No announcement yet.

Lt Governor? who and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wouldn't the primary be the time to vote republicans we don't like out of office as opposed to the general election? I understand the struggle with politicians we feel have not acted republican enough, but do we really think a democrat will do a better job promoting our beliefs? Is this not the epitome of "cutting off your nose to spite your face?"

Comment

Originally posted by bullhead44 View Post
      I cant speak on behalf of law enforcement or fire fighters, but I can speak for teachers since I have been one for 25 years. I wish our salaries and pensions were bloated. The current state base pay for a first year teacher is a little over $28000. I dont think anyone would consider that to be bloated. There hasn't been a raise in teacher pay from the state since 2015. That was a whopping $500 dollars..............
      Double that here in North Texas.....$28K is more like Oklahoma starting salary.....
      The race to attract quality educators is intensifying once again as more North Texas school districts are offering $50,000 for a starting teacher salary.Jun 27, 2015
      Starting teacher pay reaches $50,000 in many North Texas districts ...
      https://www.dallasnews.com/.../start...ny-north-texas...

Comment

Voting Red.....'cept for bush

Comment

$50k a year for someone with a college education is not bloated in my opinion. $24 an hour.
          Last edited by glen; 10-24-2018, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain39 View Post
            I will vote Mostly Red; but Dan Patrick. He helped screw the Houston and Dallas Fireman out of half their pension. He is Not a friend of the Teachers either. Their insurance has sky rocketed and no pay raises as promised; while he tries to screw them out of their pension. He is a failed buisness man and he is not from Texas. Just cause you are a Republican does not you mean have my vote.

This..... I voted all RED except him. He's not a supporter of Public Education. I'm sure he will win in a land slide but he didn't get my vote.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
              As far as pension. Most would be fine if they would be left a lone. Patrick wants to take a pension set up for one group and hand it to another group. I have paid a good portion of my salary into my pension for over 20 years. So yes it angers folks like me when a politician sitting in a leather chair makes decisions on my future when I have had blood, ****, spit from less than deaireable folks in society on my hands to earn my retirement. It is a retirement that was part of my pay and salary when I started 24 years ago.
              I think the non public servants feel the same about the piracy of the social security system.

Comment

Originally posted by JerryC View Post
                Teachers aren't the only people whose insurance has skyrocketed. Everyone under Obamacare has seen their insurance rates rise and benefits fall.

Mine and my wife's has went from $600.00 per month to over $1900.00. Insurance payments are higher than my house note. Try being self employed and have to deal what the Democrats have crammed down our throats. I'll never vote for a Democrat.
                This. Obamacare has done so much damage it is really hard to comprehend....

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
                  Sounds like a bunch of one issue voters. Sound familiar?
                  What else is there? I don't for a color I vote for who I think will do the best job.

When your livelihood is at stake you will probably change your mind.

Comment

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
                    Double that here in North Texas.....$28K is more like Oklahoma starting salary.....
                    The race to attract quality educators is intensifying once again as more North Texas school districts are offering $50,000 for a starting teacher salary.Jun 27, 2015
                    the state base is set by the legislature. It is currently $28080.00 anything above that is picked up by the local districts. That money has to come from somewhere. That is why property taxes are skyrocketing throughout the state. As a teacher and a coach, I make what I consider a decent living. My wife also teaches and coaches at the college level. Her salary is about $1000 more than mine. Together, we make enough to live comfortably and not do without when we we want something. The difference in our insurance plans is crazy though. She is considered a state employee and the state pays all her insurance. She can cover our daughter for around $200 a month. My insurance by myself through the school district in over $300 on top of the $351 dollars the school district pays. If I had to put my entire family on my plan, It would be almost $20000 a month. This has never made since to me.

Comment

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
                      Again, you do not know what you are talking about. STATE BASE PAY for a teacher, are you listening, STATE BASE PAY, is $28k for a 1st year teacher. The other portion of the salary is coming from the district, so that they can hire teachers and keep teachers. That extra money comes from the district so people will want to work there. If the districts did not offer this, schools would be so understaffed that the inmates would be running the asylum. Hell, it is like that now anyway.

