The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aaronwragg View Post
    Would you all recommend purchasing online elk hunting classes? and if so, which ones?

What are you looking to learn?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by whitetailslayer View Post
      Thank you for the great insight! I'll reach out to the DNR for additional verification. I should have stated that it does partially connect to BLM so not truly locked.
      Also, Bill you're on point. Nothing beats a handwritten letter.

Thanks again guys.

Edit:
      For those that use the OnX map ( I'm new to the app), I'm assuming the greenish yellow shaded areas illustrate what is considered public or legal to hunt, however the area that I mentioned, is shaded the bluish tint. Is there a legend that states these different layers and their meanings?

Its a big deal in Idaho. Ranchers keep "public" roads locked and charge big $ to access public land through their private property. I have a good buddy that used to live up there and his uncle still does and they have had ranchers chase them down at gunpoint making sure they had permission to be there...

Comment

Following

Comment

For those who are hunting areas affected by the drought. Has anyone talked with a Biologist. I am assuming the game managers would like to see all hands on deck filling a tag with whatever you can to reduce the herd before winter. I am just guessing though. I am way behind on my conditioning this year and was thinking sending my tag back but on second thought I am thinking we need to do what we can this year.

Comment

I’m in Montana and I’ve not read anything like that. Stage 2 fire restrictions are in place, there’s springs and lots of green grass in the mountains.

Comment

Thanks Bill, I am glad to hear there is still plenty of water and grass there. This year I was going for something new and got a second choice tag in far west Colorado. Units are mainly canyon lands and not getting a lot of monsoon help yet after a devastating fire season last year. I will take a scouting trip the week after next to look things over. I have not missed a season in over a decade.

Comment

The Elk Thread

The elk herds will move to find food source, water and safety. But that’s nothing new.

Scout burn areas. Once the new growth starts, animals move back into those areas.

If you hunt near old ash, it’s murder on leather hunting boots. There’s a product called Bick LP which waterproofs, but was developed by a fire fighter to solve the caustic ash damage to his leather equipment.

I use it on my Kennetreks, and on the outside of my pistola holsters. Takes a couple days to really soak in. Good stuff.

Last edited by Bill; 08-03-2021, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Monsoon is ripping right now in parts of Colorado and Wyoming.
                  Big rains last few days and watch out for road closures going up to scout your areas.
                  Mud slides are keeping I-70 in Colorado a mess and closed with a long detour.

If you're in the mountains right now, or headed up soon, watch for flash flooding and lightning.

Comment

We had it come thru SW Montana yesterday. I’m glad I was watching it through the living room window and not on the road or in the mountains.

Comment

Saw this question on FB: What's the legal protocol for bringing an elk head back from CO, thru NM then to Texas? Does it have to have all the brain and spinal fluids removed?

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                        Saw this question on FB: What's the legal protocol for bringing an elk head back from CO, thru NM then to Texas? Does it have to have all the brain and spinal fluids removed?
                        Looks like skullcap, but apparently there's a waiver for a whole head.

From TPWD..

No CWD-susceptible species carcasses or parts of carcasses can enter Texas from a state or country known to have CWD, and no CWD-susceptible species carcasses or parts of carcasses can be transported out of a CWD Zone EXCEPT:

Cut quarters with all brain and spinal cord tissue removed
                        Boned meat/cut and wrapped — Texas regulations do not allow processing beyond quarters until reaching your final destination (possessor’s personal residence or commercial facility/private cold storage).
                        Caped hides with skull not attached
                        Skull plate with antlers attached and cleaned of all soft tissue
                        Finished taxidermy products
                        The skinned or unskinned head of a susceptible species may be transported to a taxidermist (with a Deer Head Waiver), provided all brain material, soft tissue, spinal column and any unused portions of the head are disposed of in a landfill in Texas permitted by the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ). The waiver should be kept on your person or with the deer head until it reaches the taxidermist. Download the Deer Head Waiver form (PWD 1410) to transport the intact head or obtain from a TPWD CWD check station.
                        Hunters bringing intact deer heads into Texas from a state or country with CWD should also have this waiver.

Comment

Originally posted by SamSowell View Post
                          Looks like skullcap, but apparently there's a waiver for a whole head.

From TPWD..

No CWD-susceptible species carcasses or parts of carcasses can enter Texas from a state or country known to have CWD, and no CWD-susceptible species carcasses or parts of carcasses can be transported out of a CWD Zone EXCEPT:

Cut quarters with all brain and spinal cord tissue removed
                          Boned meat/cut and wrapped — Texas regulations do not allow processing beyond quarters until reaching your final destination (possessor’s personal residence or commercial facility/private cold storage).
                          Caped hides with skull not attached
                          Skull plate with antlers attached and cleaned of all soft tissue
                          Finished taxidermy products
                          The skinned or unskinned head of a susceptible species may be transported to a taxidermist (with a Deer Head Waiver), provided all brain material, soft tissue, spinal column and any unused portions of the head are disposed of in a landfill in Texas permitted by the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ). The waiver should be kept on your person or with the deer head until it reaches the taxidermist. Download the Deer Head Waiver form (PWD 1410) to transport the intact head or obtain from a TPWD CWD check station.
                          Hunters bringing intact deer heads into Texas from a state or country with CWD should also have this waiver.
                          Thanks! Still need to find the NM rules.

Comment

Thanks! Still need to find the NM rules.
                            Hunters within unit 19 and 28 are supposed to submit kills for sampling.
                            Mostly written, not really enforced. They have been studying since the 90’s I don’t think they’re is much worry about transmission from elk, deer, moose to humans.

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
                              Hunters within unit 19 and 28 are supposed to submit kills for sampling.
                              Mostly written, not really enforced. They have been studying since the 90’s I don’t think they’re is much worry about transmission from elk, deer, moose to humans.
                              Thanks, do you know about bringing carcass's into NM from other states? Traveling thru in route to Texas?

Comment

Thanks, do you know about bringing carcass's into NM from other states? Traveling thru in route to Texas?
                                Never heard of anything like that going on.

Comment

Working...
                                X