Best Time to BOWHUNT Africa??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rladner View Post
    Yes, my first trip was late May. Like mentioned, greener in May. Supplemental feeding hadn't begun yet because there was plenty of green left for the animals to eat, but they still need to drink. Had plenty of success. Also, late May, early June is the rut for several species like Kudu and Impala so that is a good experience. When I went in May I went for a 7 day and killed 6 animals. Gemsbok, Kudu, Impala, Wildebeest and 2 Warthogs. The only one on my list I didn't get was a Zebra, but they are difficult with a bow. I bowhunt only. I hunt with Limcroma so they are very good about getting your opportunities, no matter what time of year.
    Do you still seem to see plenty of animals?

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Spies View Post
      Do you still seem to see plenty of animals?
      Yes, I saw plenty more than I shot. Depending on the exact dates, that is right about when they start the supplemental feeding, it will depend on the property you are hunting. You will have plenty of rutting activity, animals coming to water and some spots feed will be out as well. The animals are there, that won't be a problem. You'll want to get out of the blind from time to time as well and do some spot and stalk. The main draw for the animals is water and that is the start of the dry season so they will be moving plenty to get water. You'll be fine. Lots of time the early season will produce more animals simply because most properties have a quota on the number of animals they will allow to be taken. The earlier in the season the less likely that quota will be filled. I've hunted a few properties that said everything was good to hunt except a Kudu (or whatever) because they've already taken too many off the property this season. Of course, the first thing you'll see is a really nice Kudu (or whatever ). The early season everything is still pretty wide open. I like it, just have a hard time going while the kids are still in school. Easier to ship them off to relatives during the summer.

Comment

Yes, I saw plenty more than I shot. Depending on the exact dates, that is right about when they start the supplemental feeding, it will depend on the property you are hunting. You will have plenty of rutting activity, animals coming to water and some spots feed will be out as well. The animals are there, that won't be a problem. You'll want to get out of the blind from time to time as well and do some spot and stalk. The main draw for the animals is water and that is the start of the dry season so they will be moving plenty to get water. You'll be fine. Lots of time the early season will produce more animals simply because most properties have a quota on the number of animals they will allow to be taken. The earlier in the season the less likely that quota will be filled. I've hunted a few properties that said everything was good to hunt except a Kudu (or whatever) because they've already taken too many off the property this season. Of course, the first thing you'll see is a really nice Kudu (or whatever ). The early season everything is still pretty wide open. I like it, just have a hard time going while the kids are still in school. Easier to ship them off to relatives during the summer.
        That’s the kind of first hand experience I was looking for. Thanks!

Comment

No matter when you go, a good outfitter will get you on the animals. Just as importantly, you need a good PH. The good outfitters will run a good operation, have access to prime property and really show you a good time. The PH is the one who will affect your hunting the most. Hopefully you have a really good/experienced PH

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

No matter when you go, a good outfitter will get you on the animals. Just as importantly, you need a good PH. The good outfitters will run a good operation, have access to prime property and really show you a good time. The PH is the one who will affect your hunting the most. Hopefully you have a really good/experienced PH

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
            I organized the trip. Plan is for me to sit with the outfitter.

Comment

I have been twice. First trip was early July second mid August. Both trips were incredible, but I have to say the amount of game moving in mid August blew my mind. I really think it had more to do with the dry conditions than the time of year. Either way, because of how good our PH was, on both trips we were more constrained by budget than opportunity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Anyone archery hunted late May with good success?
                I went this past May. Got all the animals I intended... but it was slower than normal due to rain and it was cooler(I think) than expected.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by r_u_sharp_2 View Post
                  I went this past May. Got all the animals I intended... but it was slower than normal due to rain and it was cooler(I think) than expected.

What part of the month did you go?

Comment

I went in early September and we were covered with animals every day.

Comment

What part of the month did you go?
                      We left on the 13th.. started hunting the 15th. We planned it for the dark of the moon cycle.
                      Matt

Comment

bucketlist for me.

Comment

We are going with Matsuri dark of the moon(last week of June/First week of July this summer).

Comment

July.

Comment

August

Comment

Originally posted by Stolle View Post
                                We are going with Matsuri dark of the moon(last week of June/First week of July this summer).
                                I could do the last week of June but not the first of July. Good luck to you guys!

Comment

Working...
                                X