No announcement yet.

2019/2020 east Texas hunting thread..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was grandpa aware that junior was hunting that deer?

Comment

Apparently everyone but him was clear. Water under the bridge now

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Yep move on

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

A few years ago I had this 4 year old...maybe just three actually. Anyway he already had great mass and 14 points. Destined to be a giant. Well it was opening day of youth season and my pastor wanted to take his son. Had a bad storm that morning so they decided to wait till evening.

Meanwhile I drove to Crockett to have lunch with Quaker box bboswell. And their wives. As I was leaving the Mexican place I get a txt. Pastor and son decided to go get in one if our stands at noon. 1245 out walks the most off limits deer ever on my place. Boom he was dead. Of course they never got the talk about what to shoot. He's on a kids wall now.

Life is short... Gotta move on.

Comment

Here's a couple I killed on opening weekend. They were a big bandaid for my very unfortunate bow season that was filled with messed up opportunities on my end (I should have tagged 3 bucks in 3 counties before gun season ever came).The second is my best yet!

For the GS wardens, 2 different counties.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BW96 View Post
              Here's a couple I killed on opening weekend. They were a big bandaid for my very unfortunate bow season that was filled with messed up opportunities on my end (I should have tagged 3 bucks in 3 counties before gun season ever came).The second is my best yet!

Outstanding bucks!

Comment

I have been hunting spots on the national forest the past 2 weeks in Houston and Trinity county. I have just been going in blind picking my spots just based on aerial maps. Hopping around from Weches, Ratcliff, Kennard, Pennington, all the way to Groveton. I just thought I had Yaupon thickets where I hunt! I got skunked a few times but had a few good hunts when I was able to walk in far enough to get away from everyone. I caught a glimpse of a nice mature buck on Thanksgiving day at a spot south of Kennard but was too thick to get a shot. Hats off to all you guys that get it done in Davy Crockett. It's a different ballgame.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BW96 View Post

Real nice bucks. Congratulations!

Comment

Those are a couple of good ones bw96.
                    And stick with it EastTx. It can be some hard hunting in the National Forest, and frustrating, but so worth it. I have hunted East Texas N.F. all my life and although I can afford a lease, it just wouldn't be the same, I'm spoiled. Here are some pics of two bucks I arrowed this year. One in the Sam and one in the Davey
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Allpublic View Post
                      Those are a couple of good ones bw96.

And stick with it EastTx. It can be some hard hunting in the National Forest, and frustrating, but so worth it. I have hunted East Texas N.F. all my life and although I can afford a lease, it just wouldn't be the same, I'm spoiled. Here are some pics of two bucks I arrowed this year. One in the Sam and one in the Davey

Those are some awesome public land bucks! I just read the write up on that first one man. What a story

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks

Comment

The deer we have killed had whole acorns rolling out of them like wood ducks.
                          I hunt mostly oak bottoms and the ground is covered. Also, there are oak trees around my camp. You can hardly sleep at night with all the acorns raining down on the metal roof. Appears it will be business as usual for me. I usually see my best bucks in late December. Less pressure due to most people done with hunting come Thanksgiving. And, deer finally looking for other food sources.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                            A few years ago I had this 4 year old...maybe just three actually. Anyway he already had great mass and 14 points. Destined to be a giant. Well it was opening day of youth season and my pastor wanted to take his son. Had a bad storm that morning so they decided to wait till evening.

Meanwhile I drove to Crockett to have lunch with Quaker box bboswell. And their wives. As I was leaving the Mexican place I get a txt. Pastor and son decided to go get in one if our stands at noon. 1245 out walks the most off limits deer ever on my place. Boom he was dead. Of course they never got the talk about what to shoot. He's on a kids wall now.

Life is short... Gotta move on.
                            yeah, we need to do that again whenever Red slows down from working and piling up venison

Comment

I started a thread trying to get some help but not much advice has been offered so I'm trying here. I see some great bucks being killed in Harrison County. I hunt East of Marshall and I do not see many deer period. For you guys that hunt Harrison County or anywhere in ETX, what are ya'll doing to attract and hold these deer? There is so much stuff in so many flavors but it is all so expensive.
                              Thanks for any advice.
                              Lance

Comment

Find the acorns that the deer are hitting and hunt fresh sign on trails and the trees. If you hunt a place regularly try pelletized lime and fertilizing select trees. this has worked well for me in the past.

Comment

Working...
                                X