Summer Showcase Baseball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by speck1 View Post
    Just got home from the Pudge Rodriguez World Series in Melissa. Impressive group of 2023 teams. College coaches were packed in there every day. Back to Tomball next weekend. Ready for September 1st so we can go see some schools and get this over with.

How did y’all end up doing there? We were asked to move to another tournament based on the results of our first tournament of the season [emoji23]. Looked like some good baseball played from what I have seen and heard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

7s- hard to get seen in High School. College season is running at same time. If you are top 6’06” throwing mid 90s sure you will get seen. Most kids gotta get seen by next level coaches during Summer

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
        7s- hard to get seen in High School. College season is running at same time. If you are top 6’06” throwing mid 90s sure you will get seen. Most kids gotta get seen by next level coaches during Summer
        Don't colleges have scouts?

Comment

Originally posted by c3products20 View Post
          Don't colleges have scouts?
          In my experience colleges have 3-5 coaches one or more of which may handle most of the recruiting. Glen is correct most college recruiting takes place during the summer. College coaches will be busy at their own games during the spring and may catch a high school game if they are playing in the same city as a high school kid they are recruiting. My son played high school ball on a very good 6A team in one of the toughest districts in the state and in those four years i can count on one hand how many college coaches were at any of the games.
          Last edited by HFD38; 06-18-2021, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HFD38 View Post
            Glen is correct most college recruiting takes place during the summer. College coaches will be busy at their own games, they may catch a high school game if they are playing in the same city as a high school kid they are recruiting. My son played high school ball on a very good 6A team in one of the toughest districts in the state and in those four years i can count on one hand how many college coaches were at any of the games.
            I played with and against a few guys that are or were in the bigs and the stands were crowded with scouts and radar guns in summer and during season.

Comment

Originally posted by HFD38 View Post
              In my experience colleges have 3-5 coaches one or more of which may handle most of the recruiting they don't call them scouts. Glen is correct most college recruiting takes place during the summer. College coaches will be busy at their own games during the spring and may catch a high school game if they are playing in the same city as a high school kid they are recruiting. My son played high school ball on a very good 6A team in one of the toughest districts in the state and in those four years i can count on one hand how many college coaches were at any of the games.
              Not saying your wrong just my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by c3products20 View Post
                Not saying your wrong just my experience.

Comment

College use their assistant coaches and pitching coach as a scout. Head coach takes off. Scouts you see during High School games are usually paid scouts (professional team paid). These guys often have college programs they also talk to when they see a kid that projects but not high enough for draft now but maybe in future.

The bigger the tournament facility the better for a college coach. If they can goto a complex with 8 games going thats even better. Atlanta for example. They can go in and watch 8 teams at a time with just a little walking and all the graduating age they are in need of

If a HS kid is mid 90s throwing from the left side he is gonna pack the stands on Christmas eve with scouts if he is scheduled to be on the bump
                  Last edited by glen; 06-18-2021, 12:10 PM.

Comment

NCAA did not open up recruiting until June 1st of this year. All scouting this past spring was done by video. There were no college coaches in the stands unless they had a kid on the team. They are in full press mode right now to get out and see these kids in person. My son had multiple offers just off of video. Several of those coaches came to watch him play this week. It’s hard to believe they would offer without seeing them play in person but that’s the way it was for the last year. The summer is absolutely where the majority of recruiting takes place. I saw 50+ college coaches at the Pudge this week. The area code tryouts in Waco Wednesday were loaded with MLB scouts and college coaches. They concentrate their effort where they can see the most players at one time.

Comment

NCAA did not open up recruiting until June 1st of this year. All scouting this past spring was done by video. There were no college coaches in the stands unless they had a kid on the team. They are in full press mode right now to get out and see these kids in person. My son had multiple offers just off of video. Several of those coaches came to watch him play this week. It’s hard to believe they would offer without seeing them play in person but that’s the way it was for the last year. The summer is absolutely where the majority of recruiting takes place. I saw 50+ college coaches at the Pudge this week. The area code tryouts in Waco Wednesday were loaded with MLB scouts and college coaches. They concentrate their effort where they can see the most players at one time.
                      We were at the Pudge classic- it was a great tournament- and I’ll double what he said on full court press right now as they were just allowed to get back out due to COVID. A LOT of very good teams with upper 80’s arms already commited we’re playing consolation games yesterday. The guys we faced last night on the mound were Stanford and Rice commits playing in a consolation game….. who were you with?

Comment

We will have to agree to disagree, if your good and you are putting up the numbers they will find you. They were scouts at every one of my sons games starting from the time he was on JV. Not all looking at him because we have several good players but they do some. They also read the paper and know what team has what.

Comment

Without a doubt. If your an arm throwing over 92-93 in HS they will find you. Kids that will make D-1 squads first year they will usually find. D-2, D-3, Juco guys not so much. Point is not many college coaches will be able to attend HS games.

Comment

Without a doubt. If your an arm throwing over 92-93 in HS they will find you. Kids that will make D-1 squads first year they will usually find. D-2, D-3, Juco guys not so much. Point is not many college coaches will be able to attend HS games.
                            I couldn’t agree with Glen more, the top percentage of kids will always be found regardless…..

It is all of the mid range guys who more or less have to help recruit themselves and find the right fit.

7’s dad this is my 18th summer coaching select ball and I coached high school and college ball for a decade, I have an incredibly hard time believing you had scouts at your JV high school games with any sort of regularity- I know first hand there just flat out isn’t enough time for that to be a reality. And if you had those dudes that deserved to be scouted at that age what kind of school was he at where they weren’t on varsity……

I did not mean for that to come across in a disrespectful rude way….. so I apologize if it did.
                            Last edited by em12; 06-18-2021, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by em12 View Post
                              We were at the Pudge classic- it was a great tournament- and I’ll double what he said on full court press right now as they were just allowed to get back out due to COVID. A LOT of very good teams with upper 80’s arms already commited we’re playing consolation games yesterday. The guys we faced last night on the mound were Stanford and Rice commits playing in a consolation game….. who were you with?
                              TEST baseball 2023. We lost a heartbreaker in a 9 inning tiebreaker yesterday. We had it won and would have had a bye into the semi on our side. Went 2 and 2. Both losses were by one run. What team were you with?

Comment

TEST baseball 2023. We lost a heartbreaker in a 9 inning tiebreaker yesterday. We had it won and would have had a bye into the semi on our side. Went 2 and 2. Both losses were by one run. What team were you with?

Looks like y’all lost a close one to ubc Reyes. I know Rico and a bunch of those boys. My son plays for ubc Tompkins.

Comment

Working...
                                X