LEO Question : Legal or illegal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LEO Question : Legal or illegal

Straight to the point. Is it legal for a citizen to present themselves as a LEO? Is it legal for a citizen to present themselves as a retired LEO and say that they have been retired for so many years and that they worked at a certain police department? I am pretty sure that I know the answer to the first question but I dont know about the answer to the 2nd question. Yes, I know about GOOGLE and looking it up in the Penal Code, but was looking for a quick response. Thanks.

No idea, but you could always do this.
    Attached Files

Comment

Don’t think there is stolen valor for retired or former Leo’s. Representing yourself as a current leo is against the law though. PC 37.12

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It is clearly against the law for a citizen to impersonate a peace officer. 37.11 Penal Code Impersonating a Public Servant is a 3rd degree felony. As far as retired peace officers, they are allowed certain peace officer authority but they have to keep up to date on some training and firearms qualifications. They will be issued a retired peace officer ID card.

Comment

Was the person using this to obtain anything that is LEO privileged? People claim to be all sorts of things, go by any academy gun bar, shooting range, or gun show.

Comment

Originally posted by JCSO9530 View Post
            It is clearly against the law for a citizen to impersonate a peace officer. 37.11 Penal Code Impersonating a Public Servant is a 3rd degree felony. As far as retired peace officers, they are allowed certain peace officer authority but they have to keep up to date on some training and firearms qualifications. They will be issued a retired peace officer ID card.
            But is it illegal for them to impersonate a retired LEO.

Originally posted by coy-ote View Post
            Was the person using this to obtain anything that is LEO privileged? People claim to be all sorts of things, go by any academy gun bar, shooting range, or gun show.

Yes. They were using it as "authority" in a situation.

Comment

We retired LEO’s have no more powers of arrest than the normal citizen, only a better understanding of the law. We do conceal carry if we qualify and carry the appropriate ID. That being said lots of gray area when it comes to 30:06 with retirees since we fall under LEOSA. Lots of what if and stuff!!

Comment

Originally posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post
                But is it illegal for them to impersonate a retired LEO.

Yes. They were using it as "authority" in a situation.
                What was the authority? Need more info for an answer

Comment

The answer to 1. It's illegal. I was told that by a police officer

Comment

Originally posted by coy-ote View Post

LEO privilege? Only thing I get is to pay my taxes and a $400 glock every year or two. Sound to me like the dumb a referred to is by the OP is just that.

Comment

Lots of places give first responders (and retirees) discounts on stuff like your Glock some other gun manufacturers and shooting supplies, I even get my costas at a substantial Leo discount cause they ask at check out when I say I’m retired they ask if I had ID I show it to them and I’m good to go. Even in San Diego California at the USS Midway the person selling out tickets saw my wife badge pendant and asked if I or my wife were Leo’s I said no I’m retired he asked if I had proof I said yes and showed him my id/badge and he let me in at a discount.

Comment

Schlitterbahn is having first responder discount this week, great wolf lodge also has a Leo discount advertised on their website just FYI for my brothers in blue

Comment

So, what specifically did this person do, and we could better answer your question.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRanger View Post
                            What was the authority? Need more info for an answer
                            Get off my Lawn...

Comment

So, it looks like my original question has gotten off topic. That was not my intent and I dont want the bashing to start.Just want to know if it is illegal for a person to impersonate a retired LEO.

Q: Are you law enforcement?
                              A : Yes. Well, I am a retired police officer with ______ PD. I have been retired for 38 years.
                              Q: Can I leave?
                              A: No (as he moves in front of vehicle and impedes the progress of said vehicle. Continues to stand in front of vehicle and will not let person drive away).

("Retired" LEO moves to the side and when person gets back in vehicle to leave, retired LEO moves back in front of vehicle, impeding the person from leaving)

Legal or illegal on the part of the "retired" LEO?
                              Last edited by COACH_EM_UP; 05-30-2019, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X