No announcement yet.

LEO Question : Legal or illegal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So dude said he’d been “retired” for 38 years? In the absolute best circumstances I can think of that makes the guy at least 76 years old. I’m not sure on the legality of claiming to be retired LEO but I’m sure something was illegal about his blocking a vehicle.

Comment

I was never a LEO but was in Seal Team 5. I do not believe he can stop a vehicle. A vehicle is thousands of pounds and can run over him. He would be hurt or dead. Or dyin...

I'm quoting law from my Seal training from during the 8 years I was with the Easter Seals. "No one beats a car or truck". "Especially no walker"!! Period

Comment

He can claim to be retired LEO all he wants. No harm in that. Doesn't give him the right to detain you for any reason. He would have a hard time detaining me without me calling the cops on him.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
          A lot of officers that quit, get fired, or didn't make the cut and were asked to leave or be fired like to tell people that they "retired from law enforcement".

[emoji38][emoji38] you nailed it Bobby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

In the next year or two I will retire and I bet unless someone looks me up when I move they will not know what I retired from. With the internet these days it is going to be hard because just looking my name up it has plenty of hits.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
              In the next year or two I will retire and I bet unless someone looks me up when I move they will not know what I retired from. With the internet these days it is going to be hard because just looking my name up it has plenty of hits.
              Retire from law enforcement........ is that really possible?

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                So does mine. But it was from those wild college years and I needed the money. I can live with that

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post
                  So, it looks like my original question has gotten off topic. That was not my intent and I dont want the bashing to start.Just want to know if it is illegal for a person to impersonate a retired LEO.

Q: Are you law enforcement?
                  A : Yes. Well, I am a retired police officer with ______ PD. I have been retired for 38 years.
                  Q: Can I leave?
                  A: No (as he moves in front of vehicle and impedes the progress of said vehicle. Continues to stand in front of vehicle and will not let person drive away).

("Retired" LEO moves to the side and when person gets back in vehicle to leave, retired LEO moves back in front of vehicle, impeding the person from leaving)

Legal or illegal on the part of the "retired" LEO?

Sounds like Unlawful Restraint to me.

Comment

Why was he not wanting you to leave wherever you were at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

When he said he was retired I would have left when I wanted to

Unless you were involved in an accident I can't think of any reason any old goat can make me do anything I don't want to

Comment

Originally posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post
                        So, it looks like my original question has gotten off topic. That was not my intent and I dont want the bashing to start.Just want to know if it is illegal for a person to impersonate a retired LEO.

Q: Are you law enforcement?
                        A : Yes. Well, I am a retired police officer with ______ PD. I have been retired for 38 years.
                        Q: Can I leave?
                        A: No (as he moves in front of vehicle and impedes the progress of said vehicle. Continues to stand in front of vehicle and will not let person drive away).

("Retired" LEO moves to the side and when person gets back in vehicle to leave, retired LEO moves back in front of vehicle, impeding the person from leaving)

Legal or illegal on the part of the "retired" LEO?
                        Too many "what ifs".

Yes.

No.

Anyone, in very limited situations, has detention or arrest authority... but very limited.

Comment

Originally posted by AJhunter91 View Post
                          Sounds like Unlawful Restraint to me.
                          Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                          When he said he was retired I would have left when I wanted to

Unless you were involved in an accident I can't think of any reason any old goat can make me do anything I don't want to
                          If someone in Texas witnesses either a felony or someone’s safety being put in danger, they can make a citizen’s arrest. If they are wrong about that alleged crime then they could be held liable for false imprisonment.

I don’t think the retired Leo has any additional authority than any other citizen in this instance.

Comment

Working...
                          X