Ignorant people get my blood boiling, especially when they do not know what they are talking about, yet continue to talk just to hear their own voice. When your kids or grandchildren dont have a teacher that is worth a crap or dont have enough teachers in the school to teach the subject they are certified in, then you will see and I am sure you will **** and moan to someone about how your school district sucks and they are doing it all wrong. Well, bud, here are the keys to my classroom! Have at it. I spend more time on a daily basis than you do with your own child. I interact with them, teach them, comfort them, and all the stuff that comes with being a teacher. And guess what. I absolutely enjoy it and love it. I did not get into this for the money and have thought about leaving 2 different times for MORE money. But I love what I do. That does not mean that I dont think I should be compensated appropriately for the time I put in to help and mentor YOUR KID! I work 70 hour weeks and if you think I am wrong for thinking that I should be compensated correctly for that time, then I have a few more words for you.
                      Last edited by COACH_EM_UP; 10-24-2018, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Yes, the Lt.Gov. is elected by the people. My problem is that he is the person who picks and chooses what legislation comes to a vote. His pet projects get first dibs. His schtick of driving an old truck wearing a ranch jacket with leather gloves that have never been used is "so nice". He is from Maryland, graduated college there, has been a psychiatric patient, and is lying through his teeth about property taxes. There is no state property tax, but the state does regulate to counties, and he is very heavy handed on that. Taxes will not go down with him, and funding for education will not return to levels of the past, even though the student populations continue to grow. He is nothing but a dumpster fire for Texas. If you want to vote straight ticket, that is fine. It defines you as one of the sheeple. I believe you should vote for people who best represent what your needs are and how they aim to help solve problems, not continue to enhance those problems. He is not a problem solver in my opinion, hence he did not receive my vote. He wields great power as Lt. Gov. I want him to lose that, now.

Comment

The primaries are the time to get rid of the less than desirable in your party. Like Patrick or Sessions. However too often the party supports them so much getting a candidate that can be competitive against them is near impossible so they run unopposed. When that person becomes such a liability to the people they then become a liability to the party and we end up with a democrat in office because we didn't clean up our own mess. There are several bad republicans.

Comment

Originally posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post
                            Again, you do not know what you are talking about. STATE BASE PAY for a teacher, are you listening, STATE BASE PAY, is $28k for a 1st year teacher. The other portion of the salary is coming from the district, so that they can hire teachers and keep teachers. That extra money comes from the district so people will want to work there. If the districts did not offer this, schools would be so understaffed that the inmates would be running the asylum. Hell, it is like that now anyway.

Ignorant people get my blood boiling, especially when they do not know what they are talking about, yet continue to talk just to hear their own voice. When your kids or grandchildren dont have a teacher that is worth a crap or dont have enough teachers in the school to teach the subject they are certified in, then you will see and I am sure you will **** and moan to someone about how your school district sucks and they are doing it all wrong. Well, bud, here are the keys to my classroom! Have at it.
                            I feel the same way people blindly following someone. They don't want to know the truth about education it is easier to believe all the BS that comes from politicians. It would be nice if educators actually had a say in how schools are run instead we have no choice to be run by lawyers and software engineers. No other professions exist this way. Architects and engineers don't have a medical doctor sitting on their board do they. Education is politicized there in lies the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by bullhead44 View Post
                              the state base is set by the legislature. It is currently $28080.00 anything above that is picked up by the local districts. That money has to come from somewhere. That is why property taxes are skyrocketing throughout the state. As a teacher and a coach, I make what I consider a decent living. My wife also teaches and coaches at the college level. Her salary is about $1000 more than mine. Together, we make enough to live comfortably and not do without when we we want something. The difference in our insurance plans is crazy though. She is considered a state employee and the state pays all her insurance. She can cover our daughter for around $200 a month. My insurance by myself through the school district in over $300 on top of the $351 dollars the school district pays. If I had to put my entire family on my plan, It would be almost $20000 a month. This has never made since to me.
                              High insurance premiums are not just a public sector problem.
                              Teachers pay is not bloated by any means but there's not a district in Texas that starts at state minimum. My mom is a retired teacher here in Texas and did quite well and her retirement isn't bad either. I need to ask her what she thinks about Patrick.

Comment

There's just no way I can support Mike Collier's plans for income equality, affordable health care and higher education. Somebody has to pay for that. He has a wealth distribution undertone that aint right not to mention he favors stricter gun laws.
                                The libertarian Kerry McKennon is a nut job IMO.
                                I dont care for Patrick but what the heck do you do? Dont vote for Lt. Gov? Like others said...the primaries are the place to change your parties candidate not the general election.

Comment

Working...
                                X