Just got two awesome books in to read!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got two awesome books in to read!

Watched Midway the other day (still like the original better) and decided I wanted to try and find a book to read about the pacific war and stumbled across this one. Written by Admiral Layton himself! Gonna be a great read!

Grabbed this one to read as well. Figured with the way things are headed, I just as well get a start with studying the history of it! Lololol

I’m sure it will be a great read as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started Shirer's book, but never finished it. That's one for my to do list. Gonna have to check out the other one as well.

Comment

Both great books. Before he wrote “The Rise and Fall”, Shirer wrote “Berlin Diary” which is a chronicle of the years he and his family spent in Berlin in the mid-30’s. He was a correspondent there for CBS. That book was published in 1941, 6 months before the Nazis declared war on the US. It is really interesting - he saw it coming, the direction Hitler and Nazism was headed. It is a good cautionary tale about how a sophisticated and educated country can become an evil empire. I have a first edition printed in 1941 that belonged to my wife’s grandfather.

Comment

Awesome scores!

I want to find a good hardback copy of the first one, that doesn’t cost more than a truck payment lmao. Also been wanting a copy of the 2nd book for a while and this post reminded me that I need it so just put one on order.

Looking forward to it and glad you posted DD. I’ve been so busy over the past several years (yes, years) I had forgotten about them.

Comment

Rise and Fall is sitting on my bookshelf. It’s been a lot of years since I’ve read it. I inherited it from my father.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
            Both great books. Before he wrote “The Rise and Fall”, Shirer wrote “Berlin Diary” which is a chronicle of the years he and his family spent in Berlin in the mid-30’s. He was a correspondent there for CBS. That book was published in 1941, 6 months before the Nazis declared war on the US. It is really interesting - he saw it coming, the direction Hitler and Nazism was headed. It is a good cautionary tale about how a sophisticated and educated country can become an evil empire. I have a first edition printed in 1941 that belonged to my wife’s grandfather.

Wow. That’s an awesome book to have. Hold on to it!

Comment

Originally posted by Twist View Post
              Awesome scores!

I want to find a good hardback copy of the first one, that doesn’t cost more than a truck payment lmao. Also been wanting a copy of the 2nd book for a while and this post reminded me that I need it so just put one on order.

Looking forward to it and glad you posted DD. I’ve been so busy over the past several years (yes, years) I had forgotten about them.

I scored the first book off eBay for $110. Yeah, it’s pricey. But it’s in really good shape. Has some spots where the binding is coming apart between pages. But I wasn’t gonna pay 200-300 bucks for it. That’s serious cash. Tell ya what though, when I took it out of the box and took the bubble wrap off, I got taken back into time to when I was a kid in a library. I haven’t encountered that smell of old books in a very long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Twist View Post
                Awesome scores!

Comment

Maybe I’ll have the binding repaired before reading it. It’s only a few spots. That was the worst spot. I’m dying to read it. Lol

Comment

Wow, just checked on amazon just to see if Layton's book was available? It is but it's not for my budget! Cheapest was $820 and highest was $950!!

I'd have to take out an insurance policy just to cover either of them if I was lucky enough to have a friend that would loan them to me, lol. I've got a substantial collection of military books and love the reads. I'm jealous, lol!!

Comment

Book update!!!

Just dropped off the WWII book to have the binding redone. They are going to stitch it and re bind it. Apparently, glue doesn’t hold up well over time. Lol. Seller offered to give me a partial refund since he/she wasn’t aware of the issues. Should have it back in 4-6 weeks and better than new. Can’t wait to read it. I think it will be an even more exciting time letting my children read it years from now!

Comment

Pulled my copy of Rise and Fall off the bookshelf. It says 1960 on it, which is the year it was first published but shows to be from the 14th printing.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
                          Pulled my copy of Rise and Fall off the bookshelf. It says 1960 on it, which is the year it was first published but shows to be from the 14th printing.

Hmmm.. don’t get me to lying. I’m not book expert at all.

Comment

Working...
                          X