Finally got to hunt Old Mexico

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally got to hunt Old Mexico

I’ve wanted to hunt Old Mexico every since I’ve watched Michael Waddell hunt there years ago! For some reason I just thought that would be so cool to cross the Rio Grande with my Mathews bow to try to kill a wide Mexico buck. Well years have passed and I’ve gotten older and my dream looked to probably never happen. As I’ve gotten older I’ve realized that if I want to do something I can either choose to do it or choose not to do it.

Well as I was looking through the Classfieds on TBH, which is a daily adventure I came across a Management Buck hunt in Mexico! I couldn’t open the ad fast enough to read the details. I read the ad and thought well his management practices are reasonable and honestly his top end management bucks are trophies to me! So I PM’ed Drop Dead Fred aka Corey. I thought dang I think I’ve bought something from him before and sure enough I had two great transactions with him in the past. After several phone calls about the hunt and numerous questions I bought the management tag in May! I was excited to say the least and ready to go! Corey would send me pictures of management bucks along the way and we stayed in touch.

On to the hunt.....of course I live in Sulphur Springs about as for as you can get from Mexico! I start my trek to meet Corey at his house. He was so nice to let me crash at his house the night before we left. I think because he wanted to leave at 4:00 a.m. All of this is new to me about crossing the border and getting back. I asked him numerous questions. We get across the border and we get to the ranch. We arrive in plenty of time to get all settled in and hunt that afternoon.

The first afternoon there is deer everywhere! I didn’t see any of the hitlist bucks but plenty of deer. No worries we are here to hunt a week!! Next morning same thing. Corey says after breakfast I found a great spot for you to put your double bull. So we went and setup the blind and I just stayed and hunted. We were after this buck that is wide mature 10pt. Well the buck comes in but I don’t get a shot at him!! It’s been happening to me all season!! One close encounter after another but no shot. But again I think no worries we are here for a week. Next afternoon the 10pt comes back in, I need him to take two more steps(he is at 14yds) but one of the other lease member comes and picks me up 25 minutes before shooting light is over. I’m speechless but just laugh it off and think it’s just more to the story! He apologizes numerous times and says that the deer don’t move that late😳😳 I tell him no worries. Of course next morning you know where I’m at....right back in that blind!! About 8:15 after getting covered up in 25+ deer n bow range I think I can’t wait for this afternoon’s hunt. I look down the rd and their is the buck. He works his way in and a few does get closer to him. At that point he realizes the does are more fun than the corn. He pushes them around and another 5.5yr buck snort wheezes at him. He clears the big cactus offering every bowhunter a dream broadside shot at 14yds! The Rage zips through him and off he goes, which wasn’t far! My dream hunt had just unfolded in front of my eyes! I set in the blind and just soaked it in....I’m in another country met a guy off the internet spent the night at his house and I’m in the middle of nowhere!! This is just awesome I couldn’t have dreamed my hunt would be this good! After I set there for a little while I texted Corey I’d killed the wide 10pt(aka 2 step, the lease member called him that after he scared him off&#128514. Corey came over immediately and we took up the track which last about 50yds.

My story has gotten long so I’ll make it quick I ended up taking a few javelins and killed one more cull buck that Corey needed off the protein bill!

I’m one take chances and roll the dice on hunting! I’ve never hunted in another country and for sure can’t Spanish. So I was really relying on Corey that this hunt was going to be everything I expected it to be! Well Corey went above and beyond I can’t say enough good things about him! TBH has some great people on it and I found another one with Corey. I almost forgot but I also got to meet and hunt with another great guy off TBH, Shane aka The Gas Man. Shane killed a really nice buck as well on the hunt!

My Mexico hunt was absolutely amazing and honestly it was easy and very safe. I can’t wait go back! My pictures are in no order:
    Attached Files

Great write-up. I want to go on one of these hunts before I kick the bucket.

Comment

Sounds like an adventure !

Comment

Awesome, sounds amazing, congrats!

Comment

outstanding. well done. When we hunted Mexico, it always felt like we went back in time about a 100 years. Just slows down over there.

Comment

What a great experience. Congrats on all the kills !!

Comment

Great write up brother! Glad you had a successful and relaxing hunt. Now get on home, folks are missing ya ‘round here!

Comment

Great write up and experience. I hunted Mexico years ago for 3 seasons and absolutely loved it!! Congrats!!!

Comment

Congrats brother!! It was obviously a grand time in the Mexico brush! I was hanging on every text! Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

You ruined now

Great buck!

Comment

Congrats

Comment

One of these days. Big Congrats!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Good deal! Nothing like it is there?

Comment

Great story. I love hunting down there, nothing else like it.

Comment

Working...
                              X