No announcement yet.

Weston’s first deer season!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well last weekend Drop’emChick bagged 2 bobcats!
    Attached Files

Comment

We are headed West as soon as I get off work tomorrow and get loaded up. I found a guy in Harper with reasonable prices and a nice cabin. Supposedly plenty of axis and whitetail. So the plan is to get a few axis does, and Drop’emChick and WESTON a nice mature buck each. I’m leaving my gun at home but I am packing the bow just Incase they both put nice ones down early. This thread has been short on LDPs so far so hopefully that will change this week. Weather isn’t shaping up the best unfortunately.
      Attached Files

Comment

Good luck to your Family on the hunt.

Comment

Lulling! Getting closer.

Last edited by Kurdawg; 11-27-2019, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Awesome! Good shooting Weston

Comment

Wow where to start. After Imelda and our house flooded again hunting season was up in the air this year. We were planning on booking a hunt somewhere, but that got put on hold for a while. Then we decided a last minute trip was just what we needed after everything else that happened this year. Most places we looked at were way to much money or booked. We finally found a place with reasonable rates and an opening that didn't sound over hunted. So we took a chance and booked it. The plan was to leave as soon as I got off work Wednesday and drive West, stay the night in a Hotel, and meet the Landowner Thanksgiving morning. Hunt Thursday evening thru Saturday evening and drive home Sunday. Then of course as our luck would have it TPC decided to explode Tuesday night. We moved to a house in Port Neches after the flood that is about a mile away from TPC and Huntsman. We got up realized what was going on and got out of there ASAP! Around 9am on Wednesday the wife and I decided we better run back to the house and grab our stuff incase things got worse and we couldn't get back to the house. That was a good decision because it got worse that afternoon. Melanie was only gone 30-45 minutes when the second explosion happened. We finally left town when I got off just and as they were announcing a mandatory evacuation for everyone, we laughed that we were sure glad we already had plans to leave town. We made it into Kerrville safely and managed to get a little sleep and eat a nice Breakfast Thanksgiving morning before heading to Harper. The guy was nice and so was the cabin, after showing us the place and the blinds we got unpacked and settled in. Weston and I dropped off Drop'emChick around 2pm at the blind and went back to camp for a bit before heading to a double blind around 3. The blinds were fiberglass very loud inside and the windows were taller than normal making a close shot for Weston hard even sitting on my knee with me on my tippy toes. Weston and I didn't see a single deer that hunt making me worried this place was shot up. But when we picked up Drop'emChick she had seen 11 does and a small 8. Friday morning was misting rain but we saw a few does and what looked to be a nice 8 but it was stuck behind a tree making a scrape. Friday evening the wind picked up and was blowing crazy hard making me glad I had an extra helping of ham to help weigh down the stand! Drop'emChick said the only thing that kept her stand from blowing over was the tree it was against. With the high winds I didn't expect to see anything but then things got exciting. Weston and I had changed blinds to a smaller stand but same design high windows. Almost immediately we had 2 nubbing bucks at the feeder, then a small doe came thru, then a nice little 8 came in up close and behind a cut off cedar tree between us and the feeder. Weston tried to get on him and take the shot but with how close he was and the high windows he never felt comfortable and said he couldn't see thru the scope correctly (sight picture) and the buck didn't stay around very long. I was starting to get worried. Then a big doe started walking out when the feeder went off and she was gone! About 10 minutes later another or the same doe was back at the edge of the brush, she stepped out a few steps then took off running, then Weston noticed another deer from the same trail and bam out stepped a nice buck and he took off after the doe talk about exciting. I told Weston at this point to stay on my knee holding the gun incase they came back thru and be ready. We talked about being ready and I told him we wouldn't have time to put on his earmuffs if one was moving fast just to be ready and I would cover his ears. About 10 minutes later a doe came running back thru and sure enough a good looking buck was a few minutes behind her moving at a fast walk. I said that's him buddy get ready! When the buck was straight ahead of us I grunted and covered Weston's ears and almost immediately he let the 22-250 bark. I saw what looked to be impact and the buck took off running, needless to say adrenaline was flowing. When we got down we found a great blood trail quickly. Signal was very limited on ranch but we got a few texts back and forth with Drop'emChick, it was about this time when she text me to say she just saw a mountain lion cruise past her and I immediately started kicking myself for forgetting my pistol in the truck. We followed a great blood trial about 75 yards and the blood stopped completely, it was starting to get dark and without my pistol and a lion on the loose we headed back to the truck to go get momma. We made it back and started the track over only to come to the same end. We looked everywhere, nothing, I even text my brother and Smart to look up tracking dogs near Harper for me. This was way too good of a blood trail to just stop! We started looking at the rocks and which side the blood was on and what we thought at first was the entry and exit side both bleeding was actually the Buck making a 360 and going back down the exact same trail for about 30 yards until it branched off. We made a bend around a tree and I saw something not much further up and told Weston to take over the track and I grabbed my phone and turned on the video. Needless to say we were excited and on cloud 9 when we found him. After everything being so crazy this past year it was nice for this to come together for Weston he has earned it and then some. Now it is time to focus on momma and her getting a big buck also she is way past due!

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Nice job Weston!!! Good luck!!!

Comment

Heck yeah! Way to go, enjoy your time together and be safe!

Comment

Way to go!!! Congrats to the whole fam!

Comment

Congrats little man!

Comment

Heck yeah! Congratulations Weston!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes sir! Congrats bud!

Comment

Awesome! Congrats Weston!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk