3 for $135 on Amaxon and sign up for month to month service.

I was on a Montana search team and there’s no comparison when we got a call from dispatch “my boyfriend/ husband/father is 3 days overdue he was hunting somewhere east of Nowhere” and getting a dispatch with date/time/lat/long and a message saying it’s a 60 year old guy taking blood thinners.

I have a code with my wife, snd it’s in the emails and texts she receives.

I’m OK
              - 1st time means I’ve arrived at beginning of hunt
              - Successive mean I’m OK

Communication
              - First time means I’m heading out
              - Successive mean add 2 hours to my ETA for each message
              - I send an I’m OK when I get back to my truck

I’m in trouble
              - First check on the map my truck may be broken down in a non cell area
              - If I’m in the forest, I have trouble not emergency/ contact our son

Help
              - I have my medical history, type of gear I carry (can I survive a cold overnight?) my truck and side by side descriptions and license plate numbers.

Remember- SAR teams are dedicated volunteers organized under the county Sheriff Department.

Comment

I am about to buckle down and start getting everything lined out. 37 days out for me. Starting to get bow dialed and and gear together. Cutting out all alcohol for the next month. Gonna ramp up my training for the next 30 days and then taper off the last 7.

Comment

I stumbled on a pretty cool free utility to help with pack lists and weights, thought I'd share for some of yall who haven't seen this before. You can make different lists for different hunts/packs or whatever and even attach photos of items and of course all their weights and such to compare. You can also export to a standard CSV file.

Comment

Anyone use sock liners under your hiking socks? It was mentioned on an elk hunt video on youtube and it got me thinking. The guy says he sweats alot and it kept him from getting blisters.

Comment

Sock liners (silk or synthetic) under quality smart wool socks do work. Add a little foot powder helps too.

Never wear cotton athletic socks. When you sweat they turn into a wet mess rubbing your feet to blisters.

If you’re worried about heel blisters, wrap a full piece of moleskin on your foot before the first day.

Yeah, yeah better boots….. proper fit….. break-in should eliminate blisters. They make a challenging hunt miserable.

Comment

Sock liners (silk or synthetic) under quality smart wool socks do work. Add a little foot powder helps too.

Never wear cotton athletic socks. When you sweat they turn into a wet mess rubbing your feet to blisters.

If you’re worried about heel blisters, wrap a full piece of moleskin on your foot before the first day.

Yeah, yeah better boots….. proper fit….. break-in should eliminate blisters. They make a challenging hunt miserable.

I have never had blisters in the past. However even tho I don’t normally get blisters I still tape my heels and my big toes up with Leuko tape at the beginning of the hunt

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
                          I have never had blisters in the past. However even tho I don’t normally get blisters I still tape my heels and my big toes up with Leuko tape at the beginning of the hunt

Luekotape is the bomb! Just pop some on when you feel a hot spot. IMO way better than moleskin. I also have it to make bandages along with a roll of gauze, instead of packing a whole bunch of bandaids and gauze pads. Thankfully, I haven’t had to use it in that capacity.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'm getting ready for an elk hunt next month and trying to prepare. I'll probably buy some Sock liners just in case and going to look into the leuko tape as well.

Comment

The Elk Thread

First report of a griz attack I’ve seen in SW Montana. I’ve gotten 2 reports from locals who have seen them in the national forest < 10 miles from us.

There’s a fear this might be a bad archery season with griz. The SAR team did a multi-agency training mission in July with multiple simulated mauled hunters to get everybody coordinated and reduce response times.

Awareness- read all about their behavior and how to stay away from them.

Defense- 2 cans bear spray. One stored right in front on belt (you don’t have time to get it if back on your hip or a pocket in pack). Second in pack for getting out after you dump the first one. Handgun backup. 10mm, 44 mag, 454 Casul are what locals carry. Buffalo Bore hard cast ammo.

Emergency satellite communications. Forget cell service in most places. Spot 1-way messenger or InReach 2-way

Know where and how to get yourself to the nearest ER.

Hunt hard-be safe. God bless.

Spray on left front of my Kuiu hunting pack. Pistol on right side. I like the Serpa holster but the end is open and when I take off pack the gun’s barrel is in the dirt. Another repair job with (camo) duct tape to close off the opening.

Last edited by Bill; 08-12-2021, 08:12 AM.

Comment

First report of a griz attack I’ve seen in SW Montana. I’ve gotten 2 reports from locals who have seen them in the national forest < 10 miles from us.

There’s a fear this might be a bad archery season with griz. The SAR team did a multi-agency training mission in July with multiple simulated mauled hunters to get everybody coordinated and reduce response times.

Awareness- read all about their behavior and how to stay away from them.

Defense- 2 cans bear spray. One stored right in front on belt (you don’t have time to get it if back on your hip or a pocket in pack). Second in pack for getting out after you dump the first one. Handgun backup. 10mm, 44 mag, 454 Casul are what locals carry. Buffalo Bore hard cast ammo.

Emergency satellite communications. Forget cell service in most places. Spot 1-way messenger or InReach 2-way

Know where and how to get yourself to the nearest ER.

Hunt hard-be safe. God bless.

Spray on left front of my Kuiu hunting pack. Pistol on right side. I like the Serpa holster but the end is open and when I take off pack the gun’s barrel is in the dirt. Another repair job with (camo) duct tape to close off the opening.

Hey Mr. Bill, I thought I read about a lady getting killed in July up there somewhere also.

Hope those bears get a little lesson in manners in the near future. It’s crazy to me that they have closed trail heads into PUBLIC LAND because they have problem bears that they can’t do anything about.

Comment

Working...
                                X